Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions to Sport Bucket Seat Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Questions to Sport Bucket Seat Drivers

Hey guys. I have the following questions regarding sport bucket seats. Please share your experience, past and present. Appreciate it.

- The bucket seats I have seen so far in Spyders have alcantara bottom. Someone here commented that it is like velcro; sticks you down real good. Does it make you uncomfortable? Does it bunch up the dress? How is it for female passenger in dress?
- How comfortable is it for long distance trips?
- Is it possible to keep it in good shape (may be not as good as the leather)?
- Now that you have experience using it for a period of time, would you order the bucket seats again (with alcantara bottom)?

Thanks everyone. cheers.
henry.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Hey guys. I have the following questions regarding sport bucket seats. Please share your experience, past and present. Appreciate it.

- The bucket seats I have seen so far in Spyders have alcantara bottom. Someone here commented that it is like velcro; sticks you down real good. Does it make you uncomfortable? Does it bunch up the dress? How is it for female passenger in dress?
- Now that you have experience using it for a period of time, would you order the bucket seats again (with alcantara bottom)?

Thanks everyone. cheers.
henry.
1) Alcantera s like suede not velcro. It will hold you in the seat as in not slip better than leather but is not clingy like velcro.

2) Both my wife and I like sport buckets, but since my wife is short I do have a removable cushion for her. We have taken long trips in the seats and find them very comfortable. Did I mention that we are both over seventy and I have a bad back.

Alcantera wears very well.

Would I order them again YES the most comfortable and supportive Porsche seats made.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Huge fan of the buckets and the alcantara. Can't go wrong.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Ditto.....
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks everyone. cheers.
henry.
I don't think the buckets would bunch up a dress or create that level of friction that would make it uncomfortable for a female. I would how say that getting into and out of sport buckets might be interesting if wearing a skirt or shorter dress.

Buckets are extremely comfortable for short and long distance driving. Personally I think they are one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had in a car. I had no intention of ordering them with my car but the Spyder I test drove had them and I absolutely loved them.

Alcantara wears just as well as any other surface, the key is to keep it clean and maintain it.

I like the look of the Alcantara better than leather and I think it will wear better with time so yes I would order them that way again if I had to.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Alcantara wears better than leather. Bucket seats are tough to get in and out of. Once you're in, they fit like a glove. IMO, Spyder/R/GT3 aren't complete unless they have bucket seats. If you want a comfy cruiser DD, these aren't the right cars anyway.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey guys. I have the following questions regarding sport bucket seats. Please share your experience, past and present. Appreciate it...
Does it bunch up the dress?
How is it for female passenger in dress?
I think Jack & Afshin already answered your second question. As for the first one, Henry, I suggest you stop wearing a dress when you drive and then there is nothing to worry about!

All I can add to this conversation is that Spider-Man loves the Porsche gt2 'sport bucket seats'...but then I have only seen him wearing stretch tights when he drives!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the sport buckets, like putting your entire body into an Italian shoe.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
As for the first one, Henry, I suggest you stop wearing a dress when you drive and then there is nothing to worry about!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 AM
camagna
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are totally comfortable. No problems at all with my wife and none at all with my back. Best seats ever. Won't get another Porsche without them.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will kick yourself if you dont get them.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome! Thanks a lot, gentlemen, for sharing your experience and views. Your comments solidified my thoughts. The question of bucket seats is settled in it's favor.

f4 plt:
You answered a question I didn't ask, though it lingered in back of mind: how would these seats hinder as we get older? At this point in life (47) and given the automotive landscape (manuals and NA engines going away), I only want to get cars and motorcycles that I will keep for the remainder of life. So, glad to hear you and your wife are comfortable with these.

Afshin, the_vetman:
Getting in and out of the bucket seats could make an experience by itself! I always open the door for my girl. Sometimes, I give her a hand when in and out when she is on heels. So, it should work out fine. And, good to hear alcantara wears better than leather. I am particular about meticulous maintenance anyway.

Eduardo:
That was funny! I should take your advice and stop cross-dressing! :-) But, I try to be a closet-dresser!

Love those seats, by the way!

terbiumactivated:
Like the Italian shoes analogy. Check out Mephisto; super comfy shoes. No affiliation.

camagna:
Nice to hear it's got your wife's approval.

Thanks again everyone; appreciate every one of your comments.

cheers. henry.

Quick Reply: Questions to Sport Bucket Seat Drivers