Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche, and this forum!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Porsche, and this forum!

*Updated build specs 4/7/2014*
Ordered my first Porsche this weekend. After driving both the 991 C2 cab with base suspension and a 981S with PASM, my wife and I both preferred the Boxster. It wasn't apples to apples because of the suspension differences but was enough to show us that we are not just perfectly content with the 981, but absolutely thrilled with it. I have some questions about some of the factory options, as well as aftermarket mods that i will be asking over the course of the next few weeks. The build is for late June so I have a few weeks to finalize any remaining options. I deliberated over going with the GTS, and even had the opportunity to spec out their only allotment at this time. However, it would be an early fall build and the discount would be minimal, if any at all. I got what seems to be a reasonable discount for a 2015 build at this point. I could have done better on an in stock 2014 but none had everything I wanted and they couldn't find one in their locator.

Here is my build as it stands right now. * I wasn't going to add any "cosmetic" options but I really like the way the crests in the headrest add that classy styling. The white dials are functional, due to the poor contrast of the grey tach, so they aren't really cosmetic. My wife really wants the back up camera for when she drives it so it's an added "safety feature".

2015 Boxster S

P9D Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)

P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System

0Q Exterior Color White

8V Roadster Top in Red

NG Interior Color Natural Leather Interior in Garnet Red

547 Supplemental Safety Roll-Bar Painted in Aluminum Look

498 Deletion of Model Designation

603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)

220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)

X73 Sport Suspension

480 Manual Transmission

400 19" Boxster S Wheels

583 Smoking Package

P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package

840 SportDesign Steering Wheel

998 Natural Leather Interior

XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest

XFJ Instrument Dials in White

638 Parking sensors with reversing sensors

Last edited by Speeddeacon; 04-09-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Altered the build.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Orange Leader
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you and your wife hooked it up right. You have until now and June to come up with the perfect playlist of mp3's.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love your color combo. My local dealer had that combo, kept catching my eye.

I'm driving a new Cayman, White/Beige. Mine has the multi-function wheel and I like it a lot you can do just about ever thing with your 2 thumbs, don't have to take yours hands off the wheel. If I was ordering again it would have CF multi funct wheel which is also heated.

I spent hours on the configurator building Boxster/Cayman. Every Boxster I built had to have color match roll bars. Don't even recall seeing aluminum look in config. [might be new for 2015]

Like the wheels you have, but prefer the Cayman S wheels mine has.

You have PASM and X73 ? Didn't think that was possible.

Manual transmission is also my preference, but if you wanted to accommodate the wife with a PDK it would not be a bad thing. The PDK is about the closest thing you can get to a manual without a clutch.

One more thing I would add is PS+, only $270.

Also take a look at White gauges in the configurator. Really compliments the white ext when top is down.

Oh yea, if you haven't driven a manual with Sport Chrono, make sure you do before final cut off. The SC w/manual adds rev matching which is really cool.

Last edited by perretar; 04-01-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 50 Posts

Great build! Very simular to my new CaymanS build which will arrive in July.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice build. Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pix after it arrives.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by perretar
Love your color combo. My local dealer had that combo, kept catching my eye.

I'm driving a new Cayman, White/Beige. Mine has the multi-function wheel and I like it a lot you can do just about ever thing with your 2 thumbs, don't have to take yours hands off the wheel. If I was ordering again it would have CF multi funct wheel which is also heated.

I spent hours on the configurator building Boxster/Cayman. Every Boxster I built had to have color match roll bars. Don't even recall seeing aluminum look in config. [might be new for 2015]

Like the wheels you have, but prefer the Cayman S wheels mine has.

You have PASM and X73 ? Didn't think that was possible.

Manual transmission is also my preference, but if you wanted to accommodate the wife with a PDK it would not be a bad thing. The PDK is about the closest thing you can get to a manual without a clutch.

One more thing I would add is PS+, only $270.

Also take a look at White gauges in the configurator. Really compliments the white ext when top is down.

Oh yea, if you haven't driven a manual with Sport Chrono, make sure you do before final cut off. The SC w/manual adds rev matching which is really cool.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm trying to figure out if black dials are available as a Z option on the 981. I've seen some posts where that is mentioned. My SA is supposed to be checking on it for me. If so, I'll go that route, if not, I've decided to go ahead and add the white dials. I'm also going to add the crests in the headrests. It looks very nice with the top down with it I think.

I did drive a sport chrono equipped manual. I enjoy rev matching myself and it still isn't worth the money to me.

Wheels are so subjective. I like all of them except Carrera classics, which aren't really my favorite. My favorite is the Sport Techno, and they are shod with a 285 rear (doesn't show in configurator but it's true), but again, the money is just too steep.

No my car does not have PASM, only x73.

The color I'd really like to have is the Oyster Grey on the 50th Anniversary 911. I'd love to pair that with the Garnet Red.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Orange Leader
You have until now and June to come up with the perfect playlist of mp3's.
About that, does anyone know if there is a size limit on the USB stick that the PCM will utilize?

I have all my mP3's, 25k files at about 145gb, on a 256gb flash drive. My wife's 335i won't index that many files. It tops out at 15k, per the owner's manual. How about Porsche?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Very nice!

The one driving experience option I would suggest to consider would be sport exhaust.

Also if you search here or google is there are mixed thoughts on PTV.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 524 Posts

Make sure it has Xenons and heated seats. I don't know where you are located, but if you are going to drive it in cool weather, you will quickly appreciate a heated steering wheel.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speeddeacon
Thanks for the compliments. I'm trying to figure out if black dials are available as a Z option on the 981. I've seen some posts where that is mentioned. My SA is supposed to be checking on it for me. If so, I'll go that route, if not, I've decided to go ahead and add the white dials. I'm also going to add the crests in the headrests. It looks very nice with the top down with it I think.

I did drive a sport chrono equipped manual. I enjoy rev matching myself and it still isn't worth the money to me.

Wheels are so subjective. I like all of them except Carrera classics, which aren't really my favorite. My favorite is the Sport Techno, and they are shod with a 285 rear (doesn't show in configurator but it's true), but again, the money is just too steep.

No my car does not have PASM, only x73.

The color I'd really like to have is the Oyster Grey on the 50th Anniversary 911. I'd love to pair that with the Garnet Red.
The white gauges turn black at night, really sharp.
So what is a "Z option" ?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Looks like a GREAT build. I've spec'd a bunch out now, going between a bare bones non-S drivers car to fully loaded. My list always includes the Sport Seats Plus (to get the extra outer bolsters for driving the twisties) and the X73. There is some discussion about the X73 is TOO harsh for daily driving so I am going to try and find one to drive. Short of the seats, our options are pretty close.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

I've driven the x73... It's perfect, even for DD!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I've driven the x73... It's perfect, even for DD!
Nice. Tx!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by il pirata
Very nice!

The one driving experience option I would suggest to consider would be sport exhaust.

Also if you search here or google is there are mixed thoughts on PTV.
I'm planning to go the aftermarket route, actually. Regarding the PTV, I deliberated over it and decided to go ahead with it. I'd skip the braking part if I could get the LSD only. I will be my DD so most of the time it won't even come in to play.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by perretar
So what is a "Z option" ?
Those are the "individual" options. Most of them are things like paint to sample, deviating stitching, etc.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, and this forum!