Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drove my car today but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,143 Likes on 688 Posts
Default I drove my car today but...

Went to meet with my CPA today. He's a car guy, so I checked the radar (clear) and since it was 50, I took the Boxster. Poured. Hard. As soon as i left home. That's OK. It slipped a little in a turn I took maybe a bit fast (P zeros), but what a car. Too much fun to keep in the barn October to April.
So, I'm thinking of getting a C4/C4S with a second set of snow tires to drive year round in all but the worst weather, when I'll hop in the Tundra.
I've accepted the fact I'll get slaughtered on depreciation if I make the move this year. I'm thinking of ordering a '15 that arrives in the fall/winter after driving the 981 this summer (can't afford/justify both).
Am I crazy? This winter has been unusually bad here, but I think I'm sick of having a car parked 6 months a year (all of my 911s were 2WD).
Thoughts? I work with heart surgeons, so it's pretty hard to hurt my feelings...
Old 03-28-2014, 07:03 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

life is short...get what you like...get what makes you laugh...get what makes you smile

almost 100,000 miles on my 2010 Cayman, I still love it every time I get in it

you can tell it doesn't get locked up...ever
Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know where you live, so I don't know what amount of snow you deal with, but you might consider trying the Cayman with really good snow tires before you bail out of it for an AWD car. Over on the 996 forum, many are reporting that they drive their C2s all winter long with snow tires.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I don't know where you live, so I don't know what amount of snow you deal with, but you might consider trying the Cayman with really good snow tires before you bail out of it for an AWD car. Over on the 996 forum, many are reporting that they drive their C2s all winter long with snow tires.
Agree. A set of winter wheels and snow tires are all you really need. When I used to live in Michigan, I drove a G35 coupe (RWD) with Snow tires and could get though the snow better than SUVs on all-seasons. It's all about the tire.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

My $0.02.. If you can afford it, do it! I am fortunate enough to live in an area where it's good driving weather year-round. But, if I lived in a snow-belt area (which I did, for many years), I'd get a Porsche that I didn't feel I needed to garage for half the year. That would drive me crazy more than the snow would.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,143 Likes on 688 Posts

Thanks, guys. We live in a secondary snow belt and have reliably bad weather from October to April/May (3-5" snow and ice predicted for today/tonight). Overall I really like living here, as my main interest outside of family and work is Bowhunting deer - I would drive a minivan before I would give up my archery tackle. But nice cars are right up there.
The Cayman is a great car, but if I make the move, I am thinking AWD with a sunroof for the 11 sunny days a year we enjoy.
The performance and handling of the Boxster is certainly already more than adequate for my needs and skill level. Tough call but I've been storing P cars for the winter since 1991 and I just might have had my limit...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You have the perfect car -- keep it. This was an exceptionally long and strong winter so no wonder you're having these thoughts. Personally, I have no desire to drive when it's ugly, cold, or slippery out there. If I must, then I won't enjoy it so any car/truck would do. Driving my sports/track/joy car every day and in all conditions would take away most of the pleasure I extract from driving it.

Besides, it feels like unwrapping a new present every spring.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can drive your Boxster almost year round right now as equipped. However, currently with your performance tires, I wouldn't go out when there is snow on the ground, and drive slow when the temperature is below 40 deg.

If you want a car that you can enjoy even below 40deg, and snow on the ground, then buying a set of quality snow tires is your best and most economical option. I wouldn't get a C4/C4s, unless that is what you want.

I live in the NY suburbs. We have terrain. My Spyder is a fair weather only car. But prior to that, all my RWD cars (5 BMW's) were almost driven daily. Snow tires goes on in Nov, come off in April. I have never gotten stuck, never spun around. There is a road near me that is probably about a 10% grade, I have driven up that road with an inch or two of unplowed snow. It wasn't fun, but it will do.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

+n for winter snow tires on your 987. C4 isn't going to corner or stop any better in the snow than a 987 would; don't forget that all cars have 4-wheel braking!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

+1

All you really need is snow tires.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I live in the NY suburbs. We have terrain. My Spyder is a fair weather only car. But prior to that, all my RWD cars (5 BMW's) were almost driven daily. Snow tires goes on in Nov, come off in April. I have never gotten stuck, never spun around. There is a road near me that is probably about a 10% grade, I have driven up that road with an inch or two of unplowed snow. It wasn't fun, but it will do.
Get a real AWD with snow tires. (997.2 might do the trick, but 996 and 997.1 won't) You'll be invincible in the winter. 2" on a hill? I don't even notice. I drove into 8" of unplowed snow in the empty parking lot and did donuts one snow stormy day without a second thought. Car gets plowed in with foot+ piles around it? Whatever, I'll just drive through that.

Yes, it's true that you CAN get by with a RWD and snows, but you're going to have to take extra care and there will be some situations that you'll need to avoid where an AWD would handle it just fine.

I've had WRXs in the past and currently drive a BMW X1 in the winter (with snow tires) and there's really no comparison.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Orange Leader
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get what you really like. If you settle for something "2nd best" (at least on your list), then you'll always be reminded of what you really like and would rather have. That goes for everything ;-)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

OTOH, it's nice to not be car-poor. Nothing wrong at all with a Boxster!
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (09-15-2024)

Quick Reply: I drove my car today but...