Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I think that the 981 platform is grossly overpriced
do you think the 991 platform is grossly over-priced too?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

One question that hasn't been adequately discussed, for those who are shopping for a street car: How long do you plan to keep it, and how much do you plan to drive it?

Go test-drive some cars.... but not a brand-new Corvette or Porsche. Hit the used-car lots and drive a five-year-old Porsche with 50000+ miles on it, then do the same with a Corvette of similar history. If you are not swayed to the Porsche side by this experience, then it's very possible that the C7 will be a better fit for your situation. Likewise if you are the sort who only drives 2000 miles a year, the C7 will likely be as good a candidate as any. You won't drive it enough to get tired of it.

I have high hopes for the C7 and welcome it wholeheartedly to the automotive scene, even though I think it looks like the result of inadequate employee drug testing at the Frank Gehry studio. Porsche (and everybody else) desperately needs competition. I'd never look down on anyone for taking advantage of the bang:buck ratio offered by a Corvette. But having owned both, I am personally very happy so far with my decision to spend nearly two C7s worth of cash on a lowly 981S Boxster. There was, as they say, no substitute.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
OK, I'm sure this is not the first thread on this topic, nor will it be the last, but:

I need a new daily driver, and the two options that keep coming up are the Cayman S and the 2014 Z51. Either would be new, and the options I'm looking at put them at about $59K for the Z51 and $77K for the Cayman. My driving is aggressive, but this one probably won't see much in the way of track time - I have a dedicated purpose-built race car for SCCA events, and that consumes my track budget.

Equipment I am considering:

Cayman S: 6MT, Burmester, Sport suspension, Sport Chrono, Sport Seats Plus, Carrera S wheels, SportDesign wheel.

Z51: 7MT, 20" wheels, Magnetic suspension, performance exhaust. I would aftermarket the audio for the Z51 - Bose is not an option that I will entertain for either car, under any circumstances.

I think I prefer the Porsche, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I justify $15K (assume $3K for audio in the 'Vette) more when my wife asks why I didn't just buy a 'Vette (or M3, but that's not a serious contender). The Z51 just looks like a screaming bang-for-the-buck in comparison...but is it really?

Aside from the seats, where the Cayman is the absolute undisputed victor, what are the other real-world differences that I should consider?
Not too many 981 buyers select sports chrono with a MT. With PDK sports chrono is almost a must, but it offers little for a MT. If you eliminate that option that reduces the price differance to around $13K.

When will you make your purchase? If you buy this year, you will pay list price for the Vette whereas you should have no problem getting 7% off the sticker of a Cayman S. That reduces the price differance by another $5K. So now the price differance will be around $8K.

The Z51 is still a great deal for the right buyer. In my case I would never consider the Vette for two reasons: 1. The GM dealers near me are the absolute pits. I wouldn't have a $20K Chevy Nova serviced at them, much less a $60K Vette. 2. My second reason is purely subjective. Vette screams mid-life crisis to me, whereas a Cayman S signifies class and elegance.

As someone who has owned many 911s over the past 40 years, I have a favorable bias to the brand. During that time frame I have had the pleasure of meeting numerous Porsche owners, and I have never met one who regretted their choice, notwithstanding the fact that there were always less expensive alternatives to chose from.

My current car is a 981S Boxster and it has given me as much pleasure as the previous car I owned, a 997S. BTW the discounted price for my 981S was $69K. That certainly isn't inexpensive, but it's significantly less than the $105K I paid for my 997S.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I think simply comparing the cars, ignoring price, the issue comes down to QUALITY. This is where the Porsche shines and the Corvette (likely) dims.

If you want the faster of the 2, of course get the Corvette. (But you do have the race car, and you say that raw 0-60 doesn't really concern you).

If you want the brasher of the 2, definitely get the Corvette.

If you want the FINER of the 2, get the Porsche.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a Corvette but I've read many, many reviews. I've owned 8 Porsches.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
One question that hasn't been adequately discussed, for those who are shopping for a street car: How long do you plan to keep it, and how much do you plan to drive it?
Good input - I'm looking for a daily driver, and my current DD is a 2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion with 175K on the clock. I tend to buy with cash and drive 'em 'til they drop. Good point re: long-term GM vs. Porsche quality.....

Originally Posted by fast1
Not too many 981 buyers select sports chrono with a MT. With PDK sports chrono is almost a must, but it offers little for a MT. If you eliminate that option that reduces the price difference to around $13K.
Hmmm... Could also bag the Burmester and go after-market....

When will you make your purchase? If you buy this year, you will pay list price for the Vette whereas you should have no problem getting 7% off the sticker of a Cayman S. That reduces the price difference by another $5K. So now the price difference will be around $8K.
Probably will order in about a month.....good point on the lack of negotiability w/ 'Vette.

Originally Posted by fhp911
If you want the faster of the 2, of course get the Corvette. (But you do have the race car, and you say that raw 0-60 doesn't really concern you).

If you want the brasher of the 2, definitely get the Corvette.

If you want the FINER of the 2, get the Porsche.
Good summary!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM
StanNH
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Having been an owner of a 2005 C6, I learned a lesson, never buy the first year of a new model corvette. And actually I think waiting 3 years would be even better.
I think this especially applies to the C7. There is a massive amount of new technology in the C7 and I just don't have the confidence that Chevy can pull this off without some major issues.
And besides, until the magazines start testing the production units, we really don't know what the C7 will be.
I also owned a 2005 C6, as well as a 2009. While the 2009 was the more reliable car, it still had its share of issues. The 2005, for the first two years of ownership, was in the shop every four or five weeks with a variety of service issues and recalls.

Keep in mind that the C7 does not yet exist as a production car. It won't start actual production until August, followed by September deliveries. GM has done an excellent job in coming up with a fresh design that has the whole car community buzzing. The early performance numbers look awesome, and I'm sure the car will be a huge success.

Still, I would never again put myself in the position of owning a first year Vette. I certainly am not yet convinced that GM has overcome all the build quality issues that have been associated with virtually every Vette they'e ever produced. Even if they have, I doubt that the C7 will have the feel of any 981. All Vettes I've ever owned or driven feel big ... there's no other way to describe it. Although the physical dimensions are not dramatically different from the 981, the car feels and looks huge in comparison. It is not a sports car, nor does it feel like one. It is a brutally fast muscle/GT car that can stick around corners and compete with almost anything out there on a racing circuit. In spite of that, I find my own 981 S the much more enjoyable car to drive. It feels better, it's more comfortable, it handles better in street driving, and the fit and finish and quality of components are all way ahead of anything GM can offer.

My Corvettes were fun to own and drive, and I believe the C7 is another evolutionary step forward for the marque but, based on the pre-production cars that are now out there, I can't see it as a viable alternative to the 981. It's just too different in its approach and execution. I'd love to get my hands on one and spend a day driving it, but ownership is definitelly not in the cards for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

01 corvette bought new and put 118k felony fun miles on it 1 dealer issue. 07 z06 bought new and put 50k insane miles on it 1 dealer issue. 09 cayman bought new now has 18k ho hum miles on it. 4 dealer repair visits.........seat leather,rear hatch hinge and pieces of trim falling off. after the corvettes it was time to slow down........porsche delivered there
Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 AM
Instructor

Drive each one first... that will probably be more telling than opinions. But since you asked...
Had an 08 Z51 LS3 that I DE'd, autocrossed and DD'd for ~ 3 years before buying my Cayman R.
I equally enjoy both cars for different reasons, most already cited. Regardless of which you choose, you may want to spend as much time researching dealers. As well engineered as Porsche is, its still a man made product and subject to occasional flaws. I had much better support from my local Chevy dealer (NOT where I bought the Vette) than I've had from my Porsche dealer (who hasn't yet charged me for the air I consume in his dealership but no doubt probably would if he could).
Not that fuel economy is an issue, but I definately got better mileage in the vette (true 28 mpg at 80 mph hiway speeds and ~ 7mpg on the track vs. 22/6 in the R).
Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by 5500
Drive each one first... that will probably be more telling than opinions.
True. I'm resurrecting this thread now that the Stingray is released, and I'm about two weeks out from making a purchase (order) decision. Has anyone here driven both the Stingray and the 981 Cayman S?

I saw a Z51 in person a week ago; nice lines, but I also saw mis-aligned body panels, a few things that just didn't fit right, etc. No chance to sit in the car, so only had external view...and none are yet in nearby dealerships to go see. Still worry that the seats aren't going to really be a great fit for a smaller guy like me (~160 lbs).

I'm thinking it's down to either:
Cayman S with sport seats plus, manual, sport suspension...and not much more.
1LT Z51 w/ performance exhaust, competition seats.

There's some price difference there, but only about 10%.....I guess I need to try to find a Stingray to drive to compare against the Cayman. Of course, the news about the 981 GTS has me wondering if I should just wait for it, but.....
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

There's a similar thread on the 991 forum. You can just about get a Cayman and a C7 for the price of a well equipped 991. That's how I would go.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM
964Heaven
Banned

Originally Posted by clutchplate
So the C7 goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and pulls 1.11 g's....they're going to sell a lot of these. If you want a Porsche with similar numbers it's not going to be for less than $100k. If it's a choice of finesse or power, the C7 is going to make that a tougher decision, even for Porscheholics like me.
+1

I'm in the market since the demise of my 964 and I am inter eques by both the Vettle and new cayman.....
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only suggest you go here and read. Finally getting into the hands of the consumer. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...iscussion-142/

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:07 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Well, I finally made up my mind...and bought neither.

I ended up with a 2008 997.1 C2S - 6MT, PCCB, Sport Chrono, Yellow/Black. The Cayman S is nice, but this car is INCREDIBLE.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Sounds like a very wise choice... congrats!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Well, I finally made up my mind...and bought neither.

I ended up with a 2008 997.1 C2S - 6MT, PCCB, Sport Chrono, Yellow/Black. The Cayman S is nice, but this car is INCREDIBLE.
I have a 996tt and the eXwiFe has a 2007 Cayman S. The Cayman was fun to drive and very easy around town, amazing in the "dry" twistys, but it was a let down when it came to the power. It made a nice sound, but it didn't seem to move very fast.

The bad part was paying $67K in 2007 and seeing the value drop like a rock within two years. Oh well...she took it with her. Good riddance to both

Quick Reply: Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51