Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Tidbits I picked up re: Spyder during Historics Week in Carmel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tidbits I picked up re: Spyder during Historics Week in Carmel!

I tried to talk to as many folks (PAG types) that were somewhat 'in the know' regarding the Spyder at this week's events. Here is a summary of what I think I heard (in between the lines):

1) Spyder global sales in MY'11 and MY'12 totals are probably less than 2000. US sales in MY'11 have been reported around 700 and MY'12 will be 125 when all arrive and are sold.

2) New Boxster/Cayman platform will debut at beginning of next year - e.g. January, 2012 - probably at the Detroit Auto Show. Not the LA Auto Show in November of this year.

3) Porsche Exclusive developed the optional 'sport exhaust' for the Spyder and Cayman R, but not for the .2 911 series production cars. The former are apparently more successful and popular with customers. So Porsche Exclusive might get to do the optional 'sport exhaust' for the upcoming 991 (and of course the next Cayman/Boxster sport models). Good news for those of us that ordered SE on our Spyders and Cayman R's.

4) PTS will continue, as well as all the other Porsche Exclusive options, for the next platforms of Porsche sport cars. Production keeps testing the different paints against the new materials being used on cars - plastic, rubber, metals and aluminum. Some of the old colors are no longer being allowed by the production engineers to be used due to issues of quality control. RS Orange is a case in point. But they have others (like Pastell Orange) ready to take its place. In many cases, e.g. new Speedsters, they allowed PTS but only in colors already being used for current models since they knew those would work with the materials at hand. So don't lose hope. PTS is still being offered. It is just that it will take time to test colors against the new materials in use. Of course, other colors are not allowed because they are proprietary to a particular model (e.g. Sport Classic Gray, Speedster Blue) or against a copyrighted logo colors (e.g. Gulf Blue or Gulf Orange).

5) No decision has been made yet regarding not continuing with a Spyder model in the next Boxster platform. If it comes, it will more likely be several years after the introduction of the 'new' MY'13 Boxster in the late spring of 2012. So we may see another Spyder...given the VW groups plan to push out models out of Porsche.

6) Pete Stout confirmed to me that Excellence will have a head-to-head test between the Spyder and the Cayman R in the very near future. Same driver, same track, same weather conditions - and hopefully similar TIRES! Stay tune for the results of this comparison test in the next few months. I think it will surprise many enthusiasts!

7) Spyders were in short supply at our events here this week. A Silver/Red at Legends of the Autobahn and a White/Black at the Concorso Italiano Porsche corral on Friday. Zellamsee's Silver/Black at the Porsche Corral at Laguna Seca on Saturday. The Porsche test drive center had several Spyders in use for drives at their Quail headquarters, including the PTS Meteor Gray/Red 'Detroit Show Car'. Those were about all the Spyders I saw this week!

8) Both Wolfgang and Butzi Porsche were in town for Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Wolfgang did OK with the '49 Gmund coupe in an awful Pascha Red (brick) color. The car might actually be owned by his older brother Hans Peter. But Butzi did not do as well with his pre-war car - a '28 SSK - which was beautiful but ran against stiff competition in his class.

Saludos, z356 (resting after a busy week in Carmel)

Last edited by Z356; 08-23-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
7) Spyders were in short supply at our events here this week. A Silver/Red at Legends of the Autobahn and a White/Black at the Concorso Italiano Porsche corral on Friday. Sellamsee's Silver/Black at the Porsche Corral at Laguna Seca on Saturday. The Porsche test drive center had several Spyders in used for drives at their Quail headquarters, including the PTS Meteor Gray/Red 'Detroit Show Car'. Those were about all the Spyders I saw this week!
I wasn't at the Quail, but saw the cars mentioned over the weekend, plus a black one on the streets. Any word on why the white car at Concorso only had stripes on one side?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

z356,

thanks for the update and great news on PTS!

any word on end of Cayman R production, still look like November?

will Boxster/Cayman intro be simultaneous or phased with Boxster coming first, then Cayman

cheers,
Steve
Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

for those looking for a Spyder, there are about 70 new ones in dealer inventory, approx 80% are either white or black

Spyder global sales in MY'11 and MY'12 totals are probably less than 2000. US sales in MY'11 have been reported around 700 and MY'12 will be 125 when all arrive and are sold.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JSF101
Any word on end of Cayman R production, still look like November? Will Boxster/Cayman intro be simultaneous or phased with Boxster coming first, then Cayman?
No, I didn't get a response re: Cayman R's end of production. Still hearing reports of allocations until November of this year at US dealers. If history is to be repeated, the new Boxster will debut first and then the re-designed Cayman.

RE:"for those looking for a Spyder, there are about 70 new ones in dealer inventory, approx 80% are either white or black". There may be an inconsistent method of reporting cars in dealer inventory via the PCNA website. Some of these are in fact pre-sold on specific customer orders yet show up as available inventory. So we will know shortly - after all the remaining Spyders arrive at dealers in US - if they are indeed pre-sold or not, perhaps by the speed in which they are delivered and taken off the websites. z356
Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

I tried to talk to as many folks (PAG types) that were somewhat 'in the know' regarding the Spyder at this week's events. Here is a summary of what I think I heard (in between the lines):

1) Spyder global sales in MY'11 and MY'12 totals are probably less than 2000. US sales in MY'11 have been reported around 700 and MY'12 will be 125 when all arrive and are sold.

2) New Boxster/Cayman platform will debut at beginning of next year - e.g. January, 2012 - probably at the Detroit Auto Show. Not the LA Auto Show in November of this year.

3) Porsche Exclusive developed the optional 'sport exhaust' for the Spyder and Cayman R, but not for the .2 911 series production cars. The former are apparently more successful and popular with customers. So Porsche Exclusive might get to do the optional 'sport exhaust' for the upcoming 991 (and of course the next Cayman/Boxster sport models). Good news for those of us that ordered SE on our Spyders and Cayman R's.

4) PTS will continue, as well as all the other Porsche Exclusive options, for the next platforms of Porsche sport cars. Production keeps testing the different paints against the new materials being used on cars - plastic, rubber, metals and aluminum. Some of the old colors are no longer being allowed by the production engineers to be used due to issues of quality control. RS Orange is a case in point. But they have others (like Pastell Orange) ready to take its place. In many cases, e.g. new Speedsters, they allowed PTS but only in colors already being used for current models since they knew those would work with the materials at hand. So don't lose hope. PTS is still being offered. It is just that it will take time to test colors against the new materials in use. Of course, other colors are not allowed because they are proprietary to a particular model (e.g. Sport Classic Gray, Speedster Blue) or against a copyrighted logo colors (e.g. Gulf Blue or Gulf Orange).

5) No decision has been made yet regarding not continuing with a Spyder model in the next Boxster platform. If it comes, it will more likely be several years after the introduction of the 'new' MY'13 Boxster in the late spring of 2012. So we may see another Spyder...given the VW groups plan to push out models out of Porsche.

6) Pete Stout confirmed to me that Excellence will have a head-to-head test between the Spyder and the Cayman R in the very near future. Same driver, same track, same weather conditions - and hopefully similar TIRES! Stay tune for the results of this comparison test in the next few months. I think it will surprise many enthusiasts!

7) Spyders were in short supply at our events here this week. A Silver/Red at Legends of the Autobahn and a White/Black at the Concorso Italiano Porsche corral on Friday. Zellamsee's Silver/Black at the Porsche Corral at Laguna Seca on Saturday. The Porsche test drive center had several Spyders in use for drives at their Quail headquarters, including the PTS Meteor Gray/Red 'Detroit Show Car'. Those were about all the Spyders I saw this week!

8) Both Wolfgang and Butzi Porsche were in town for Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Wolfgang did OK with the '49 Gmund coupe in an awful Pascha Red (brick) color. The car might actually be owned by his older brother Hans Peter. But Butzi did not do as well with his pre-war car - a '28 SSK - which was beautiful but ran against stiff competition in his class.

Saludos, z356 (resting after a busy week in Carmel)
Cool info thanks.

http://www.theaircooledguys.com/
The red Gmund coupe is owned by Hans Peter & actually won it's class, the first Porsche ever to do so at Pebble. It was restored by a friend Cam Ingram here in Raleigh, yes Peter Porsche subs his work outside of Porsche, kudo's to Cam & his team!
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Cam is bringing six cars from their own Ingram collection to the 'Porsche Race Car Classic' at the Quail on October 16th. No one should miss that event!

http://www.2011porscheracecarclassic.com/event-info

Congratulations to Cam and Rory (and Kevin Watts) on this spectacular restoration for the Porsche brothers at Pebble Beach! z356
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 125 for MY12? Wow, feels good to own almost one percent of the market
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

buy another one and you'll corner the market!

Originally Posted by balakris
Only 125 for MY12? Wow, feels good to own almost one percent of the market
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Eduardo thank you for posting what you learned.

Did your contacts confirm if Porsche has completed production of the 987 Spyder and or do you know if future allocations will be created? I know most of think that production has ended but with such a large gap between the 987 and 981 I wonder if they will continue to build more.

Can't wait to read the write up between the Spyder and Cayman R, really curious what the results will be although I suspect that the two cars will be identical in performance due to the lower weight of the Spyder. From what I've read most writers like the Spyder because it introduces more of your environment to the driving experience and the sound emanating from the Spyder is much more pronounced which further enhances the experience.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Eduardo thank you for posting what you learned.

Did your contacts confirm if Porsche has completed production of the 987 Spyder and or do you know if future allocations will be created? I know most of think that production has ended but with such a large gap between the 987 and 981 I wonder if they will continue to build more.

Can't wait to read the write up between the Spyder and Cayman R, really curious what the results will be although I suspect that the two cars will be identical in performance due to the lower weight of the Spyder. From what I've read most writers like the Spyder because it introduces more of your environment to the driving experience and the sound emanating from the Spyder is much more pronounced which further enhances the experience.
All whom I talked to confirmed, without equivocating, that 987 Spyder production is over, finito! July of 2011 was the last of the Spyders built, period.

Be in the lookout for the upcoming Excellence article pitting the Spyder vs the Cayman R! It is not about the so-called 'open cockpit' advantage of the Spyder - the fresh air, the noise, the bonding with nature and all of that jazz - vs the enclosed cabin of the Cayman R. It is all about road holding, suspension and confidence-inspiring performance! As a result, you will go faster (given equal drivers) in ONE of them. But you will have to wait for the article to come out to find out which ONE of these two great Porsche models is it! I think most of us will be surprised at the results of this face-to-face test. Saludos, z356
Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
jabbey
Advanced

All whom I talked to confirmed, without equivocating, that 987 Spyder production is over, finito! July of 2011 was the last of the Spyders built, period.
z356, so, when/who do you think will be able to come up with the info regarding VIN data on the THE very last Spyder built? If you have an inside track, I'd be interested as I think I'm certainly in the running with a July 18 build and the highest VIN number I've seen on these forums (last four being 5195). That would be pretty special to know I got the last one ever built. I don't need that of course, because this car is obviously unique and special regardless of when it was built. Loving it more every day.

Looking forward to the face-off article and thanks for the post.

John
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jabbey
z356, so, when/who do you think will be able to come up with the info regarding VIN data on the THE very last Spyder built?
I have sent an email to someone I know that works for Porsche and whom I met again in Carmel this past week. He will try to see if he can provide me with the information on the last VIN's after mine (#5187), JSF101's (#5189) and yours (#5195). Will keep all posted if I get a response. Regards, z356
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I have sent an email to someone I know that works for Porsche and whom I met again in Carmel this past week. He will try to see if he can provide me with the information on the last VIN's after mine (#5187), JSF101's (#5189) and yours (#5195). Will keep all posted if I get a response. Regards, z356
Great. I'll keep an eye out in this thread.

John
Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

I believe mine was built on July 18th as well

the azure blue is 5179

Originally Posted by jabbey
Great. I'll keep an eye out in this thread.

John

Quick Reply: Tidbits I picked up re: Spyder during Historics Week in Carmel!