Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 981 Boxster with 2.7L - performance upgrade questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:23 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.softronicsoftware.com/98...ance-software/

I love their tune for my CS. If you pull the trigger on a 2.7 try them. They got rave reviews from the 987 crowd for their tunes years ago. I would not doubt the claimed HP and Torque after installing mine.
The following users liked this post:
st981 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the Michelin PS4s on my Cayman and its a great tire. The dry grip is great, but the wet performance is what stood out to me the most especially in heavy rain. If you are going to upgrade your rims a lot of people go with a 9x19 in the front and 10.5x19 in the back and the Michelin PS4s fits those sizes.
st981 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Another item for consideration is the suspension. The base suspension is good, but an excellent upgrade is the X73 Porsche Sport suspension, which can be added after the fact with parts from Suncoast. Or if you happen to have the PASM adjustable suspension, a highly recommended upgrade is the TPC Racing suspension controller.
st981 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 10:00 PM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The X73 suspension looks like a nice kit...but for a more budget solution I've seen H&Rs though those have a bit of slammed look. I read Eibach's are a good compromise between stock and H&Rs? or is X73 worth the wait?

Another question...brake pads. The fronts are at 25% according to the inspection report. Can you guys recommend some decent brake pads that are street oriented but won't overheat from the occasional spirited driving on windy roads? I'm guessing the OEM pads are pretty good and best to stick with those?

My shopping list is getting longer and I haven't even picked up the car yet. So far I have the maintenance items, the Borla, may be 7mm spacers all around (stock lug bolts ok for that?), look for used 20" Carrera S wheels, lower the car about .75".
Old 06-26-2020, 09:11 AM
edmaverik
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by st981
The X73 suspension looks like a nice kit...but for a more budget solution I've seen H&Rs though those have a bit of slammed look. I read Eibach's are a good compromise between stock and H&Rs? or is X73 worth the wait?

Another question...brake pads. The fronts are at 25% according to the inspection report. Can you guys recommend some decent brake pads that are street oriented but won't overheat from the occasional spirited driving on windy roads? I'm guessing the OEM pads are pretty good and best to stick with those?

My shopping list is getting longer and I haven't even picked up the car yet. So far I have the maintenance items, the Borla, may be 7mm spacers all around (stock lug bolts ok for that?), look for used 20" Carrera S wheels, lower the car about .75".
Any photos of your Boxster that you can share?
Old 06-26-2020, 11:17 AM
st981
Instructor

Originally Posted by edmaverik
Any photos of your Boxster that you can share?
I don't have the car yet, pending paperwork. But here's the ad.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:59 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice sound but looks like it bypasses the cats? If so, that won't work out here in socal.
Don't expect any major performance gains from any of the available mods out there.
IMO Porsche did such a good job with engine design and setup.. all the performance mods are somewhat marginal.

If you're still on the fence about the exhaust upgrade.. consider what's known as the GT Exhaust Mod.
Can save some coin$ for other mods.. It really wakes up the exhaust and just by looking at it, you cannot tell it was modded.
The change to the sound is night and day. Engine breathes much better so the whole system operates smoother.

Thread on my GT Exhaust Mod and install-experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post16299603
Video and Sound:

The IPD Plenum is my next mod plan: https://flat6motorsports.com/collections/981-intake/products/ipd-competition-intake-plenum-981-cayman-boxster
Then maybe one of the available tunes for the final touch.

Enjoy your new Boxster. She's a beauty.
One of the Car & Driver Best Cars of All Time!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:08 PM
st981
Instructor

@CaymanCrush Thanks. Your car sounds great!
Old 06-28-2020, 11:47 AM
st981
Instructor

Hey guys -I picked up the car on Fri which is why I've been MIA. I've already got a major farmer's tan going on if that tells you anything lol Loving being back in a mid-engine car after 15 yrs (I used to track a MR2 and then an NSX), the car really hooks up mid-turn and encourages you to power out of a turn - if you hit the apex right. It's coming back to me lol

You guys were spot on -it's really wakes up after 4000rpm and imho sounds best around 4500rom at WOT where it growls...after that the note changes from a growl to a higher pitch but usually by that time I can't hear it as well over the wind noise. Anyway, to cure that I placed my order for the Borla exhaust from summitracing yesterday. I also have a few other parts coming in soon, gotta learn how to access the engine bay etc. Thinking I should probably do the intake cleaning it being a GDI motor?

Also, anyone know if the PAGID pads are better/worse? Otherwise it looks like Textar is the OEM supplier? if so, I'll just get those https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg1.htm#item1
Old 06-28-2020, 02:58 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey guys -I picked up the car on Fri which is why I've been MIA. I've already got a major farmer's tan going on if that tells you anything lol Loving being back in a mid-engine car after 15 yrs (I used to track a MR2 and then an NSX), the car really hooks up mid-turn and encourages you to power out of a turn - if you hit the apex right. It's coming back to me lol

You guys were spot on -it's really wakes up after 4000rpm and imho sounds best around 4500rom at WOT where it growls...after that the note changes from a growl to a higher pitch but usually by that time I can't hear it as well over the wind noise. Anyway, to cure that I placed my order for the Borla exhaust from summitracing yesterday. I also have a few other parts coming in soon, gotta learn how to access the engine bay etc. Thinking I should probably do the intake cleaning it being a GDI motor?

Also, anyone know if the PAGID pads are better/worse? Otherwise it looks like Textar is the OEM supplier? if so, I'll just get those https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg1.htm#item1
Congrats, please post some photos!
st981 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:00 AM
st981
Instructor

Sorry, haven't taken any good pics yet but here it is in the garage.

I've had the lift for over 13yrs and and have worked on many cars/suvs etc this is the first car I had trouble with. The lift's ramps are not long enough for the lifting spots on the car. I can only get either the front or the rear to line up above the lifting ramps. So one end of it would have to be lifted from the pinch-welded seams along the rocker panel but I wasn't comfortable with that as they can sometimes bend. So I decided to make some quick and dirty lifting blocks that will locate the pinch weld seam and also not put pressure on the flat panel covering the bottom of the car.

So far so good.

Got the air filters replaced with K&N as per EdMaverick and the old filters definitely looked like they needed to be replaced. Took a bit of head scratching to access the filters lol. Just folded the carpet back enough to access the filters. The driver's side was a pain to put back in for some reason but I got it done.

Also changed the pre and cabin air filters

Next will be the oil change.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:46 AM
edmaverik
Instructor

Sorry, haven't taken any good pics yet but here it is in the garage.

I've had the lift for over 13yrs and and have worked on many cars/suvs etc this is the first car I had trouble with. The lift's ramps are not long enough for the lifting spots on the car. I can only get either the front or the rear to line up above the lifting ramps. So one end of it would have to be lifted from the pinch-welded seams along the rocker panel but I wasn't comfortable with that as they can sometimes bend. So I decided to make some quick and dirty lifting blocks that will locate the pinch weld seam and also not put pressure on the flat panel covering the bottom of the car.

So far so good.

Got the air filters replaced with K&N as per EdMaverick and the old filters definitely looked like they needed to be replaced. Took a bit of head scratching to access the filters lol. Just folded the carpet back enough to access the filters. The driver's side was a pain to put back in for some reason but I got it done.

Also changed the pre and cabin air filters

Next will be the oil change.
Congrats on getting your ride home and on your lift! Talk about game changer!

How do you like the K&N air filter?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 PM
st981
Instructor

Congrats on getting your ride home and on your lift! Talk about game changer!

How do you like the K&N air filter?
Thanks man.
By the seat of my pants I can't really tell any difference but I do hear the vacuum/sucking sound when I snap the throttle. Can't wait for the Borla now.
Also considering a tune but are tunes hard on the engines and affect the longevity/reliability?
Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 AM
edmaverik
Instructor

Thanks man.
By the seat of my pants I can't really tell any difference but I do hear the vacuum/sucking sound when I snap the throttle. Can't wait for the Borla now.
Also considering a tune but are tunes hard on the engines and affect the longevity/reliability?
I noticed a difference in mine when immediately after I installed and went for a test drive. Perhaps, it is my engine only at 16,900 miles on the odometer. The Borla will shake things up.

Based on my research, any reputable tune stage 1 or 2 will be fine. I won't dare to go with custom tunes at all and jeopardize my engine. I just want to remove the 25 HP removed by Porsche from the factory.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:58 AM
st981
Instructor

I noticed a difference in mine when immediately after I installed and went for a test drive. Perhaps, it is my engine only at 16,900 miles on the odometer. The Borla will shake things up.

Based on my research, any reputable tune stage 1 or 2 will be fine. I won't dare to go with custom tunes at all and jeopardize my engine. I just want to remove the 25 HP removed by Porsche from the factory.
Oh really? I know they detuned the S engine to not jeopardize the 911 numbers and sales. Where can I read about the 25HP deliberate reduction in the 2.7L and for what reason?

Quick Reply: Looking at a 981 Boxster with 2.7L - performance upgrade questions?