Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 981 Boxster with 2.7L - performance upgrade questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:07 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 424 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by st981
Interesting, indeed mine has the infotainment and also the convenience package but there's gotta be a way to turn off the auto-circulation of the a/c in your's too. May be in the factory settings or another menu option?
The auto circ for AC settings are on the dash cluster controlled by the stalk on the steering column to my recollection, and not something set on the PCM unless Im missing something here?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:10 AM
jrobertson427
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
The auto circ for AC settings are on the dash cluster controlled by the stalk on the steering column to my recollection, and not something set on the PCM unless Im missing something here?
you can access it either way, via the stalk or in PCM. Both control the same setting, whichever way you do it. But it looks like via PCM might not be available to everyone, interesting...

Just drove 1,600 miles, I’ve had a lot of time to play with every setting possible
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:59 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobertson427
you can access it either way, via the stalk or in PCM. Both control the same setting, whichever way you do it. But it looks like via PCM might not be available to everyone, interesting...
FYI, I tried the stalk first but there was no AC setting in the vehicle settings, either. I think certain controls are not available unless you have the infotainment option.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:27 PM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I was able to access it via the pcm but for me neither unselecting auto-circ nor unselecting vent circulation remembered the off setting for the fan after key removal. I remember reading an old thread here in the 991.2 section I think where Porsche USA's cust service said sorry you can't turn it off.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM
st981
Instructor

A little weekend project yesterday, making the side anti-buffeting wings. Someone was nice enough to share the design on Thingiverse. I figured I'd try making them for testing purposes first before spending $100 from suncoast in case they don't work. I want to say they work but I only sprinted to 65 mph for short periods. I also removed the three wind deflectors to see if I like the cleaner look better.

Took about 10hrs to print

Then cut them apart and cleaned the edges

Finally, plasti-dipped and put them on with 3M foam tape

alvitdk (08-11-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:36 PM
st981
Instructor

A couple of small additions. I've been leaving my phone under the armrest but even with the built-in navigation sometimes it's nice to have the phone handy...to check Waze or the Starbucks app etc. My phone is too big for the magnetic holders that go into the vents plus they block the vents. Decided to make one in 3D and it works quite well.

Mount with a 17mm ball so it can accept many off-the-shelf holders

Garmin holder

Installed - I was using the phone to take the pic so no phone in the mount but it holds nicely so far

Also, given the lack of center console storage I added the door handle pockets which actually are surprisingly well made for the price and can hold an iphone or your date's hair ties etc.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by st981; 08-22-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:22 PM
jrobertson427
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of small additions. I've been leaving my phone under the armrest but even with the built-in navigation sometimes it's nice to have the phone handy...to check Waze or the Starbucks app etc. My phone is too big for the magnetic holders that go into the vents plus they block the vents. Decided to make one in 3D and it works quite well.

Mount with a 17mm ball so it can accept many off-the-shelf holders

Garmin holder

Installed - I was using the phone to take the pic so no phone in the mount but it holds nicely so far

Also, given the lack of center console storage I added the door handle pockets which actually are surprisingly well made for the price and can hold an iphone or your date's hair ties etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J39PJ3D/
I went back and forth with a phone dock - ended with the rennin magnetic phone mount and installed it on the passenger side. Works well enough - not the best placement when I have company, but it's my car :-)

Thanks for the link to the door pockets, buying those now
Old 11-27-2020, 01:50 AM
st981
Instructor

Been a while! Just a couple of small updates. I replaced the spark plugs and coils as part of preventative maintenance. Neither were needed but after 23k since the last spark plug change at 32k miles and the coils having never been changed I thought I'd go ahead and take care of it now. The job was a bit difficult due to very limited access so I'm glad I spent the extra money and replaced the coils anyway. I now have 6 spare coils lol.

Also replaced the tires with Continental ExtremeContacts - so far I like them a lot but not enough miles to really put them through the paces.

Oh and my Borla has quieted down very noticeably since new. I don't get the loud and rapid fire like I used to upon closing the throttle quickly. Also now the pops don't happen until the car's fairly warmed up...I actually kind of miss the attention getting rapid pops but I don't have to worry about getting pulled over now

CaymanCarver (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:32 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Hey, it's been a while! Good thing you replaced the coils and plugs. My wife's 2013 BMW 128i went through the coil issues this spring. One coil went and the dealer replaced it under the SULEV warranty. In the following week, a second coil went and this time the dealer replaced all remaining 5. Being a SULEV car, all parts and labor related to the emission control is covered for 10 years/100,000 miles. We got the CEL again in the summer and this time it happened to be a DMTL pump failure. It was replaced under the warranty as well. I knew the car was a SULEV when I bought it but didn't know anything about the SULEV warranty. The car is a keeper for at least 3 more years.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:09 AM
st981
Instructor

I'm glad the coils were replaced under the SULEV warranty, good to know for future. My current fleet of cars is ULEV only. Due to the location of the coils on our cars they say the coil failure is more common particularly cars that see track time. I just wanted to get it out of the way as I plan to take it on some longer road trips. Also, the way it idles makes it sound like there's a slight misfire the sound of it is like duk duk duk dummm...duk duk duk duk dummm. That 'dummm' part stands out. No change after the spark plug and coil change but may be that's how all the boxer motors are because I don't see misfires detected by the scan tool other than at cold startup due to fuel enrichment strategy to get the cats warmed up fast.
Old 06-24-2024, 03:38 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you mentioned about the sprint booster because I just saw something about it on the P9 forum and it piqued my interest. How hard is the install?

Also, really would love to narrow down the exhaust in the $1500 range (I'll install it myself), Borla seems to be a popular choice but for me the blue Boxster in the video doesn't have what I want. However, the 987 Boxster in the video I posted has a much smoother/nicer sound to me. I guess I'll have to find someone in the socal area to hear it live.
What I am going to do to my 981Base is install SierraRacking Supply's Sport headers(304 stainless) when they become available again at the end of July for about $1700. They have a 200 cell cat(not HJS cats the more expensive headers have). Once that is done, I will upgrade the ECU tune then. I had a previous upgrade when I installed an IPD Plenium and an 82mm GT4 throttle body so, the ECU upgrade will only cost me $300 from FVD Brombacher. If you have any questions about these headers Sierra Racing Supply Peter is great at responding quickly to your questions. Also, I've read very thread on Planet9 and Rennlist and I believe these headers are the best bang for your money. The design for these headers was created in Great Britian by Topgear and they look exactly like FVD and Soul Performance(304stainless) and FVD Brombacher's(316stainless) street headers. Just without the bling. Who cares about bling when they are under the car and you don't see them. We'll see how they perform in a month or so. To be continued......

Last edited by dlbehrns; 06-24-2024 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 981 Boxster with 2.7L - performance upgrade questions?