Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these rotors toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:46 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Are these rotors toast?

Looking for some input in the state of my rear rotors. Quite a few cracks as the pictures show; a few of them are about 7mm long, no cracks connect holes, no cracks reach the edge of the disk. My hope is to get 1 more track day out of these (at Laguna Seca).

2012 Cayman R, OEM rotors, GT3 MC, pagid yellows.

Thanks,
DJM

Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Prevailing wisdom says they are ok if cracks as you describe and they dont look bad. Would definitely check that they are still in spec width ( i think 26 mm but please double check)

cant hurt to have a spare set on hand.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:08 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 210 Posts

Honestly = they are toast.

The cracks (although admitted by you to not joining the holes) would have to be close.

For the risk vs cost argument - only you can decide.

what is a new set worth? in the US? $400 bucks?

Simon
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
imstimpy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are developing cracks but don't appear more than surface level yet. Width and depth are good indicators of wear- you cannot put a fingernail in them, they aren't an inch long, and they aren't connecting to other holes or edges.

It will be time to replace soon but as to how soon that is up to you.

How quickly did the cracks develop? Likely not in one session nor one day. I'd get a set of rotors on hand and monitor the current set session by session, day by day. I suspect you have more than one day left in them.

Here are my fronts, for reference. I'm taking them to Circuit of the Americas in two weeks:
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It’s not worth the risk IMHO, especially if you’re tracking the car. A disc failure can be dangerous and expensive, why risk that?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 327 Posts

Just replace them with slotted and/or dimpled disc... how much is your life worth by saving a few bucks?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:13 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I appreciate all the input, leaning towards replacing them.

To address the various questions: 'why risk it/just get new rotors/they are only $400/it is your life' questions:

I am not trying to save a buck, this is more a matter of time and timing: next event is soon and I have a busy/tight schedule and it will be a challenge to get the parts and get them installed in time. If it is a must, I'd get it done; if not, I'd prefer to wait. When I do buy new rotors, I am planning to upgrade the entire system to, at a minimum, Girodiscs, but quite likely I will upgrade to a BBK -- this makes it far less attractive to pull of the rear rotors, only to replace them again in the very near future.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd run them. My current fronts are worse than that (about 8 days on them running Pagid yellow).

I did take a spare set of new ones last event though, JIC.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Those are barely broken in.
The surface crazing is normal with drilled rotors. No significant cracks at all.
Should be good for several more track days, depending on your driving style, etc.
I doubt even the most ham-fisted driver could destroy those in just one more day.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:28 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Porsche WSM says any single crack from a hole longer than 5mm (about .200") is not acceptable, or any single crack that starts from or extends to the outer edge of the rotor .
Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

I have driven on track with rotors similar to that on my Cayman R.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
I appreciate all the input, leaning towards replacing them.

To address the various questions: 'why risk it/just get new rotors/they are only $400/it is your life' questions:

I am not trying to save a buck, this is more a matter of time and timing: next event is soon and I have a busy/tight schedule and it will be a challenge to get the parts and get them installed in time. If it is a must, I'd get it done; if not, I'd prefer to wait. When I do buy new rotors, I am planning to upgrade the entire system to, at a minimum, Girodiscs, but quite likely I will upgrade to a BBK -- this makes it far less attractive to pull of the rear rotors, only to replace them again in the very near future.

Cheers,
DJM
Take advantage of the lifetime warranty from FCP Euro when you buy new rotors. ~$500 for a set of Sebro OEM replacements. When they wear out again after half a dozen track days you get them replaced for the cost of shipping. Just replaced mine as they have similar cracks. While I can appreciate the functional upgrade Girodisc provides, they are still a wear item that you'll replace every couple years. I don't see the point in spending all that money just to spend 80% of again 2 years later.

Also, when you get to replacing things check the dust boots on the caliper pistons if you don't already do that regularly. I was surprised to find 14 of 16 boots were cracked and torn from the heat. This is after 7 track days, 6 of them with Pagid yellows. Added titanium shims in hopes that it doesn't happen again.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

The Porsche Shop manual puts an acceptable limit of 5mm on the crack length. The also say that if any crack extends to the perimeter, the disc needs to be replaced.

Oh, I just saw that Okie already said this...
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Those have a few weekend left
Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Agree with this. I found the same especiallyon the rear calipers. Dried and cracked.

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Take advantage of the lifetime warranty from FCP Euro when you buy new rotors. ~$500 for a set of Sebro OEM replacements. When they wear out again after half a dozen track days you get them replaced for the cost of shipping. Just replaced mine as they have similar cracks. While I can appreciate the functional upgrade Girodisc provides, they are still a wear item that you'll replace every couple years. I don't see the point in spending all that money just to spend 80% of again 2 years later.

Also, when you get to replacing things check the dust boots on the caliper pistons if you don't already do that regularly. I was surprised to find 14 of 16 boots were cracked and torn from the heat. This is after 7 track days, 6 of them with Pagid yellows. Added titanium shims in hopes that it doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply: Are these rotors toast?