Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R. Will it be collectable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:33 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Cayman R. Will it be collectable?

So last year in a separate discussion on whether or not I should trade my R in for a Corvette ZR1, I suggested during the discussion that the R MAY become collectable and folks on the forum virtually laughed me off the thread. Well I count 5 Cayman R's for sale nationwide at the moment and the price level is $5-10k more than last summer. So does anyone else think the R's will become collectable or am I smokin' something??

Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Long term they might be worth something but I don't think it will stand out like the GT cars. I do think the 987, particularly the R is the high water mark of caymans and the most fun to drive. The market might reflect that, might not. I probably wouldn't hold onto it in hopes of it being a collectable alone. If you are looking to move it on I think you should get what makes you happy
Old 04-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen one with the wheels color matched to the Peridot, can you post some more pics?

As far as collectability, I think it has the same potential as the Spyder. Whether that means they'll go up in value of any significance is another topic altogether.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the R and the Spyder will both be collectible if only due to the fact that they are rare (624 Cayman Rs and 826 Spyders produced for North America)

Furthermore, they were the lightest Porsche sold those years (and lightest models since those years, I think). They had nice upgrades over the Cayman S - more power, lighter weight. Aluminum doors from GT3 RS, lower suspension. They have that simple, analog, totally connected road feel, that makes them great driver's cars. I think those features add to collectibility and future values
Old 04-21-2019, 09:50 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I also notice more for sale and higher pricing but i wonder how many are actually selling and how close to asking price they get. They are fun to drive hard and tracking them is a blast. So if used as intended, and lifes too short not to, i am not sure how many ‘collectors’ will be genuinely interested. That seems to be a different crowd looking for original, low mile, unaltered cars.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:20 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve searched a few times over the last few months and noticed much higher prices for the R. It was definitely more than I expected. Collectibles or not the going rate is what actually counts. I’m not sure if they are actually selling for the asking price but the trend seems to point in that direction. I think it will end up being one of those forgotten cars due to introduction of the GTS and GT4’s and since it was produced for only a short period I think it will be more desirable in the future.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:16 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I just look at it as a car that has stopped depreciating. If you have the right spec, like yours, it's probably going to stay at a $50-65K level for a while. Unless you have a very low mileage one, and keep it low mileage, I have great doubts it will be a high dollar "collectible" in 5-10 years. It's one of those collecting mysteries why people want cars built for the track to not have been tracked, but that's what I see in Cayman R pricing.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. I see it as a car that is near the floor as far as value, assuming miles are kept low. I don't see it as a car that will end up raising in value significantly above the original MSRP. That said, it's definitely a car I'd like to have as the keeper in the garage. I'm sort of always shopping for a 987 Spyder or Cayman R. A GT3 may be the halo car, but for half the price (used) you can't tell me a Cayman R isn't at least 90% of the fun.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm a likely Cayman buyer at some point, pretty much my favorite driving Porsche. The only rub on the R, vs. the Spyder, is that the Spyder is so significantly different than any other 987 in terms of looks, functions (like top), and rarity. That is one thing about the R - looks are not that unlike an S, function is function, there is no quirky top, numbers are low.

Still think the R is the best bang-for-buck sports car possibly ever made but I'd be surprised if years from now it is seen as unique as a Spyder?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I'm a likely Cayman buyer at some point, pretty much my favorite driving Porsche. The only rub on the R, vs. the Spyder, is that the Spyder is so significantly different than any other 987 in terms of looks, functions (like top), and rarity. That is one thing about the R - looks are not that unlike an S, function is function, there is no quirky top, numbers are low.

Still think the R is the best bang-for-buck sports car possibly ever made but I'd be surprised if years from now it is seen as unique as a Spyder?
100% agree
Excellent assessment
Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

It already is collectible. Just like an air cooled 911 the owners are worrying about what driving it will do to it's value. Therefore, it is collectible.

If they were driven like a ten year old 944 was driven they wouldnt be collectible.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb

The R has a bit of differences over the S. Aluminum doors, Spyder wheels, 10mm lower suspension (X73), only +10 hp over the S but has a "quickened" throttle response, and the rear fixed wing increases downforce by 45%. Mine also had limited slip and a factory short shift linkage among a lot of other things like PCCB , LWBs, and Nav/SAT radio/Bose which weren't common options ($90k MSRP). I had my R and 2011 Spyder both at the same time. The R felt much quicker than the Spyder and felt much more planted even powering out of low speed turns. I had the R for about 18 months before getting the Spyder. Made me a little disappointed about the Spyder since I more expected it to feel like the R in chassis and power, which it doesn't quite. My Spyder didn't have PCCB so obviously the braking power was the only thing I knew wouldn't be equal. Loved both cars and wish I still had them both.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
The R has a bit of differences over the S. Aluminum doors, Spyder wheels, 10mm lower suspension (X73), only +10 hp over the S but has a "quickened" throttle response, and the rear fixed wing increases downforce by 45%. Mine also had limited slip and a factory short shift linkage among a lot of other things like PCCB , LWBs, and Nav/SAT radio/Bose which weren't common options ($90k MSRP). I had my R and 2011 Spyder both at the same time. The R felt much quicker than the Spyder and felt much more planted even powering out of low speed turns. I had the R for about 18 months before getting the Spyder. Made me a little disappointed about the Spyder since I more expected it to feel like the R in chassis and power, which it doesn't quite. My Spyder didn't have PCCB so obviously the braking power was the only thing I knew wouldn't be equal. Loved both cars and wish I still had them both.
The body kit for the R was basically the Sport Design Aero Kit (Bumper Spars, Side Intakes, Rear Wing) which any Cayman could be ordered if so pleased... So to the untrained eye, it wasn't that different. Where the Spyder had a complete different roof, rear hatch, Front Intakes/LED lights, Bumper Lip and Side Intakes... So cosmetically the Spyder seemed to have gotten more of a transformation. Some had wished that they gave the R a little more treatment in that field, to make it feel little more special.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM
CW987
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The Cayman R is rare, beautifully designed, light, raw, and quick. It's the definition of a special sports car. The R is very overlooked but I believe it will eventually be a desirable collectible.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:04 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

Without meaning to hijack the thread, every time I read/hear a discussion about the "collectibility" of post-OBD I cars, I wonder if the digital nature of these cars is going to change our definition of "collectible." Our current concept of collecting is based on cars that are basically analog machines, machines that require little more than basic lawn mower repair knowledge to make them run. On the other hand, the modern automobile is characterized by hundreds of sensors and relays, feeding multiple computers via factory developed proprietary software...And that's just what's required to get the engine to start!

If today, one of us came across a garage find a '60's era Porsche, Jaguar, Mustang, Corvette, or even a Ferrari, we would have a pretty good idea about what it would take to get the car running, shifting and stopping. If, in 2069, our grandkids come across a garage find Cayman of any vintage, will there will be any way to make it much more than a static sculptural display for our great, great grandchildren to ponder? I kinda doubt it.

...And that's a little bit sad to me

Okay, that's it. Here's your thread back.
The following users liked this post:
P_S (10-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Cayman R. Will it be collectable?