Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 40k mile 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 04:51 PM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 40k mile 981 GTS

Hey everyone!

About two and a half weeks ago I purchased my new(to me) 2015 981 Cayman GTS. Unlike the majority of GTS on the market mine has just under 40,000 miles (about 39870 right now if memory serves me correct). I've put about 700 miles on it since I bought it and I haven't owned a better car thus far. Here's a little about the car:

Now I'm sure there are those that would have looked at this car for sale and passed it up. It has it's areas where it does show it's mileage. The previous owner must've definitely dalied this car as he put nearly all the 39000 miles on it in a 3 year span. The driver's side seat leather and stitching on the side bolstering where one would enter is a bit worn, the door has some scuff marks I was able to remove from tip of shoes on exit, and somehow the rubber of the brake pedal cover is broken so the metal trim won't stay on. That's an easy fix too. As soon as I got it I scheduled it for it's 4yr/40k major service, as I was driving to the dealer the CEL came on (uh oh). Found out it was a failed catalytic converter, but luckily California actually saved me some money for once with it's emissions warranty. Hopefully if the other one is gonna go it will soon! After some digging I found out that this car definitely had aftermarket headers on it at some point. I also had a parking brake fault that came on after I got it but after the dealer visit (they didn't do anything about it) it's completely gone.

Now for most of you this might be cringe worthy, others maybe not. But the point is even though this car has got some wear on it and I had to address a few things at the end of the day I got my dream car, a 981 Cayman GTS and I love every second i'm behind the wheel of this thing. This is my first ownership of a Porsche and so far it's been amazing. There's still some other maintenance things I need to address. The car will need new tires very, very soon. I'm eyeing Michelin PS4S. No plans right now of doing any kind of engine or aesthetic modifications. I'm more interested in doing things like replacing the lug nuts that have been chewed up (one on one wheel is a silver one )

I'll update this thread as I do things to it. If anyone has any advice or things to look out for on 981 GTS i'd appreciate it. Thanks for reading! Now for a couple pictures

The following users liked this post:
GZ Boxster (08-13-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:18 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats on the new C GTS. Looks great!
Keep us posted on mods, tech questions, and any tips you can share.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Get some radiator / grill guards to keep crap off the radiators. Here’s one brand _ there’s others out there but I can’t remember the name. Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in and have a better suggestion.

you may want to look into titanium lug bolts. Here’s one suggestion - again hopefully someone can chime in with other options.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rad...nfo/E1002/2254 2258 2263

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1094...available.html

the only other thing to look out for is the awesome grip these cars provide
Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats on the GTS!

Enjoy in good health.
GTSDreamer (08-16-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Beautiful car, enjoy!!
GTSDreamer (08-16-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

As Jim137a said grill guards can help save you frustration from leaves, and road and track debris. We offer side intake grills for the 981 cars , check them out! www.radiatorgrillstore.com

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

RWPinNC (06-15-2020)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, also would recommend Numeric Short shift kit. It is awesome!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:25 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Congratulations! No doubt you'll continue to love the car. I had a 981 CGTS and it was an incredible car. Can't imagine that mileage would be a problem and hopefully it just encourages you to drive it even more!
GTSDreamer (08-16-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSDreamer
About two and a half weeks ago I purchased my new(to me) 2015 981 Cayman GTS. . . . . But the point is even though this car has got some wear on it and I had to address a few things at the end of the day I got my dream car, a 981 Cayman GTS and I love every second i'm behind the wheel of this thing. This is my first ownership of a Porsche and so far it's been amazing.
Love to hear this! Congrats, Dreamer, and welcome to Porsche ownership. What an amazing first Porsche. Continued enjoyment!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

40K miles??? It’s ruined!

Congrats - fantastic car.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:39 AM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Thank you everyone

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Get some radiator / grill guards to keep crap off the radiators. Here’s one brand _ there’s others out there but I can’t remember the name. Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in and have a better suggestion.

you may want to look into titanium lug bolts. Here’s one suggestion - again hopefully someone can chime in with other options.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rad...nfo/E1002/2254 2258 2263

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1094...available.html

the only other thing to look out for is the awesome grip these cars provide
Those grill guards looks very nice, i'll add them to the list. Tires are numero uno though

The titanium bolts are very nice, I had a set on my previous car. But my car has spacers and it states they don't offer a length for spacers

Originally Posted by masti99
Congrats, also would recommend Numeric Short shift kit. It is awesome!
This isn't for a PDK right?

Originally Posted by iammacey
Congratulations! No doubt you'll continue to love the car. I had a 981 CGTS and it was an incredible car. Can't imagine that mileage would be a problem and hopefully it just encourages you to drive it even more!
Most definitely! I'm going to be taking it on a canyon drive with a bunch of buddies this Saturday!

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Love to hear this! Congrats, Dreamer, and welcome to Porsche ownership. What an amazing first Porsche. Continued enjoyment!
Yeah I agree i'm stoked that it's my first one. When these released back in 2015 I couldn't stop looking at it, had it as my wallpaper for a loooong time.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:32 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

About two and a half weeks ago I purchased my new(to me) 2015 981 Cayman GTS. Unlike the majority of GTS on the market mine has just under 40,000 miles (about 39870 right now if memory serves me correct).
I purchased my Boxster GTS 18 months ago with 32,000 miles. I'm at 53,000 miles now. I'd be well into the 60s by now had I not bought a 911 less than a year after buying the BGTS.

Mine was used as a commuter car in Phoenix. As such, it piled on tons of highway miles in its first 18 months of life. The owner did not take car of the car like I would have. No PPF, no paint sealant, no real care for the interior, and a (repaired) chip in the windshield. But the worst part is what all the sand did to the paint and windshield. The car looked like it had been sandblasted. Particularly the windshield, headlights, and hood. I did a paint correction on it, but the damage was done. Honestly though, it was rather freeing. I take perfect care of it like I do all my cars, but I'm also not afraid to drive the heck out of it on group drives, autocross, and the track. The paint and interior aren't perfect, but that ship has sailed and I drive it without reservation.

In other words, I have zero concern about resale value. Mine is long past being a high value garage queen. It's a driver's car that is meticulously maintained. The person that buys it from me is going to be getting a hell of a steal on one of the best driver's cars money can buy.

I hope you find as much freedom in yours and get the same amount of enjoyment.
maschinetheist (12-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

This isn't for a PDK right?
Correct. He missed the PDK part on the options list.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:44 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts

Sweet ride! Porsches look really good in white. Great to see that the owner has swapped out the amber side markers for clear - that is the first mod that I did on my GTS.

Other mods/hacks that I had done include:
- Visor cover-ups to hide the yellow stickers on the sun visors
- I didn’t like having to leave my phone in the glove compartment to have it connected to the USB port, so I bought a 4’ long charging cable and ran it from the USB port in the glove box, under the plastic trim along the tunnel and into the arm rest.
- Hardwired my V1 from the pod above the center of the windshield.
- Expel film across the entire front clip, rocker panels, around side air intakes and near back of rear wheels.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:57 PM
la02max
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!! Depsite the minor issues, she's a beauty.

I'm in the same boat, actually. I also just picked up my first Porsche - a 2014 Boxster S with 15k miles on Saturday and what did I do? Drive down the west coast with it Enjoyed every second!

Hopefully you can get the few little issues ironed out and enjoy many miles behind the wheel of that amazing machine!

Quick Reply: My 40k mile 981 GTS