Japan Touring in a Cayman S. - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:50 AM
Kuro Neko
User

After swapping out the 987S side vents, they needed testing of course.
Details on the work here, but happy to see they vent like a vent should - plus the added benefit (to me), is they look a whole less fussy.
They even calm down the wheels-with-the-most-spokes look...

The weekend started in Boso Hanto and ended in Okinawa, where another white, horizontally opposed, paddle-shifter took over in touge hunting duties...

Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Kuro Neko
User

Umi Hotaru (Sea Firefly) is a PA in the middle of Tokyo Bay.
Part of the Wangan route, as well as being a truck and rest stop, it is also a great place to stop and admire the engineering of the Tokyo Wan Aqualine.
9km of tunnel and 5km of bridge, joined in the middle of the bay by the artificial island of Umi Hotaru.
24hr konbeni, restaurants, part of the TBM used for the tunnel, and great views of both Tokyo / Yokohama one way and Chiba looking the other.

While the 300km/h Wangan racers have stopped - as the road used to be unpoliced - Umi Hotaru still attracts drivers and interesting cars - mostly on a Friday night, Saturday night, or Sunday morning.
If you're looking for a car-focused excursion; some street Porsche, neon Lamborghini, and a smattering of kaido racers, Umi Hotaru is a good place to start...
Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 AM
Kuro Neko
User

Chiba coffee stop, then Okinawa coffee stop.
Kei car (yellow plates) are just as ubiquitous on Okinawa as they are on the mainland, for reasons not often understood outside of Japan.
Essentially though; more efficient use of space, shorter journeys, and smaller roads and parking all combine to make the segment support sales of vans, 4WD, pick-ups, cars, trucks, and sports cars. Even snow-tracked versions if you want.
All within the same dimensions, power output, and licensing regime.

Okinawa though is a very interesting place.
A wild mix of Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese, and US influences.
Everything from the food to the buildings and roads all has this bizarro world feel about it.
Not sure a GT86 is the right car for the island, and we only saw one 911, but a small 4WD would be a lot more suitable to the tight roads and jungle tracks.

It wasn't until the 1970s everyone there went from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive.
Bet that was a fun week after on the roads.
Crazy coastlines, strange looking domestic cats, beautiful beaches, cheap healthy food, Japanese whisky, castle ruins, scuba, sailing, etc.

There are even some Okinawans driving around in LHD JDM machines as a result - that's about as strange as it gets...
Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 PM
kiznarsh
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko View Post
What does that sign mean? Kids between 12 & 18 years old need to hold their parent's hand or be accompanied by a guardian? Trying to crack down on shenanigans?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 AM
Kuro Neko
User

Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
What does that sign mean? Kids between 12 & 18 years old need to hold their parent's hand or be accompanied by a guardian? Trying to crack down on shenanigans?
Shenanigans?
Or, maybe some malarkey or brouhaha!

It says, 'Sundays 14:00 to 18:00, Transit Mall from here to Kokusai-dori.'

A transit mall is closed to private cars, but open to taxi and buses.
Pedestrians otherwise...

Back in Tokyo, some errands about town:

Four white-and-black machines at Daikoku Futo on the way to pick up my partner from work in Yokohama.
The driver of the white 987.1 Cayman S did not notice he had parked two cars away from a white 987.2 Cayman S...
The guy in the 911 was having a cup of coffee and a smoke.

The photograph above is in my old street in Shibuya, and the shutter is the basket shop in this vid:

Omotesando weekend traffic (I was trying to photograph the 993).

The 1964 Tange Olympic Stadium in Shibuya is being spruced up for next year (now and a few years ago above).
For two or so weeks, I guess my commute driving past is going to be hell.

Local lunch spot in the countryside; fresh grilled mackerel and pork cutlets.

See ya!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: