Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Question - shifting getting difficult

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shifter Question - shifting getting difficult

I posted previously about shift cables and the GT3 shift console. I haven't done anything yet.

I've now had my 2006 Cayman S for 6,000 miles (it now has 30K). When I bought the car, I was really impressed with the smooth shifting but my only comparison is my '74 911 which shifts like an old truck.

Lately, the shifting is getting very vague and it seems to be getting more and more difficult to accurately get from 5th to 4th or from 2nd to 3rd. In fact, last night I almost could not get into 3rd from 2nd and paused for a few seconds before I could find 3rd. I do my best to relax and not move the shifter left or right when getting into 3rd or 4th and it seems to naturally go there when no pressure applied. However, I can feel stiffness and just not smooth anymore.

My question:
Until I can replace the cables and any shift bushings, is there any adjustments that can be done to improve shifting?
I'm definitely going to update the cables and shifter in the next couple of months but if there is something I can do this weekend, I'll do it.

Thanks,
Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

You can try re-aligning the shifter as a start. Here's a good video on it:

If there is play in the actual shifter, you can also try this mod.

I have done both, but ultimately went for the Numeric Shifter, which was the best solution for feel and gear engagement.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-to-shift.html

The 987 has a similar weight as part of the shift linkage, it might be the culperate.

Quick Reply: Shifter Question - shifting getting difficult