Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Manual Transmission Hard to Shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 PM
MikeyP
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981 Manual Transmission Hard to Shift

MY PROBLEM SOLVED - I have a 2013 Boxster S 77K miles with a manual transmission. The car was always hard to shift especially into 2nd gear. The other day after a week of not driving, the car wouldn't shift at all. It was frozen in neutral. Yikes! I called the local $tealership and they wanted it towed in for service. They speculated about transmission problems, etc. All I could envision was an invoice made out in Roman Numerals. I searched the forums and You Tube... but nothing. I decided for a DIY exploratory fix. A couple of hours later, I found the problem. There is a black cast wheel that is attached to the drivers side of the transmission. This wheel is a pivot point for the shift linkage. There is a 4" plastic linkage arm attached to the wheel and the shift linkage. The wheel has a copper type bearing in the center and there is a 30mm bolt that attaches it to the side of the transmission. The wheel is supposed to spin freely. Mine was rusted solid and could barely be turned even with a wrench on it. I popped off the plastic linkage arm. Using a 30mm wrench, I unbolted the wheel from the side of the transmission. I put the wheel in a vice and pressed out the bolt. Rusted solid. No lubrication at all. I wire wheeled the bolt, washer, and cleaned out the bearing surface as much as possible. I reassembled the entire unit with anti-seize on all moving parts. I torqued the bolt to 40 lb.ft. but that torque setting was a guess on my part. Couldn't find that spec anywhere so I just picked a reasonable number and rolled with it. Hooked up the plastic linkage piece. Now it's shifting like we the people and the little hitch I had going into second gear is gone too. Smooth and easy. Problem Solved. I hope this information can help someone who has shifting problems with their manual transmission 981. An easy check is to crawl under the car, pop off the plastic linkage arm and see if you can spin that black wheel freely. If not, take it apart, clean it, and lube the hell out of it. See pics.

Last edited by MikeyP; 08-24-2018 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaret (02-02-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

Good catch: glad it was an easy fix!

That wheel is just there to add some heft/inertia to the feel of the fore/aft shifts. It literally does nothing else. I tried disconnecting mine and honestly couldn't tell much difference in the shift feel, myself.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks for the tip! The 987 also uses a similar setup, I’ll have to make sure I get it lubricated next time it’s on a lift.

Did you spray lube underneath or do you have some oil weeping?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyP
MY PROBLEM SOLVED - I have a 2013 Boxster S 77K miles with a manual transmission. The car was always hard to shift especially into 2nd gear. The other day after a week of not driving, the car wouldn't shift at all. It was frozen in neutral. Yikes! I called the local $tealership and they wanted it towed in for service. They speculated about transmission problems, etc. All I could envision was an invoice made out in Roman Numerals. I searched the forums and You Tube... but nothing. I decided for a DIY exploratory fix. A couple of hours later, I found the problem. There is a black cast wheel that is attached to the drivers side of the transmission. This wheel is a pivot point for the shift linkage. There is a 4" plastic linkage arm attached to the wheel and the shift linkage. The wheel has a copper type bearing in the center and there is a 30mm bolt that attaches it to the side of the transmission. The wheel is supposed to spin freely. Mine was rusted solid and could barely be turned even with a wrench on it. I popped off the plastic linkage arm. Using a 30mm wrench, I unbolted the wheel from the side of the transmission. I put the wheel in a vice and pressed out the bolt. Rusted solid. No lubrication at all. I wire wheeled the bolt, washer, and cleaned out the bearing surface as much as possible. I reassembled the entire unit with anti-seize on all moving parts. I torqued the bolt to 40 lb.ft. but that torque setting was a guess on my part. Couldn't find that spec anywhere so I just picked a reasonable number and rolled with it. Hooked up the plastic linkage piece. Now it's shifting like we the people and the little hitch I had going into second gear is gone too. Smooth and easy. Problem Solved. I hope this information can help someone who has shifting problems with their manual transmission 981. An easy check is to crawl under the car, pop off the plastic linkage arm and see if you can spin that black wheel freely. If not, take it apart, clean it, and lube the hell out of it. See pics.
Very cool. Those are the solutions I don't get enough of. Some fluids, grease, anti-seize and time. Gotta love it.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:45 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. Congrats and great find.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:57 PM
MikeyP
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marine Blue - The transmission looks all leaky because I was spraying the crap out of the wheel with PB Blaster. It could not penetrate. The wheel has to be taken off with a 30mm wrench or socket. You will get the wheel, the bolt, and a washer. Clean everything up really nice... add some anti-seize to everything... and put it back together. It should spin freely like a roulette wheel.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:04 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Great job. Nice to be resourceful with that can-do attitude.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyP
Marine Blue - The transmission looks all leaky because I was spraying the crap out of the wheel with PB Blaster. It could not penetrate. The wheel has to be taken off with a 30mm wrench or socket. You will get the wheel, the bolt, and a washer. Clean everything up really nice... add some anti-seize to everything... and put it back together. It should spin freely like a roulette wheel.
That makes sense Mike, just making sure you don’t have something else brewing. Thanks again for this tip, it will definitely help many of us as our cars age.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:56 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Jaret
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, with your help I finally solved my stiff shifter problem, I almost replaced my cables thinking they were the issue. I Think this will be an issue with 981’s as they start to get older. This should be a regular maintenance check. Again I can’t thank you enough it’s like driving a brand new car.

Quick Reply: 981 Manual Transmission Hard to Shift