Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first track day - need to get a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My first track day - need to get a helmet

I'm asking advice on where to buy a helmet for the track. This will be my first track day, actually drivers training at Buttonwillow on Aug 11th and I want to get any equipment that I will need. I have motorcycle helmets but I don't know if those are allowed and I would prefer to buy an open face helmet vs the full face helmets that I currently own.

Any other advice would be great as well.

Thanks.....Vern
Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It depends on the club. Many do not allow open face helmets beyond beginner and novice run groups if at all.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I did find a sight that sells helmets and I noticed that 95%+ were full face helmets and that made me think that maybe I should not be getting open face. Regardless, I'm not going to spend a fortune this first time around as I wot be going to the track more than a couple times a year. I will invest in a better helmet down the road.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

If it will work for you, I use the HJC CL-17. Snell SA2015 rated full face motorcycle helmet. $130 on Amazon. I use it for SCAA autocross.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You need a helmet that is SA or FIA certified for racing. Expect to pay at least $300-400.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 139 Posts

my local pca group offers helmet rentals, if it's your first and you're not sure how much you will really need it, I'd check out if your group does rentals too.

You do need a certified helmet for most DEs I know of.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
If it will work for you, I use the HJC CL-17. Snell SA2015 rated full face motorcycle helmet. $130 on Amazon. I use it for SCAA autocross.
I don't believe that is rated for auto - the fire retardant requirements are different from what I understand.

There are plenty of options around $200 for a full auto SA2015 like this one: https://www.motorsportpro.com/racequ...iABEgL80PD_BwE, or this one: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Zamp-...SABEgKLPvD_BwE
Old 07-15-2018, 01:55 AM
blairb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I really like my HJC AR-10 III. Doesn't break the bank, and I find it pretty comfortable. If you can, definitely try some helmets on before you buy though.

If you end up the Napa/Sonoma area check out Wine Country Motorsports!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Many track groups will have helmets you can use or rent. Check it out before investing in a new helmet. Most track groups will NOT allow the use of a motorcycle helmet. If you should decide to buy one, do not skimp and buy the cheapest available. Are you willing to trust your skull to the lowest bidder??
Old 07-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I got a full face with visor, but removed the visor after someone pointed out that visors pulled up on top of the helmet are a broken neck waiting to happen if the airbag deploys. Visor obviously offers more protection if you are of a mind to use it, though.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:21 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have to run windows down, absolutely go full face. I get rocks and rubber all the time in the car.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blairb
I really like my HJC AR-10 III. Doesn't break the bank, and I find it pretty comfortable. If you can, definitely try some helmets on before you buy though.
I have a slightly older HJC AR-10 II and can say the same. Very affordable yet comfortable.

Not all helmets fit the same though. If you have a local shop that you can go to I would definitely do so. If not, then prepare for a high initial investment as the best option is to buy several helmets and then return those which don't fit or aren't comfortable. You may wind up with a temporary $1000 on your credit card, but buying an HJC helmet, a Bell helmet, a Simpson helmet, and perhaps an Arai helmet gives you multiple shapes. One might fit your head better than another. Definitely measure your head so you can pick the right size. Remember they are supposed to be snug. Not tight, but not at all loose. When you try them on leave them on for 20 minutes at a time. Make sure they aren't developing pressure points over time. It might feel great for the first minute, but if it's causing a migraine or vertigo by the end of a lapping session it's no good.

I usually head to saferacer.com for helmets.

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
If you have to run windows down, absolutely go full face. I get rocks and rubber all the time in the car.
This. For some reason almost all HPDE groups require windows down. On a dusty course you're going to get dirt in your eyes when the car in front of you puts a wheel off. Getting a full face helmet can help with this, so long as you actually close the visor. Going along with this, you'll want to check helmets for ventilation. Something like a cheap Pyrotect likely doesn't have any front or top vents to create airflow around your head. It'll fit well and feel good, but after 20 minutes your head will be a sweaty mess and you won't be looking forward to sticking you head back into that helmet for your next session.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
. If you should decide to buy one, do not skimp and buy the cheapest available. Are you willing to trust your skull to the lowest bidder??
You can certainly pay more if you like, but a lot of that is branding, a few ounces of weight, and to some degree, ventilation. They all meet the same basic safety standards. And don't kid yourself that the more expensive helmet manufacturers aren't finding ways to cut costs by every way possible.

I have a $180 zamp and it serves my purposes just fine. Its comfortable, has adequate ventilation, and has the hans anchors I needed. Is it fancy? no. Does it still meet SA 2015 standards just like the $1000 one? yes.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I have a slightly older HJC AR-10 II and can say the same. Very affordable yet comfortable.

Not all helmets fit the same though. If you have a local shop that you can go to I would definitely do so. If not, then prepare for a high initial investment as the best option is to buy several helmets and then return those which don't fit or aren't comfortable. You may wind up with a temporary $1000 on your credit card, but buying an HJC helmet, a Bell helmet, a Simpson helmet, and perhaps an Arai helmet gives you multiple shapes. One might fit your head better than another. Definitely measure your head so you can pick the right size. Remember they are supposed to be snug. Not tight, but not at all loose. When you try them on leave them on for 20 minutes at a time. Make sure they aren't developing pressure points over time. It might feel great for the first minute, but if it's causing a migraine or vertigo by the end of a lapping session it's no good.

I usually head to saferacer.com for helmets.

This. For some reason almost all HPDE groups require windows down. On a dusty course you're going to get dirt in your eyes when the car in front of you puts a wheel off. Getting a full face helmet can help with this, so long as you actually close the visor. Going along with this, you'll want to check helmets for ventilation. Something like a cheap Pyrotect likely doesn't have any front or top vents to create airflow around your head. It'll fit well and feel good, but after 20 minutes your head will be a sweaty mess and you won't be looking forward to sticking you head back into that helmet for your next session.
I have the Pyrotech Ultra Sport ($229) and it is very well vented. I have been very happy with it. Maybe there is a cheaper model that I don’t know about.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:14 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I grabbed a Bell M8 Carbon few months ago coming from much cheaper HJC. World of difference in terms of head comfort and weight reduction! Also ready to go for neck and head restraint devices.

Best is to find a shop and go try them on as they have different fitments. Need to see what goes well with your head shape. I spent less years ago because I wasn't 100% sure about my interest as it was first time.

Quick Reply: My first track day - need to get a helmet