Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche "Lifetime Key Protection"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Porsche "Lifetime Key Protection"

Back in the day, one of the nice touches Porsche extended to new owners was "Lifetime Key Protection," which basically consisted of a numbered medallion registered in your name that you would attach to your key chain. Should the key get lost, the finder could send the key back to Porsche at the postage-paid address on the medallion and then Porsche would get the key back to you (see new owner welcome letter from 1998 attached below).

The medallion itself was pretty cool and very substantial in weight for its small size.

Porsche offered this back when keys weren't as complicated as today's chip keys, and thus weren't nearly as expensive to replace. If there was ever a time for Porsche to bring back "Lifetime Key Protection," it would be now when a lost key requires an owner to dig deep into their wallet.

Then again, given what Porsche charges to replace lost keys these days, perhaps it makes sense why they don't extend this simple service to facilitate their return. But to even suggest such a thing is being overly cynical, right?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Welcome Letter.pdf (295.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:27 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cool!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 473 Likes on 321 Posts

Nice gesture. It would have been nice if Porsche had continued this small benefit.

BTW, if you are a member of AAA, they provide a small tag - similar to store credit card key tags - that you put on your key ring. Printed on it are the instructions "Drop lost keys in any mailbox.". Thank goodness I've never had the opportunity to test the service!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
BTW, if you are a member of AAA, they provide a small tag - similar to store credit card key tags - that you put on your key ring. Printed on it are the instructions "Drop lost keys in any mailbox.". Thank goodness I've never had the opportunity to test the service!
Hey, thanks for the tip! In fact, I am a (30 year) member of AAA, but never knew of this benefit. Doh!

Here's someone that put AAA's key-return tags to the test, with great results:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...rk-we-find-out
Old 04-28-2018, 02:39 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Back in the day, one of the nice touches Porsche extended to new owners was "Lifetime Key Protection," which basically consisted of a numbered medallion registered in your name that you would attach to your key chain. Should the key get lost, the finder could send the key back to Porsche at the postage-paid address on the medallion and then Porsche would get the key back to you (see new owner welcome letter from 1998 attached below).

The medallion itself was pretty cool and very substantial in weight for its small size.

Porsche offered this back when keys weren't as complicated as today's chip keys, and thus weren't nearly as expensive to replace. If there was ever a time for Porsche to bring back "Lifetime Key Protection," it would be now when a lost key requires an owner to dig deep into their wallet.

Then again, given what Porsche charges to replace lost keys these days, perhaps it makes sense why they don't extend this simple service to facilitate their return. But to even suggest such a thing is being overly cynical, right?
Any ideas how to find one of the vintage medallions?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DannieK
Any ideas how to find one of the vintage medallions?
No. Other than mine, I've never seen one and suspect they are rare.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 AM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Other than mine, I've never seen one and suspect they are rare.
I have one from when I had my 968 many years ago. Was just wondering if it still worked if (hopefully not) I ever lost my keys. Anyone know?

Old 04-30-2018, 03:42 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bosch
I have one from when I had my 968 many years ago. Was just wondering if it still worked if (hopefully not) I ever lost my keys. Anyone know?
Well, Porsche did refer to this benefit as "Lifetime" key protection throughout the materials pictured above, so I'm guessing it would still work. But note the need to update your contact info:

IMPORTANT: To ensure that your lifetime key protection remains in tact, use the attached information card to inform us of any change to your address, telephone number, etc.

If you've moved since owning your 968 and haven't updated your info, then I guess they would send your keys to your old address that they still have on file, in which case they might not get to you.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 AM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Porsche did refer to this benefit as "Lifetime" key protection throughout the materials pictured above, so I'm guessing it would still work. But note the need to update your contact info:

IMPORTANT: To ensure that your lifetime key protection remains in tact, use the attached information card to inform us of any change to your address, telephone number, etc.

If you've moved since owning your 968 and haven't updated your info, then I guess they would send your keys to your old address that they still have on file, in which case they might not get to you.
Thanks. My old address is my parent’s house so it’ll eventually get back to me. I’ll call and try to update my account and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Porsche "Lifetime Key Protection"