Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
^I don't own a Boxster, but I've read numerous reports from owners that Boxster with top up is louder and more prone to drone than Cayman.
I can buy this. Although I've never driven a Cayman, my Boxster with top up is definitely louder than the 997.2 and 991.1 I drove.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

I owned a GT4 and put about 4k miles on it and owned (and still own) a BS at the same time. They both had PSE. IMO, the GT4 has more overall mechanical and exhaust noise inside the car compared to the BS when the top is up. But road noise, wind noise, traffic noise are all more noticeable in the BS with the top up compared to the Cayman. Seems like the Cayman hatchback area captures the noise coming from the engine mechanicals and some exhaust sound coming through the floor of the car and projects it forward inside the cabin.
The following users liked this post:
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:41 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
I owned a GT4 and put about 4k miles on it and owned (and still own) a BS at the same time. They both had PSE. IMO, the GT4 has more overall mechanical and exhaust noise inside the car compared to the BS when the top is up. But road noise, wind noise, traffic noise are all more noticeable in the BS with the top up compared to the Cayman. Seems like the Cayman hatchback area captures the noise coming from the engine mechanicals and some exhaust sound coming through the floor of the car and projects it forward inside the cabin.
Interesting. But isn't a GT4 louder than the regular Caymans?
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Interesting. But isn't a GT4 louder than the regular Caymans?
If the Cayman doesn't have PSE, yes the GT4 is louder. If both have PSE I don't think there is a significant difference in exhaust noise between the two, 3.8L to 3.4L. But that is a pretty subjective assessment on my part. The GT4 exhaust sound is different because it's a larger displacement engine, but is it louder? I'm not sure.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Bit the bullet and ordered the PSE retrofit kit from getPorscheparts.com today. At $2,085 shipped with no sales tax, it is a better deal than Suncoast with their free shipping deal. Can't wait to get it installed. I will shoot a before and after video and post it here.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Bit the bullet and ordered the PSE retrofit kit from getPorscheparts.com today. At $2,085 shipped with no sales tax, it is a better deal than Suncoast with their free shipping deal. Can't wait to get it installed. I will shoot a before and after video and post it here.
Just FYI it is $1902 over at Sunset Porsche. In case the order can be canceled and save some dough. https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...c=YT1wb3JzY2hl looks like shipping is about $65.

These guys have it for $1860 shipped, but I have not dealt with them: https://www.nosubstituteparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-sports-exhaust-system-98104420003?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbKAQct28bQdVGZhzA-zf-aiwqCKfa7HB5PpDjaKMU1BJWhoEF-BgSUaAuwNEALw_wcB
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Just FYI it is $1902 over at Sunset Porsche. In case the order can be canceled and save some dough. https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...c=YT1wb3JzY2hl looks like shipping is about $65.

These guys have it for $1860 shipped, but I have not dealt with them: https://www.nosubstituteparts.com/oe...UaAuwNEALw_wcB
Thanks for the heads up! But p/n 981-044-200-03 doesn't include the console switch kit (p/n 991-613-961-07-DML) which is necessary for the retrofitting and sells for about $200 (MSRP $270) which will bring Sunset's price up over $2,100.
The following 2 users liked this post by storii:
erahm (09-09-2020), lanjiow (10-21-2020)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:23 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The ability to turn it to quieter or louder at the push of a button is well worth the price, especially if you add race headers later. My car with race headers is loud when open, pretty much straight pipes. Nice to quieten it a little on the highway or if LEOs are lurking. Love it.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, you won't regret it! Obviously everyone's situation and needs are different, but with the stock other exhaust components, mine is run with the valves open all the time and it is definitely not annoying or too loud. It seems that 90% of the labor associated with the install is related to the electronics, so I was happy to be able to save that expenses. But, everyone has a different situation.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
The ability to turn it to quieter or louder at the push of a button is well worth the price, especially if you add race headers later. My car with race headers is loud when open, pretty much straight pipes. Nice to quieten it a little on the highway or if LEOs are lurking. Love it.
Although I don't see race headers in my future at this point, I agree the ability to turn it off is worth the price.

Originally Posted by vbb
Congrats on the purchase, you won't regret it! Obviously everyone's situation and needs are different, but with the stock other exhaust components, mine is run with the valves open all the time and it is definitely not annoying or too loud. It seems that 90% of the labor associated with the install is related to the electronics, so I was happy to be able to save that expenses. But, everyone has a different situation.
Thank you! While the majority of the PSE owners swears that the exhaust doesn't drone, there are a few that do not agree with the statement. I know drone is subjective and I hate drone with passion. In case the PSE drones at a certain speed(s), it would be nice to have the ability to shut it off. This is the biggest reason why I chose the PSE over aftermarket exhausts. I know valved exhausts are also available from the aftermarket suppliers, but I would prefer the OEM option when it is available.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:42 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

The parts are shipping today and made an appointment for the installation for the 30th. Can't wait!!
erahm (09-09-2020), Jack_981 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those tips are interchangeable, no need to fork over the extra money.

Put that money toward a set of Race Headers for that car. Picks up a solid 20+whp and sounds insanely good with valves open and near factory with valves closed. Its the hot setup for that car. Little example from my Cayman R with the same 3.4L DFI engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by AutoQuest Motorsports:
erahm (09-09-2020), maschinetheist (04-20-2021)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I got the PSE retrofitted on my 2015 Boxster S. The dealer needed one extra day since they said they had to order a few clips to secure the vacuum lines from Porsche that the kit I had provided was missing. I was pleased to hear this because I thought it was an indication that they were doing everything else by the book. When I picked the car up, there was no surprise with the bill. They had quoted $1,450 - 10% PCA discount + tax plus a Porsche loaner and actually charged $1,440 - 10% + tax to compensate for the clips they had ordered (at $1.05 a piece). I got a 2018 Macan S as a loaner for three days. The grand total was $3,474.59 ($2,085 for the retrofitting kit without the tips from getPorscheparts.com + $1,389.95 for installation by Paul Miller Porsche).

The PSE sounds great. Under load, the exhaust note is intoxicating and compliments the wail of the flat 6 so sweetly. Lift the throttle and the pronounced pops and gurgles make you laugh out loud. I couldn't wipe off the stupid grin from my face all the while I was driving the car.

Oh, it did drone with the top up at around 2800 rpm. It was neither an annoying note nor loud enough to make a conversation with the passenger difficult but it was there nevertheless. I turned off the PSE and the drone disappeared immediately. That was the moment when I knew I had made the right decision for me.

Last edited by storii; 05-03-2018 at 05:19 PM.
erahm (09-09-2020), maschinetheist (03-14-2021)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad it all came out right and that you validated your choice to go with the electronics once you had to test out your drone. I actually just took my Cayman on a ~250mi trip with a lot of highway cruising and didn't notice the drone (I had the valves open the whole time as always), but I also had the windows down and the radio up. But, drone is kinda subjective and if you're sensitive to it, that's reason to get the electronics right there. Bottom line is you get to experience the glorious PSE note, and that's worth it!

By the way, how was the Macan S? Something you'd consider as a daily driver? I've been wondering about that myself.
erahm (09-09-2020)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm glad it all came out right and that you validated your choice to go with the electronics once you had to test out your drone. I actually just took my Cayman on a ~250mi trip with a lot of highway cruising and didn't notice the drone (I had the valves open the whole time as always), but I also had the windows down and the radio up. But, drone is kinda subjective and if you're sensitive to it, that's reason to get the electronics right there. Bottom line is you get to experience the glorious PSE note, and that's worth it!

By the way, how was the Macan S? Something you'd consider as a daily driver? I've been wondering about that myself.
Thanks, vbb! You have been a very valuable source for the reliable information throughout the process.

As to the Macan S, while it was a very good vehicle, I didn't think it was worth the price tag ($60K+). If you are willing to pay extra for the Porsche badge, it may be fine. When it comes to an SUV which I'll be most likely leasing,I think an X3 offers a far better value (a lower price point & free maintenance). YMMV
erahm (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: PSE retrofitting: Is Sport Tailpipe mandatory??