Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Note that on the 981 models (I have not changed oil on a 718) not all the oil drains from the engine during an oil change. Don’t use the capacity shown in the manual and blithely fill up the oil, or you will overfill. On a 981 it takes a bit more than 7 liters of oil to refill. The final top off is done after warming the engine and checking the electronic oil level indicator.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the car has a manual transmission.

I'll ask the dealer tomorrow what oil they recommend for the tranny.

It's unusual that Porsche doesn't even provide to the car's owner how to change oil. Perhaps that's the way the world's going.

Thanx, guys.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 AM
GTCroc
Cruisin'

"Don’t use the capacity shown in the manual and" in this scenario it shudda been used first...not last. OUCH!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

If the 718 is the same as the 987/981 then the manual transmission and the diff share fluid. The factory fill is Mobilube PTX 75W90, but there are other suitable replacements (I use Redline 75W90NS...if you go with this make sure to use the NS and not the regular 75W90.)

My worry is less about the transmission than the differential. The ring and pinion gears are under very high pressure in operation, and running them dry is likely to damage them. If that's the case, it's going to continue to whine even after you refill the fluid. I hope I'm wrong.

Again, all of the above assumes you've got the same transaxle as the earlier cars: I am not fully versed in the 718 so I am not sure about this.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

This is actually not that hard to mistakenly do if one is not familiar with the engine/transmission layout — I had to double check the plugs when I performed the break in oil and transmission changes...

OP seems like a good sport — best luck re in impact to your 718.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

GTCroc, the manual is of NO help. It doesn't tell you how to do even this simple maintenance. Porsche wants the business. Follow the money.

BryanCO, thanx for the positive thoughts. Today may tell the story.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:09 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Yes, I've already drained ALL the engine oil. Now I'll replace it with the right kind and quantity.

Which brings me to the next question -- I need transmission (or transaxle?) oil. What does Porsche specify? I've searched the Web extensively, no results.

Also, where's the filler port?

Do the transmission and transaxle share oil, or are there two oil reservoirs?
The filler port is right next to the port for the blinker fluid which is the most important fluid to keep an eye on.

Stop diagnosing on here and phone a friend in real life. Get help in person or have it towed to a dealer and don't touch it again without supervision.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Also better post that VIN number so no one here buys it ;-)
Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

GTCroc, the manual is of NO help. It doesn't tell you how to do even this simple maintenance. Porsche wants the business. Follow the money.

BryanCO, thanx for the positive thoughts. Today may tell the story.
Porsche wants the money or they want qualified techs not draining transmission pans?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:27 PM
981spyder
Racer

op you sound like a good sport, i am sorry your having a bad time doing this but...... if your not sure about your car maybe you need to search first or take it to someone that knows the car.... i wonder if your transmission has any internal damage... Enclosed find the diy for 9841 transmission fluid change , i have the feeling its the same or close to it.
Attached Images
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

IMHO: 10 min ride on the freeway, you will be fine. Gear oil isn't motor oil, it hangs around for a long time. Get the proper fluids back in the car, and you will be fine.. At worst you caused some slight wear on the gears, nothing you can do about it now. Get proper fluids back in there and forget about it.

Don't let this discourage you, take it as a lesson learned and move on... The first time I changed the oil in my 993, I took what I thought was the drain plug out only to have a spring go whizzing by my head... Who spring loads the drain plug?????? Quick re-read of the manual, I had removed the pressure relief valve... ooops...

As far as outsmarting the factory (re:viscosity and brand) its a fools errand... For a car that is used the way the factory designed it (street use) use exactly what the manual prescribes.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:06 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Refreshing to see a guy openly admit his error and take it in stride, though I'm sorry to hear about your mishap. Such a new car, your dealer didn't offer a couple of free oil changes? Oh well, lesson learned. Hopefully it all turns out fine. With only 10 miles of driving like that I'm sure it will be okay. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Such a new car, your dealer didn't offer a couple of free oil changes?
Porsche now includes the first oil change at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. I think this started last year.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Don’t touch without supervision? Reminds me of an old girl friend 🤣

i replaced engine oil with 5W-40 Castrol, approved by the good ol’ Boys in Stuttgart. Then I went to local dealer and they sold me 5 qts of the tranny oil they use (had to bring my own jug). Put it in and went for a drive. The whining sound went away in 50 yds. I’m optimistic that everything is fine.

what a wild ride!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Don’t touch without supervision? Reminds me of an old girl friend 🤣

i replaced engine oil with 5W-40 Castrol, approved by the good ol’ Boys in Stuttgart. Then I went to local dealer and they sold me 5 qts of the tranny oil they use (had to bring my own jug). Put it in and went for a drive. The whining sound went away in 50 yds. I’m optimistic that everything is fine.

what a wild ride!
Good to hear.

Quick Reply: Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.