Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman PDK with LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Tony C.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman PDK with LSD

I’m trying to find out from someone who knows if there are any differences between the case of the PDK transmissions
installed from the factory with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and without? Other than the LSD itself.
There are a LOT more cars in the 2009-2012 model year range that don’t have the factory LSD (option code 220).
some say that there were NO LSD equipped Cayman/Boxster cars made with the LSD option in 2009-2010.
does anybody know? Obviously the Cayman R from 2011-2012 often have the LSD but those cars are too
expensive for me to turn into a Racecar.
As I plan on the car being built in to a full tilt Racecar, I need to understand if this even matters as I plan to have a Pro
shop install an aftermarket LSD. I am getting conflicting information from some knowledgeable people.
Unfortunately, because of PCA rules I cannot use the newer PDK which came on the 2013 Boxster and 2014 and
newer Cayman. Also, does anybody KNOW if there is any difference between the PDK used in the 2.9 vrs. 3.4 Liter
cars? Thanks! Tony
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Call Matt Monson at Guard.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:12 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...to-cayman.html
Old 02-06-2018, 03:18 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-not...rque-vectoring
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony C.
I’m trying to find out from someone who knows if there are any differences between the case of the PDK transmissions
installed from the factory with an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and without? Other than the LSD itself.
There are a LOT more cars in the 2009-2012 model year range that don’t have the factory LSD (option code 220).
some say that there were NO LSD equipped Cayman/Boxster cars made with the LSD option in 2009-2010.
does anybody know? Obviously the Cayman R from 2011-2012 often have the LSD but those cars are too
expensive for me to turn into a Racecar.
As I plan on the car being built in to a full tilt Racecar, I need to understand if this even matters as I plan to have a Pro
shop install an aftermarket LSD. I am getting conflicting information from some knowledgeable people.
Unfortunately, because of PCA rules I cannot use the newer PDK which came on the 2013 Boxster and 2014 and
newer Cayman. Also, does anybody KNOW if there is any difference between the PDK used in the 2.9 vrs. 3.4 Liter
cars? Thanks! Tony
The PDK in the 987.2 that came equipped with the factory LSD is larger; the open diff PDK has less room. 3rd party LSD's need to smaller for the non-LSD PDK and hence run hotter. This came from Matt at Guard, he knows his stuff: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ng-issues.html

If you are building a race car the best option is to source a factory LSD equipped PDK. Perhaps Matt at Guard can help you with the sourcing.

Yes, there are differences in the 2.9 vs. 3.4 PDKs, at a minimum the gear ratios are different. I can not say if the 2.9 PDK is weaker in the 987.2 applications, but keep in mind that 981 GT4 Clubsport uses the 2.9 PDK to get the better gearing.

DJM
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

^ This is correct, though I would have no idea where to find a Cayman for sale with an LSD already installed. That's way outside of my wheel house.

I have been known to say that this situation exists because in their infinite wisdom the engineers at Porsche thought they had gotten so good with the electronics on the car that they didn't think they would ever need a mechanical lsd again. While I say it tongue in cheek as a dig to the fact that we can make it better with an LSD, the fact of the matter is that it's a great car without one. I try to give advice as if it was my own car and money. If I were PDK shopping I would be perfectly happy with an open diff car if I wasn't building a racecar. If I really had the track bug, then I might reconsider that. But for a 3-4 DE a year person who wants a fun daily? Open diff PDK is just fine.

My only other comment would be about track PDKs. Regardless of which gearbox and whether or not you have an LSD, ALL PDKS run hot on track. First track mod for any PDK owner who tracks MUST be a gearbox oil cooler. Stock is inadequate at best.
The following users liked this post:
djm68 (05-02-2020)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:27 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
^ This is correct, though I would have no idea where to find a Cayman for sale with an LSD already installed. That's way outside of my wheel house.

I have been known to say that this situation exists because in their infinite wisdom the engineers at Porsche thought they had gotten so good with the electronics on the car that they didn't think they would ever need a mechanical lsd again. While I say it tongue in cheek as a dig to the fact that we can make it better with an LSD, the fact of the matter is that it's a great car without one. I try to give advice as if it was my own car and money. If I were PDK shopping I would be perfectly happy with an open diff car if I wasn't building a racecar. If I really had the track bug, then I might reconsider that. But for a 3-4 DE a year person who wants a fun daily? Open diff PDK is just fine.

My only other comment would be about track PDKs. Regardless of which gearbox and whether or not you have an LSD, ALL PDKS run hot on track. First track mod for any PDK owner who tracks MUST be a gearbox oil cooler. Stock is inadequate at best.
Best source and type of PDK gearbox cooler is?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

BGB
Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 AM
RennPartsDirect
Former Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the dimensional differences between the factory LSD installed in a 6 speed car verses one installed in a Cayman R PDK?
Old 06-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Opposer
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68

keep in mind that 981 GT4 Clubsport uses the 2.9 PDK to get the better gearing.

DJM
is this true? couldn't find confirmation of this info anywhere

Quick Reply: Cayman PDK with LSD