Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
A "Spyder R"? Nah... That's too vanilla for the Spyder. The Spyders have always been purists cars, with less weight, more power, and ultimately less convenience for a more intense driving experience. Are they for everyone? Well, no. That's the point of them. You wear them like a badge of honor, like a fixy bike, or a cafe racer that is oddly uncomfortable to ride yet oh so cool. So a "Spyder R"? I just can't see it.
No, Boxster R (not a Spyder but a different Boxster model with a Spyder engine and suspension) or Spyder Touring (a Spyder with a less "purist" and more convenient free Touring option for those who prefer it). The kool kidz can still enjoy their pure humped Spyder.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
Agree completely. Even worse, the 918 Spyder roof has to be manually removed and put in the frunk which makes it pretty much useless for storage too but do people bother banging on about it coz it disrupts their grocery run??? It's not the end of the world if the roof stays up for some trips... plus it makes open top trips even more special when one does remove the roof. Yep, not everyone understands- good luck to them... but rather than go keyboard warrior I just get on with enjoying what is on offer.

I had the roof up on mine the other day and I was reminded how great this car looks with the roof up, particularly a darker car like my Agate Spyder. Then again, it takes all of about 45 seconds to put it up or down, so if the sun is shining, I put it down, even if I'm doing a short trip and will have to put it back up.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m with Suicide Jockey, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Porsche doesn’t dilute the next iteration of the Spyder. A mechanical top is a dilution, even the manual Miata version would be a dilution as it doesn’t provide the higher level of weight savings. I could care less bout convenience, I’m more about the driving experience and I can say the 987 Spyder is spectacular, although I do wish they went further. For the next Spyder Porsche needs to get rid of the storage, use lightweight materials and employ designs that shed weight, just like they did on the old air cooled and current generation RS. I’ll vote with my wallet if they do that.

When someone buys the Ferrari below do you think the owner is thinking about how the roof works or how convenient it is to use?

I also seriously doubt Porsche will offer an NA version of the Boxster in any other form, the T will be a turbo but with LWB’s, MT and some other lightweight features.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:54 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Don't have time for that. But you are like that shmee guy on youtube I couldn't dodge: all over the threads I follow(be it 718 991T spyder whatever) making all these endless same'o 'comments' you have on the newer models, it's kind of hard not to recognize when I saw the feeler (Yes I'm always considering getting a spyder so I just click any marketplace thread with spyder in title). It was like 'hmmm isn't this the big talker got opinions on all the new things yet putting up a feeler for his beloved spyder? wait a minute, only 3 digit miles?(couldn't remember exactly but was shocked as I thought you are the 1st owner)

Good job logging that 2xxx miles for this year. Maybe report back to the 'Spyder in the wild' thread when crossing that 10k mark as I watch that one too. Keep it up!
Archimedes is fun to have around here. Hang out a bit longer and you might even appreciate some of his perspectives.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:54 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I had the roof up on mine the other day and I was reminded how great this car looks with the roof up, particularly a darker car like my Agate Spyder. Then again, it takes all of about 45 seconds to put it up or down, so if the sun is shining, I put it down, even if I'm doing a short trip and will have to put it back up.
Sure. It's all a matter of attitude, to some 45 seconds to put the top up or down for a short trip is nothing- I've done that many times too! But to others that's like... hitting their head with a brick?? .. go figure.

Yep... Spyder is one of the few drop tops which look good with the roof both up and down... and as much as I like white, it really does pop in dark colours too. Agate is extremely underrated... a mate has an agate GT4 with yellow PCCB and stitching that looks just right. Spy picks of the 718 Spyder in black with the roof up look absolutely gorgeous. Gives the car a much more special exotic look.. esp with what looks like the GT4 suspension offsets. Coupled with a NA 4.0L this looks very tempting...

Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Porsche doesn’t dilute the next iteration of the Spyder. A mechanical top is a dilution, even the manual Miata version would be a dilution as it doesn’t provide the higher level of weight savings.

How would an auto-top Touring option dilute your driving experience exactly? It’d be an option, a choice.

I could care less bout convenience, I’m more about the driving experience and I can say the 987 Spyder is spectacular, although I do wish they went further. For the next Spyder Porsche needs to get rid of the storage, use lightweight materials and employ designs that shed weight, just like they did on the old air cooled and current generation RS. I’ll vote with my wallet if they do that.
You could always rip off the manual top and get rid of the storage yourself, you know. Few hours shop labor, tops. Pack a couple of ponchos in the glove compartment and you’d be good to go. Imagine the weight savings and the driving experience.

When someone buys the Ferrari below do you think the owner is thinking about how the roof works or how convenient it is to use?
No, because he’ll never drive it.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1

How would an auto-top Touring option dilute your driving experience exactly? It’d be an option, a choice.

You could always rip off the manual top and get rid of the storage yourself, you know. Few hours shop labor, tops. Pack a couple of ponchos in the glove compartment and you’d be good to go. Imagine the weight savings and the driving experience.

No, because he’ll never drive it.

None of those are good arguments
Old 12-20-2018, 11:47 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Dude, I got to hand it to ya! You lead a passionate and tireless crusade for a Spyder-light! I totally get yours and similar-minded members' arguments. Since you aren't really calling for diluting Spyder's current formula, I would be on board with such a model. However, unlikely to happen! Boxster is the lowest volume seller in the lineup. It's already pretty fragmented, especially with the T. A Spyder-light will further divvy up the slice. It would be something similar to a GTS+.

I'm one of those self-proclaimed purists! So, to me, Spyder is "perfect" (let's leave the gearing issue for another day)! I would second Afshin with respect to making it more hardcore; but, it won't happen either. Porsche knows the market extremely well. They won't pull an "Elise". The market size for Spyder is just about right (could even be bit smaller). If they offer PDK, the size will get bit bigger. But, personally, I hope they keep it MT-only; it clearly demonstrates the intent. I would speculate that GT4 might get PDK since it is track-focused and the Spyder remaining MT (though I expect the Spyder to be a GT but with street-focused tuning).

Sadly, few things in life may remain just a wish-list. I want a GT3 Cab that isn't called "Speedster" with limited availability or the price potentially starting with a "2" (speculative). My current tax bracket doesn't allow it! The GT4/Spyder would mark the end of cycle for 982. So, you're probably better off settling for a 981 GTS.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
It could be my aging eyes or the angle at which some of the pics are taken, but I come away from some of the mule shots, like this one, wondering if the streamliners on the 982 aren't slightly more pronounced, or higher, than on the 981. Taller streamliners would not be out of place on what I would call the more aggressive look of the 982, but then again, I'm generally a fan of bigger humps.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I just hope we got a better diffuser than we've seen on the mules.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
Dude, I got to hand it to ya! You lead a passionate and tireless crusade for a Spyder-light! I totally get yours and similar-minded members' arguments. Since you aren't really calling for diluting Spyder's current formula, I would be on board with such a model. However, unlikely to happen! Boxster is the lowest volume seller in the lineup. It's already pretty fragmented, especially with the T. A Spyder-light will further divvy up the slice. It would be something similar to a GTS+.
I'm glad that you see my point. We're all in this together, with slight preference differences here and there. No reason we can't have a nice discussion in which everyone explains their preferences while allowing others to keep theirs. I disagree that Spyder Touring would be a bad decision for Porsche. It would BOTH increase the total sales of high MSRP Spyders at full price (vs lower MSRP Boxsters at discounts) AND decrease the number of purist manual top Spyders, making them even more special and exclusive to the people that love them. I see wins all around. The success of GT3 Touring is only a hint -- Spyder Touring would be an even bigger success still.

So, you're probably better off settling for a 981 GTS.
Yes, that's Plan B (or Plan A, if a good one shows up before Spring). It's in my sig. There's also a small chance I may end up with a 981 Spyder (manual top be damned) if they get clobbered too much when the 718 Spyder shows up. The hunt is half the fun.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I drove my Spyder today. Nobody tell Yc...
Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
It could be my aging eyes or the angle at which some of the pics are taken, but I come away from some of the mule shots, like this one, wondering if the streamliners on the 982 aren't slightly more pronounced, or higher, than on the 981. Taller streamliners would not be out of place on what I would call the more aggressive look of the 982, but then again, I'm generally a fan of bigger humps.
When I first saw the mule pics, I thought they looked more square-edged than the 981, but when I compare them closely, I think it's just an illusion.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1

How would an auto-top Touring option dilute your driving experience exactly?
I wanted to respond to this question, why not beat the dead horse again

Over the past couple of years I have spent time driving many of the newer cars on the market as well as several older Porsche’s and the more I drive the more I identify with the Spyder’s raison d’etre. Specifically there are two very immediate aspects to the Spyder experience that isn’t replicated elsewhere.

Analog
The 987 Spyder is very much an analog car, the electronics in the car serve to primarily improve the cars engine performance and reliability. The PSM can be a touch intrusive at times but it can be turned off. Everything else feels very mechanical, very direct and unfiltered. The throttle response is exactly as you would expect it and the NA engine provides a very smooth power delivery that increases with RPM. In one word, predictable. You can easily modulate the throttle through corners to maximize acceleration and traction. The steering feel and response is second only to sports cars with proper mechanical steering. While it’s a hydraulic unit it feels very mechanical, direct and it does exactly what you expect. The steering and chassis response provides an enormous amount of confidence to push the car through corners.

Lightweight
As we look back at the history of Porsches I have noted that the cars that have the strongest following and are the most coveted are the lightweight versions of the standard cars. The RS 911’s are highly desirable because they provide the best driving experience for those who prefer sport driving. The reduced weight allows engineers to choose different spring and shock damping and the result is a car that is not only very light on its feet but also extremely capable through corners. It’s a known fact that shedding weight results in better acceleration and higher cornering loads. By eliminating the mechanical top (70 lbs) you’re shedding weight where it matters most, up high. This changes the cars COG and handling characteristics. I’m not sure how else to explain it, weight matters.

As modern cars get more complicated and intrusive I think many of us who enjoy the driving experience will look back at the 09 - 15 cars as some of the best ever made. Modern tech to provide better reliability but without intruding on car control.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I wanted to respond to this question, why not beat the dead horse again

You missed my point/question completely. An auto-top OPTION for the Spyder will not affect your driving experience in the slightest if you decide not to choose it. It wouldn't take anything away from what you already would have.

By eliminating the mechanical top (70 lbs) you’re shedding weight where it matters most, up high. This changes the cars COG and handling characteristics. I’m not sure how else to explain it, weight matters.
The 981 S/GTS vs Spyder weight diff is officially 66lb, 40lb+ of which comes from the LWBS which are not available in the S/GTS. Since I want heated seats, I'll be going with sofa seats anyway so a Spyder would have no advantage there. Personally, I doubt that the remaining 22lb diff in the top is even that large (or that it even exists at all) given the added (useless) straps/ears and given how much more bulky the Spyder humps are vs the standard Boxster rear trunk. I bet that diff will be almost all gone with a standard Boxster rear trunk made of aluminum or CF. Even if it remained there, I doubt that you or of any of us here would notice a 22lb difference which amounts to less than 4 gallons of gas. This are the facts -- the rest is marketing.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?