Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:03 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Also I really hope the front fascia of the Spyder has a bit more 'complications' added
to it because it just doesn't look that special otherwise. I like the front gap that the
current 981 Spyder and GT4 have. Perhaps its just all being hidden cause that's just
a test mule.
Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Just kidding... it's still wearing the GTS bumper and will hopefully gain the GT4
version soon.
I have lost hope for a 981 gt4/Spyder front bumper on the 718 Spyder version.

PAG would need to have included them on these mules as that element would
be something they need to measure its efficacy on their real-world testing! It's
a truly disappointing development & I am sorry that it has not been included in
the design of this upcoming model!

You can see that the LWB are heated and the steering wheel is now multifunctional.
Originally Posted by il pirata
They had them in Europe for awhile, never could get an answer on why not in the US.
These are Euro/ROW-only folding bucket (gt2 type) seats not expected to be available on US spec cars.

We will get 918 type LWBs as an option...and most likely NO heat option as in present models.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Does Porsche intro new models at Rennsport?
Not really a 'World Debut'. In September of 2011, it did have the first US showing of the new .1 991 model after its debut at Frankfurt:

In September of 2015 at Rennsport V, PAG also used the ocassion to show the .2 991 model for first time in US:

But it might have shown this Limited Edition for the first time at this event. But that was not a significant 'debut'.

It was, after all, the 911 Carrera GTS Rennsport Reunion Edition!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default "No Lift Shift" feature on next Spyder?

Looks likely if you get a MT 982 Spyder you will be able in Sport Plus mode to keep your foot in it and not lift when shifting due to some "enhanced" rev matching electronics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...991-2-gt3.html
Old 03-16-2018, 01:27 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

Ugh... damn... Eduardo is right on the heated seats. Got overly excited when I saw the carbon bucket backs and totally forgot about the ROW folding GT2 seats.

As for the front bumpers... that would be a shame.

I see the following possibilities:
1. GTS bumper as pictured... talk about let down.
2. Still early testing and more to go. The early GT4 had the GTS bumper as well... and if you remember the 981 didn’t get the roof until the very end... early prototypes were the standard roof (including all the cold weather testing)... and roof didn’t appear until South Africa before debut.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 03-16-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
I have lost hope for a 981 gt4/Spyder front bumper on the 718 Spyder version.
I'm starting to lose hope the 982 Spyder will have the cool front grill intake from the 981 (maybe that's what you're referring to??).

From something I posted some time ago:

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
On the Alaskan mule there is still no GT-style front grill air intake below the frunk lid like there is on the 981 Spyder/GT4.

Without:

With:

Yes, I know, it's still early and bumpers are probably yet to be finalized. I just find it interesting and wonder if the 981 Spyder will remain the only non-GT car equipped with the center grill intake that is a distinguishing feature of the GT cars.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'd estimate that most Porsche owners have at least $1M, most much more, invested in the stock market.. The S&P has risen over 25% is the last 15 months. So simple math has the low end Porsche investor making $250K in that time frame, many much more. So that makes that 981 Spyder easily affordable, even it stickers for well over $100K. Porsche understands this and wants some of that money.
Well if this so true I am severely bringing down the average.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I have lost hope for a 981 gt4/Spyder front bumper on the 718 Spyder version. .........................
I'm starting to lose hope the 982 Spyder will have the cool front grill intake from the 981 (maybe that's what you're referring to??). ..........
Are you guys serious? These are prototypes doing slow-speed winter testing in snow/ice conditions. They don't need to match front and rear aero designs in those conditions. We have already seen a prototype with matching designs (front and rear) doing regular road testing. These snow cars also are missing side pieces (whatever they are called) at the intake as in GT4; a prototype was seen wearing those previously. So, what we see on these cars don't exactly represent the end product.

Looks likely if you get a MT 982 Spyder you will be able in Sport Plus mode to keep your foot in it and not lift when shifting due to some "enhanced" rev matching electronics:

In current breed of Superbikes, it's all the rage: clutch-less up and down shifts!! In that thread you posted, Dr.Bill said it right: it is slowly morphing into PDK!! Pseudo-MT! Hopefully, if it makes into Spyder, would be relegated to Sport Plus, so that purists can avoid! Things like these make me contemplate canceling the deposit and pick up a 987 Spyder instead! I may grudgingly admit that 987 Spyder and 997.2 GT3 were the last Purist Version Analog Porsches! Only hope I have is that the Spyder being street-focused, canyon-carver roadster, it may have less electronics shenanigans! Or, put them all with a single button that can be ignored.

Last edited by spyderphile; 03-16-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo; added content.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

So essentially its a PDK with a manual shifter and pretend clutch pedal . Just kidding but seriously part of the fun of having a manual is getting the shifting right and manipulating the throttle during shifts to get smooth transitions between gears.

Having said all that, if I were going to get a track car I would definitely go for the PDK. It’s a better shifter than I could ever be and really allows you to focus on the driving line, braking and acceleration. Horses for courses

Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_rider
Are you guys serious? These are prototypes doing slow-speed winter testing in snow/ice conditions. They don't need to match front and rear aero designs in those conditions. We have already seen a prototype with matching designs (front and rear) doing regular road testing.
What is this prototype you speak of? I’ve seen several GT4 prototypes with the new design bumper, but every single Spyder prototype has had the GTS front bumper.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Any pics of the new GT4 prototypes with the new design bumper?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:57 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

What is this prototype you speak of? I’ve seen several GT4 prototypes with the new design bumper, but every single Spyder prototype has had the GTS front bumper.
I have seen one car with GT4 front bumper. The same car may have had side-intake blades as well, as I don't remember which one of the Spyder prototypes had. I am pretty sure you have seen it too; you may not remember. Non-Spyder front bumper with aggressive rear diffuser wouldn't match from aero standpoint. So, you can be sure that the production version will follow 981's with subtle tweaks.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

So essentially its a PDK with a manual shifter and pretend clutch pedal . . .

Bingo!

Just kidding but seriously part of the fun of having a manual is getting the shifting right and manipulating the throttle during shifts to get smooth transitions between gears.
Fun? No way. That's just too much work and requires too much effort! Why bother when you can leave it up to the electro-nannies to do it for you? It's all about minimizing effort, removing involvement, letting the machine operate itself, taking the human factor out of the equation.

Execute a shift yourself? That is SOOOOO yesterday.

Come on Afshin, get with the program!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Henry, I think you are referencing the photoshop I created a few months back:
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Any pics of the new GT4 prototypes with the new design bumper?
Almost every spy photo of the 982 GT4 is with the new bumper:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sh...pecs-and-info/
Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you guys serious? These are prototypes doing slow-speed winter testing in snow/ice conditions.
They don't need to match front and rear aero designs in those conditions. We have already seen a
prototype with matching designs (front and rear) doing regular road testing. These snow cars also
are missing side pieces (whatever they are called) at the intake as in GT4; a prototype was seen
wearing those previously. So, what we see on these cars don't exactly represent the end product.
What is this prototype you speak of? I’ve seen several GT4 prototypes with the new design bumper,
but every single Spyder prototype has had the GTS front bumper.
I have seen one car with GT4 front bumper. The same car may have had side-intake blades as well,
as I don't remember which one of the Spyder prototypes had. I am pretty sure you have seen it too;
you may not remember. Non-Spyder front bumper with aggressive rear diffuser wouldn't match from
aero standpoint. So, you can be sure that the production version will follow 981's with subtle tweaks.
Henry:

Why don't you back up what you are saying showing us actual photos. Don't be too sure 'we' have seen
them too. Do a little research & show us. Trust me, I want to believe that the 718 Spyder will get the same
front bumper as the prototype 718 gt4. But we need you to back up your seemingly 'definitive' statements
with trustworthy reporting & photos!

Personally, I think it's rather late in the game for prototype testing of the 718-era Boxster Spyder to be
using mules without the final design front bumper. For what reason? The 718 gt4 Cayman prototypes
all have the gt-type design front bumper in place during their testing...so there is no secret to hide from
a speculative automotive press! And the 981 Spyder had it...so it was expected to be duplicated in the
718 Spyder version too. I don't see any logical reason to keep it out of ALL their prototype testing, whether
in snow & cold in Northern Europe or hot weather conditions in the Death Valley of CA. Unless the truth
is that PAG has decided to keep it out of the 718 version of the Spyder for reasons we don't yet know why!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 03-16-2018, 03:10 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

I've been hesitant to bring up this can of worms, but there are many in the UK that believe that there will be a Spyder, GT4, and then a GT4 RS.
Maybe the Spyder and GT4 get the GTS Bumper and the GT4RS gets the new bumper???

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?