Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The car that saved Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Default The car that saved Porsche

Good read.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...f-the-boxster/
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Good stuff, Mav!

It was interesting to note that the original Boxster weighed 2,756 pounds in 1997. To think that 14 years later the 987 Spyder gained only 55 lbs. and 19 years later the 981 Spyder gained only 143 lbs. is pretty amazing considering all the technological innovations made over those lengthy periods of time.

Hats off to Porsche for keeping a lid on the fat and bloat that has plagued so many other sports cars over their development run. Is Porsche the only manufacturer to understand that weight is the enemy of performance? Seems so, unfortunately (Lotus excluded!). May the 982 Spyder follow in its predeceasors' weight-conscious footsteps.

All of the pre-production and early Boxster pics in the article brought back memories of 1996. That summer I had written to Porsche expressing interest in the Boxster, which was going to be making its North America debut in January 1997. I had followed the car’s development closely and liked everything I saw and read. Porsche replied with details of an “Exclusive Boxster Preview” event to be held in Scottsdale at $1,500 per person:

“A sneak preview of the eagerly awaited 1997 Porsche Boxster is now available to a small group of sports cars enthusiasts in the United States and Canada. Porsche AG has created this unique opportunity to drive the new Boxster in Arizona in September prior to its North American public introduction. This event will follow the Boxster’s private launch to dealers from around the world.”

The four-day event in September 1996 housed participants at the 5-star Scottsdale Princess with the Boxster presentation/unveiling and opportunity to drive the car on Day 2 of the event. The cars used for the event were pre-production models made to Euro specs.

I’ve attached the Boxster Arizona Customer Event Itinerary and other info from the Premier Event. I don't ever recall Porsche holding another event like this several months prior to a new car's introduction to the public.

It was a very exciting time back then as it’s not everyday Porsche introduces a new model. Proud to say I have been a huge Boxster fan from the very beginning. Still the best non-GT car in the line-up IMO with the 911 getting bigger and bigger while marching further and further into luxo-GT territory. Sure wish I could have pulled the trigger on the first year 986, but Boxster ownership would elude me until eight years later when I could finally afford an '05 Boxster S. Well worth the wait!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Boxster Premier Event.pdf (2.60 MB, 237 views)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:14 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Good stuff, Mav!

It was interesting to note that the original Boxster weighed 2,756 pounds in 1997. To think that 14 years later the 987 Spyder gained only 55 lbs. and 19 years later the 981 Spyder gained only 143 lbs. is pretty amazing considering all the technological innovations made over those lengthy periods of time.

Hats off to Porsche for keeping a lid on the fat and bloat that has plagued so many other sports cars over their development run. Is Porsche the only manufacturer to understand that weight is the enemy of performance? Seems so, unfortunately (Lotus excluded!). May the 982 Spyder follow in its predeceasors' weight-conscious footsteps.

All of the pre-production and early Boxster pics in the article brought back memories of 1996. That summer I had written to Porsche expressing interest in the Boxster, which was going to be making its North America debut in January 1997. I had followed the car’s development closely and liked everything I saw and read. Porsche replied with details of an “Exclusive Boxster Preview” event to be held in Scottsdale at $1,500 per person:

“A sneak preview of the eagerly awaited 1997 Porsche Boxster is now available to a small group of sports cars enthusiasts in the United States and Canada. Porsche AG has created this unique opportunity to drive the new Boxster in Arizona in September prior to its North American public introduction. This event will follow the Boxster’s private launch to dealers from around the world.”

The four-day event in September 1996 housed participants at the 5-star Scottsdale Princess with the Boxster presentation/unveiling and opportunity to drive the car on Day 2 of the event. The cars used for the event were pre-production models made to Euro specs.

I’ve attached the Boxster Arizona Customer Event Itinerary and other info from the Premier Event. I don't ever recall Porsche holding another event like this several months prior to a new car's introduction to the public.

It was a very exciting time back then as it’s not everyday Porsche introduces a new model. Proud to say I have been a huge Boxster fan from the very beginning. Still the best non-GT car in the line-up IMO with the 911 getting bigger and bigger while marching further and further into luxo-GT territory. Sure wish I could have pulled the trigger on the first year 986, but Boxster ownership would elude me until eight years later when I could finally afford an '05 Boxster S. Well worth the wait!
Wow, very cool story thanks for sharing. I picked up on the same very little weight has been added even with the bigger 3.8l engine in the Spyder. Clearly they have reduced with the adds .........
Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks for the post, good read!

I remember seeing the first pictures of the Boxster and I fell in love with it. It wasn’t until the production model came out that I was somewhat disappointed with the styling and interior. That impression remained etched in my brain until I ran into a Spyder at a concours in Long Island back in 2010. It was that car that reignited the flame and lust I had for the original car. The rest as they say is history....

Nick your comment about weight is spot on, it seems every other car manufacturer has completely lost sight of the fact that weight impacts not just handling but also acceleration and overall feel. Manufacturers hide the weight with overassisted power steering and modern shock technology but imagine if they had a great lightweight foundation to start with. That’s what makes the 981 Spyder so special, not only did they put a serious engine in it but they maintained the low weight and also utilized the latest technology to make it truly special.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for sharing. A great read!

I was in the roadster market in 1999 and lusted after the 986 Boxster. Unfortunately, the price tag was out of my reach then and I settled with the 1999 10th Anniversary Edition Miata instead. I then got bitten by the autocross bug and ended up to modify the Miata to a street-illegal level. I had raced that car for nearly 10 years and moved onto a Formula Ford. Retired from autocross all together in 2013 and just recently got the itch for a sports car again. Found this new-to-me 2015 Boxster S and have come to a full circle.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks from this big Boxster fan
Old 11-07-2017, 01:00 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 588 Posts

Interesting to see this thread considering Peter Schutz just died recently- he pretty much saved Porsche, and definitely saved the 911 from extinction.

Quick Reply: The car that saved Porsche