Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cupholder door

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cupholder door

Probably another newbie question. My cupholder door (above the glovebox) is difficult to latch. I never use cupholders, but curious passengers have opened that door, and I have great difficulty getting it to latch closed again. Is there some technique I'm missing, or is there some adjustment? Carbon fiber trim pkg, it that makes any difference. 2011 Cayman
Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Bill, not sure if this will help, but when closing the trim piece to retire the cup holders you need to make sure you are pushing it in as far as it will go. If you don't push hard enough, the trim piece won't close the first time and you end up opening and closing it two or three times before it ultimately engages and remains closed. Also, I've found that if you put your finger in the dead center of the trim piece when you push (on my trim piece there is a beverage sticker right in the middle), that is the "sweet spot" as the latch is directly behind that in the middle of the trim piece. If you try to close it by pushing from the right or left of center, the chances of engagement the first time lessen in my experience because direct pressure on the latch itself is not being exerted. Give it a shot. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Also, I've found that if you put your finger in the dead center of the trim piece when you push (on my trim piece there is a beverage sticker right in the middle), that is the "sweet spot" as the latch is directly behind that in the middle of the trim piece. Give it a shot. Good luck.
I 2nd this. Great advice. If i dont push in center near the sticker it doesnt close.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
billwot
Instructor

Thanks guys. After doing some more research, this is apparently a pretty common Porsche problem. As I said, I don't use the cupholders anyway, so I'll just try to alert passengers the keep their hands off.

If there was a way to "permanently" latch it closed, I would do that.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
If there was a way to "permanently" latch it closed, I would do that.
Gaffer tape on my '07 Boxster S. Added benefit, you can pry it off easily, no residue, to open up the cupholder when you want/need caffeine.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by billwot
Thanks guys. After doing some more research, this is apparently a pretty common Porsche problem. As I said, I don't use the cupholders anyway, so I'll just try to alert passengers the keep their hands off. If there was a way to "permanently" latch it closed, I would do that.
My passengers always seem to push it too so youre not alone. I wonder if you sand the little picture off if people would overlook that there is something there? Obviously we dont want to screw up the beautiful (and expensive) carbon fiber.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Autocutter
AutoX

Once it becomes difficult to latch it will soon break and not lock closed. The internals are really cheap plastic. What breaks is a very tiny gear that lifts the locking latch as the door closes. Now you can manually lock the cup holder once it does break. On the right side of the center post is a tiny white latch lever, unwind a paper clip, hold the lever half way and close the door. Once the door engages the lever pull out the paper clip and finish closing the door.

A replacement cup holder unit costs about $300
Old 06-25-2017, 01:36 PM
billwot
Instructor

Thanks for that. I had found the "latch lever", but hadn't yet figured out exactly what role it played.

I have no interest in replacing the unit, at any price. Even if it worked, it's clunky and inconvenient, IMO. As long as it stays shut, I'm happy. I may consider some double-sided tape, if necessary.

I have no real need for cupholders for daily drives, and I bought a $10 piece that slips between the seat an the console I can stick in if I feel I need something for longer trips.

Quick Reply: cupholder door