Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S Option Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 AM
scott63
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987S Option Questions....

I am ordering a 987S and wanted opinions on the following options:

Sport Chrono Package - I don't care a bout the chrono on the dash, I want to know if you can really feel the difference in throttle response in sport mode. Is the car faster in sport mode?

19" Carrera S rims - Would these help the handling?

PASM - If I have to choose either PASM or 19" rims, what do I do? I hear that PASM is great, but once again, will I feel the difference?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 11:51 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

I still vote no on the Sport Chrono.......yes throttle response is different with it......more aggressive, but to my knowledge it doesn't give the car any more power and there is no proof it makes it faster that I know of. If I want the car to go faster I can just press the accelerator a bit more.....just my opinion.

I love the 19" Carrera S rims and vote yes. I have heard many stories about the 19" wheels with/without PASM. Some seem to think the ride of the 19"s without PASM is firm, but no trouble at all. Some say the PASM sport mode is too harsh for the street, some love it. My advice to you is to drive lots of examples (if possible) to see what you like.......peoples taste vary so widely.....

Me, I'd be wanting a no frills, lean package.......no sport chrono, no PASM, yes to the 19"s.....just because I mostly like the looks of them.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's exactly what I got.
19" wheels, no sport chrono, no PASM.

6 more weeks!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

If just want looks, get the 19" wheels. If you want more performance/feel, go for the 18" wheels.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Renquist
Intermediate

I've gone for 19", PASM and Sport Chrono, I have to say the drive I had from this spec was fantastic.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

No doubt, the ride is still awesome with the 19". I recently test drove a 987S, great car. On the other hand..heavier, larger diameter wheels will have some effect. With that being said, when the Coupe comes out I may get 19" wheels myself, only because Porsche decided to increase the size of the wheel arches. 18" wheels look like 17' wheels on the 987/S.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:46 PM
scott63
Intermediate

I am putting in my order tomorrow although once enetered into the system, it can still be changed for a while. Right now I am getting a 987S with:

Arctic Silver with black interior and black top

Floor Mats
Auto Climate Control
Porsche Crest Headrests
Seat belts in Guards Red
Heated Seats
Sport Seats
Sport Steering Wheel
Sport Shifter
Wheel Caps with Colored Crests
19" Carerra S Wheels
Old 02-20-2005, 11:54 PM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Hi

I got 18" wheels on my 987, it gives the extra rubber on the road surface, (same tire surface as with the 19" wheels). They look good, and were half the price of the 19" wheels... Also got the big Bose tune box for top down days and good sounds. Leather wrap on the steering wheel. Porsche crest floor mats, oh, and with my early order I couldn't get head-rest embossing, don'[t know if that applies to your region. Park assist.

have fun!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

The standard shift for the 987 is already a short throw shifter compard to the 986. A warning has been placed on the order sheet for the sport shifter that shifting will require more effort with the sport shift. I found the 987 throws to be fairly short. That's why i stayed with theregular short throw shift on my order.

19 inch wheels look more awesome then the 18's. But, I've heard people have problems with potholes and off-rounds. Anyway, I plan to heavily track the car and will most likely get track dedicated after market wheels.

Which brings up PASM. The base 987 and the 987 S have the exact same suspension. There is no M030 for the 987 series as yet. The only sport suspension available is with the PASM. Again, I plan to track the car heavily, and expect to feel a significant difference between the standard suspension and the sport mode of the PASM, while still maintaining street driveability for the wife on the street mode. If you never plan to track the car, it should not make that big of a difference. And, if you truly want to make it a track dedicated car, it will be easier to apply aftermarket suspension on a non-PASM car.

Sport Chrono? Just mash the pedal to the metal .

Otherwise, you and I have ordered the same car!

Quick Reply: 987S Option Questions....