Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I know it’s just a mule and will be refined for production, but I’m not liking the new look or name (if they do indeed call it a GT4 Spyder)....

To me what makes the 981 Spyder beautiful is the absence of racy beefcake side air scoops and the gorgeously executed rear trunk lid with smoothly curved fairings and subtle ducktail.

Also, the name “Spyder” has an air of cool mysterious sophistication on its own. Calling it a GT4 Spyder makes it just a “trim” level, or a convertiable version of, a GT4.

Can’t fault the notion of using the same 4.0L engine as next GT4, or even same bespoke suspension and wheel/tire sizes, though having owned both a GT4 and 981 Spyder, there’s something about the 981 Spyder’s ride that is superior to GT4 IMO, despite having no adjustability to it. It’s just right.

Maybe the 981 Spyder will remain that “just right” point in time for this vehicle.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Side scoops on Spyder = more air required to cool the TURBO engine?
No reason to draw that conclusion. 981 GT4 has same air scoops and no turbo. And plenty of turbos have had less prominent side air scoops.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Its entertaining guessing how the final product look. Remember the last Boxster Spyder mule???

https://goo.gl/images/g5U3Wd
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
I don't think they're going to do this. The GT cars are all roofed vehicles and meant for racing. The Spyder isn't, and shouldn't be, IMO.
Also, the GT cars come from a completely different department than the Spyders for their different intended purposes.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 AM
mli
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 981 spyder front end is simply perfect. The 981GTS front would look much better without the black trim on the bottom. The 718 Spyder's profile looks much more like the 987's.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am starting to get convinced the 718 gt4 and Spyder will be turbocharged. from a company POV they already made the 718 lineup a turbo 4 pot. I am thinking there will be a higher displacement turbo 4 pot in those cars to differentiate it with some other hardware changes under the skin in the suspension department possibly. I am beginning to doubt that a detuned gt3 motor would be slapped in there. I think because of the emissions crap going on, the current drop in sales of sports cars and especially smaller ones, then the placement of the rear exhausts. I think that alone is a big clue it won't be nat asp flat 6 anymore. They took the leap to go turbo charged with the 718 lineup already it would not make sense to make the gt4 and the Spyder to be otherwise. The enthusiast side of me is hoping I am wrong but I just don't see it happening.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I am starting to get convinced the 718 gt4 and Spyder will be turbocharged. from a company POV they already made the 718 lineup a turbo 4 pot. I am thinking there will be a higher displacement turbo 4 pot in those cars to differentiate it with some other hardware changes under the skin in the suspension department possibly. I am beginning to doubt that a detuned gt3 motor would be slapped in there. I think because of the emissions crap going on, the current drop in sales of sports cars and especially smaller ones, then the placement of the rear exhausts. I think that alone is a big clue it won't be nat asp flat 6 anymore. They took the leap to go turbo charged with the 718 lineup already it would not make sense to make the gt4 and the Spyder to be otherwise. The enthusiast side of me is hoping I am wrong but I just don't see it happening.
While anything is a possibility I think Porsche should be prepared for the next Spyder to be a total sales flop if they follow through with a 4 cylinder turbo engine. The Spyder was originally suppose to be a lightweight, focused sports car which places the driving experience and enjoyment above all else. Putting in a larger 4 cylinder which doesn’t sound as good and adds more weight is just another extension of the GTS with some visual changes.

I remain confident the next Spyder will be naturally aspirated but I do wonder what the future holds for the next model due 5 years from now.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

This is where I've been for a while. Not to mention the turbo cars are selling mostly in China - a market that favors the turbo cars.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

@ Afshin that would be the e-Spyder or SpyderE
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I remain confident the next Spyder will be naturally aspirated but I do wonder what the future holds for the next model due 5 years from now.
Unfortunately I think we're at most 3 generations away from having hybrid/fully electric drivetrains become the norm. Of course the current inventory of ICE cars will last much longer, but eventually they'll be phased out. I think we're getting dangerously close to reaching the peak of the driving experience for enthusiasts.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:15 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by spydersmiley

From what I know, a NA 4.0 litre engine is registrable also under the new, stricter EU emission standard, provided it is equipped with emission filter system which eliminates microparticles which are typically emitted by direct fuel injection systems (DFI). Downside of the filter: Compromises performance.
As long as those filter/s could be taken out, I'd be fine with them. haha
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
As long as those filter/s could be taken out, I'd be fine with them. haha
Right! X52 filter delete/power kit option for $9k
Old 01-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Right! X52 filter delete/power kit option for $9k
a "Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur" option.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought the new 718 GT4 was going to have a detuned version of the GT3 4.0.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:57 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

While anything is a possibility I think Porsche should be prepared for the next Spyder to be a total sales flop if they follow through with a 4 cylinder turbo engine. The Spyder was originally suppose to be a lightweight, focused sports car which places the driving experience and enjoyment above all else. Putting in a larger 4 cylinder which doesn’t sound as good and adds more weight is just another extension of the GTS with some visual changes.

I thought this was settled, it's going to be a detuned GT3 engine (4.0L), did you all hear otherwise?
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...rated-flat-six

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?