Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17' 718 Boxster S having OVERHEATING Issue already!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 PM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17' 718 Boxster S having OVERHEATING Issue already!!

Hello, folks

So, I Purchased Brand new 2017 Boxster S model this May.

Took it to the track at 2500 mile, 3-4 laps on track and noticed that it only make 5 psi of boost at the max.
Oil temp reading was 235-240 F, Outside temp was 85F.
Wasn't able to finish the entire trackday due to the limp-mode issue.. getting pissed off....

The next day, made an appointment for service. Took the car in for check up few days later.
Mechanic said that turbo was overheating and went into limp mode to protect the turbo and engine.

Over the past weekend, weather was nice around 65 degrees. So I took my 718s out for some country backroad experience.

About 5-10 mins into spirited driving and all the sudden oil temp skyrocketted to 245F and it went into Limp mode again.

Aren't these cars made for track use? My old M3 never had this issue before...

Does anyone experience this overheating issue with their new 718s?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts

Man, that is not good news... but unfortunately, very common on FI cars during their first years. This is the first time I hear it though, so maybe not a widespread issue. Out of curiosity, does your car have the 3rd radiator? I'd expect it since turbo engines run hotter. My '16 CGTS has it, and never near overheating, even in hot TX. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Unless it is way different from 981, those oil temps should not cause any issues. I suspect the water temp is the real culprit. All cars have issues to track them hard though. I melted down a set of stock brakes in a E92 M3 in about 20 minutes at VIR; Stoptech fixes that.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My 981 Cayman reaches 244 degree oil temps on the way to the grocery store. No limp mode, and never any problem on track. It seems clear that the cars are designed to operate at high temps for emissions purposes. When switching to sport mode the temps come down a good bit, suggesting that whatever the computer does to cause this may be malfunctioning in your car. I also know of one other 718 being used on track without limp mode issues.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It’s not overheat. Those oil temps are normal. Something else is going on
Old 11-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

The oil itself can take much higher temps, but 250F is right around where most FI cars start to pull timing to keep from heating the oil further.

From the 982 PET, there are 4 radiators on the car. Center, fender, and two on the side right behind the doors. None of them appear to be actual oil coolers, but radiator fluid. There is a heat exchange on the top of the engine on the transmission side. A lot of times, people will by pass the exchanger and run the oil to a dedicated cooler.

The issues is that Porsche stuffed coolers into every crevice on this car. Perhaps you can get one into the pass/driver wheel well. I can't tell from the PET which side the cooler is in.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:31 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 608 Posts

you should take back to dealer
i ran a 718 s on track at the pec in Atlanta with repeated launches and the car never missed a beat.It was a very hot day
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

You’ve had the car since May and the issue just surfaced? Would indicate that there is something wrong with the car. Back to the dealer...
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

was the car modified in anyway or is it bone stock?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Check your coolant level then try burping the coolant system to remove air pockets. Open the coolant cap, get the engine up to temp, and let thermostat open. You can try to jack the car up so that the coolant fill hose is the highest point. Grab a few of the radiator hoses, and squeeze them too.

If you have air pockets in your coolant system, you may have issues with overheating.

My experience is 250F - 260F is reaching the temperature that a FI engine will start to pull timing to keep temps down. These temps that are on the HIGH side for a turbo/supercharged engine. NA engines can live here and be fine.

The question is, are you pushing the car so hard that the temps really are really triggering limp mode. Or is there something wrong with the cooling system that is allowing the oil temp to reach 250F.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Syeo86 unless you are just out and out flogging it, thing is an air bubble or low level should effect it in street driving as well.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 AM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

Car is Bone Stock with 3300mile on clock
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 AM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

So, I took the car back to dealer for service, yesterday.

Got a call from service advisor today said that they can not figure out what is wrong with the car. Which they told me the same thing few months ago, when it first happened.

He said they will send all the data log to Germany over the weekend, and give me an update on Monday.

Will see....
Old 11-10-2017, 11:08 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mention oil temp, but not coolant temp...?

Does the dealer say they agree there's a problem and can't figure out what's wrong, or can't duplicate the problem? If they can't duplicate it it's unlikely they'll be able to fix it unless it's a computer issue and it's recorded as a fault.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Has the dealer seen this issue on any other car?

A few things to note on the 9A2 engines:
Computer controlled oil pump
Computer controller water pump?
2.0L & 2.5L have ~5.7L oil capacity

I assume the Porsche mechanic would have tried burping the coolant system right off the bat and checked all the hoses for pinches, etc. Additionally, if you had some type of oil flow issue, oil pressure would be all over the place, and either a check engine or a spun bearing would have happened at the track. To me, that eliminates a block oil passage or the oil pump.

While digging around I discovered the 3.0L turbo engine uses a new water pump design. A "shroud" apparently blocks flow into the pump to keep coolant in the engine during cold start, which helps the engine warm up faster.

http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-99...gines-special/

Not sure if this was carried into the Boxter/Cayman engine. However, I don't see why they wouldn't use it. I'm also too lazy to confirm by digging into the PET to pull part numbers. However this makes me wonder if the water pumps shroud is malfunctioning. If it was not completely opening, it would cause cooling issues under aggressive track driving, but not really be an issue under day to day use.

For now, my money is on this new water pump. Assuming it is even used in this engine...

Update:

From the 982 press release:
"Water cooling with thermal management and water pump that operates on demand"

Documents for reference:
991.2 PET: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...W_GB_991-2.pdf
982 PET: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...RDW_GB_982.pdf
Press release on 982 : http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/20...ifications.pdf
9A2 Owners Manual: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...Technical-data

Last edited by Syeo86; 11-10-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 17' 718 Boxster S having OVERHEATING Issue already!!