Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman GTS Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 PM
99-911
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 981 Cayman GTS Purchase Advice

Hi

I'm shopping for a 981 Cayman GTS & I'd like to hear from owners / members their thoughts about:

- GTS package aside, what options / colours I should look for & others to avoid ?
- what is the typical milage : price range for GTS ?
- what common faults / wear items I should check ?
- any experience with sport techno wheels ?
- finally if I bought the car, what items (keys, remotes, manuals, ..etc) should be handed over to me ?

your thoughts about the car in general are also appreciated ..

thanks..
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

- The GTS package provides a somewhat more performance oriented platform, but if you want to step it up from there you'll need to consider these options: *PTV, *manual transmission and *sport suspension. Color is a personal choice.

- Many Porsches are second or third cars and acquire limited miles. A relatively low mileage example (<5k miles/year) shouldn't be too hard to locate. Prices, local dealer has two both '16. One with 3.5k miles @ $84K and the other with 10.5k @ $79k.

- sport techno wheels look good and like paint are a personal decision.

- No problems for the model. Any car you consider should have PPI and/or be CPO.

- keys (2) and complete manual set in leather (plastic?) portfolio.

- The car has great power and performance and for the money is a great value. They were designed for someone that wanted a bit more performance than a base or S model but yet didn't want a hard core, track ready GT4.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 AM
99-911
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBH
- The GTS package provides a somewhat more performance oriented platform, but if you want to step it up from there you'll need to consider these options: *PTV, *manual transmission and *sport suspension. Color is a personal choice.

- Many Porsches are second or third cars and acquire limited miles. A relatively low mileage example (<5k miles/year) shouldn't be too hard to locate. Prices, local dealer has two both '16. One with 3.5k miles @ $84K and the other with 10.5k @ $79k.

- sport techno wheels look good and like paint are a personal decision.

- No problems for the model. Any car you consider should have PPI and/or be CPO.

- keys (2) and complete manual set in leather (plastic?) portfolio.

- The car has great power and performance and for the money is a great value. They were designed for someone that wanted a bit more performance than a base or S model but yet didn't want a hard core, track ready GT4.
Thank you so much for the insight esp. for the milage : price ratios ..
Appreciate it..

with regard to sport suspension: you mean "sport" PASM or PASM-delete sport suspension ??

for PTV; what is the tangible difference in driving / handling ??

is the ride too firm or harsh with 20'' wheels & sport suspension ?? how about when PASM is in comfort / normal ??

Thanks again..
Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-911
Thank you so much for the insight esp. for the milage : price ratios ..
Appreciate it..

with regard to sport suspension: you mean "sport" PASM or PASM-delete sport suspension ??

for PTV; what is the tangible difference in driving / handling ??

is the ride too firm or harsh with 20'' wheels & sport suspension ?? how about when PASM is in comfort / normal ??

Thanks again..
"Sport Suspension" (aka X73 option) is a non-adjustable suspension and was a no cost option on GTS models. The ride is certainly firm although I would not consider it as harsh. Keep in mind that the ride height is lowered an additional 10mm compared to PASM. There are numerous forum threads that debate the pros and cons of each.

PTV only manifests itself during "spirited" driving. If you're looking to get the most performance from your car, it's a good choice.

Cannot comment on PASM as my GTS is equipped with the SS.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM
99-911
Instructor

thanks again for your valuable input ..
I wonder why this thread is not attracting more members to comment !

Anyways,

any thoughts about power steering plus ?
also, does the GTS come as standard with adaptive sport seats or manual sport seats ?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Lots of info here:
http://www.porsche.com/measure/model...an/cayman-gts/

You can download a brochure from that site that will list all the options. From there, it's a purely personal choice. Of course, now that you can't order exactly what you want, you have to search harder.
When I was looking for one, I wanted the PDK, X73, and PTV performance options plus the GTS interior package at a minimum. Once you narrow down the options you want, the choices get pretty limited. The Cayman is not made in huge numbers, the GTS even less so.

For me, the only things I would avoid are the power steering plus and PCCB's.

Info on pricing here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-981-gts.html

If you want a manual, here is a great one, albeit priced a bit optimistically:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...500-miles.html

If you want PDK (PPI being done today, likely sold soon):
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...3-and-cpo.html
Old 06-15-2017, 06:36 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-911
I wonder why this thread is not attracting more members to comment !

Because there are probably literally hundreds of these same threads with the answers to these questions. I am sure you could search back through them and spend a long weekend reading them.

Just saying . .

And , yes, a GTS is a great car. Get the best one you can afford in a color you like. A GTS is really just options packaging and a nose cone. I chose to buy a loaded S because as much as I like the GTS, I didn't want alcantara for more regular use as opposed to more track use.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman GTS Purchase Advice