Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reasonable price for low mileage 981 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:42 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default reasonable price for low mileage 981 GTS?

Anyone know what a good Private Party or low Dealer price would be on a manual 981 GTS? I am thinking of picking one up. I really want the 6MT, and it looks like there are very few on the market. I really don't want to pay $77k for a car that retailed at $83k 2 years ago, that seems ridiculous based on past 987 depreciation. Older gen Boxsters and Caymans don't bottom out in value like 997's or 993's did.

Primarily looking at the Cayman, although the Boxster would be nice at the right price. Hoping to score one under 20k miles, and really hoping to be in the low 60's for a clean car. Is this realistic? The ones I have bookmarked over at Cars.com are all within 10k of original retail price: most have been for sale forever, yet there is no movement in price. This is completely the opposite of the 997.2 market: try finding a low mileage C4S 6MT for example at reasonable retail. It sells in a day. This tells me that the 981 market isn't in demand, yet I can't seem to find a reasonably priced car. Even the really nice Carmine Red one on the forums is listed firm at $6k under MSRP (which he probably paid $4500 under MSRP for, as it had been on a lot for many months).

Also, if anyone has any leads, feel free to post them up.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Have you actually communicated with sellers, made an honest offer and tried to buy a car? Or are you just lurking online? You've got to play if you want to "score." Just sayin'...
Old 05-25-2017, 02:04 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TMc993
Have you actually communicated with sellers, made an honest offer and tried to buy a car? Or are you just lurking online? You've got to play if you want to "score." Just sayin'...
Good point. When I list something for sale, I list it for what I want to sell it for. No negotiating: the price is the price. I more or less figure that is where the world is trending these days, but perhaps not. The cars that sell quickly here are priced reasonably from the gun; same with houses. My neighbors listed their place way above market last spring for $489k; a reasonable price would have been $460k for it to sell in 4 weeks. They ended up missing the spring/summer window, and unloading it for $437k by being stubborn and overly optimistic. Once September hits, the market freezes up and that is that, as they say.

Maybe I will put in an offer on a car, see what happens. I don't like wasting anyone's time, including my own.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

For a 2015, it should be around 75% of the MSRP.
However, as the last naturally aspirated non-specialty Cayman, it could sell for more.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some current "real data" to help you, not speculation. I have a 2015 Cayman GTS with PDK, 11k miles, for sale (MSRP 88.3K). I have two dealer offers-both east coast for purchase at 65K and 66K.That is wholesale. So that is about exactly 75% of msrp. I have car "sold" privately, money not in hand, but with two backups waiting for money to arrive, all willing to pay $72K (82%) of MSRP.
Dealer retail is about 2K over my private sale price, even if no CPO.
So net, if you can get a clean no story car for 75% very good deal but expect to pay 80-83% MSRP for private sale.
You will have to decide if the market values more or less a 6 speed versus PDK. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Also, the more options the car has, the better the deal you may be able to get. I recently got a '15 Cayman GTS at 72% of the MSRP with a CPO warranty. MSRP was just shy of $100k. It was the wrong time to sell a sports car, but the right time to buy! With summer approaching, the sellers may have better luck.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone! That does help a bit. So 82-72%, depending on specs and desirability (Yellow is hard to sell, GT Silver very easy...)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 PM
pulpz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would argue the 6MT may hold its value more so than PDK considering they represent only about 20 percent. And those who want them, want them.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
This tells me that the 981 market isn't in demand, yet I can't seem to find a reasonably priced car.
A guy who needs to sell his Chevy S10 in order to pay rent is going to come down in price if his asking price isn't being met.

A guy who owns a Porsche typically isn't someone who's worried about funding his daily existence. He'll sit on that 981 until (insert clever expression here).

While the examples are opposite ends of the spectrum you get the idea
Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The GTS's I looked at were in the 90s. I however wanted the S as I really didn't want the alcantara, but that was just me. So my 2016 S loaded up was bumping up toward 90 too. Something to keep in mind.

While mine isn't for sale, and it's a year newer, it sure wouldn't be going for anything in the 60s.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:48 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

FWIW, I was in a similar position as you last year in the summer. I wanted either a 6-speed GTS or an S with PASM/PSE/SC. A few tracked GTSes went for mid 60s, but the majority of people wanted low-mid 70s. Crazy for a car that stickered in the mid 80s.

I ended up getting a decent deal on a Cayman S with PASM/PSE/SC. Couldn't be happier. The only thing I regret is the amount of attention this thing gets.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:34 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

It just depends on if you get what you want.

We had an older but nice heavy duty truck at the country. I put it out there with a sign on it. Lots of stops and looks and calls - but no buyers. Too much yada yada. Ok. Makes me no difference as I was just making parking room. But I told my son you can have whatever above my price you get it for. He stomped through it a dozen times too - and then starting ringing my phone. Guy wanted it for his asking price which was above mine. I said sure and shine it up and gas it up and deliver it prettied up to him. So my son pocketed his part and some more - Ha.

A few days later the buyer guy calls and stops by. I am thinking Oh no something is wrong. He said Man I want to thank you for selling me that truck - its just what I wanted for the farm. Its nice when guys get what they want.

I dont do much car shopping really. But a bud of mine who car shops online every day told me that there are quite a number of GT4s for sale FWIW.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasRider
It just depends on if you get what you want.

We had an older but nice heavy duty truck at the country. I put it out there with a sign on it. Lots of stops and looks and calls - but no buyers. Too much yada yada. Ok. Makes me no difference as I was just making parking room. But I told my son you can have whatever above my price you get it for. He stomped through it a dozen times too - and then starting ringing my phone. Guy wanted it for his asking price which was above mine. I said sure and shine it up and gas it up and deliver it prettied up to him. So my son pocketed his part and some more - Ha.

A few days later the buyer guy calls and stops by. I am thinking Oh no something is wrong. He said Man I want to thank you for selling me that truck - its just what I wanted for the farm. Its nice when guys get what they want.
Sounds like the guy who bought my 2001 Manual Tacoma V6 last year! He lived on a farm and wanted it for his son's 18th birthday. It had almost 200k miles but was spotless, and in typical Tacoma fashion, ran on nothing but bread and water. It wasn't even for sale: he liked it when he saw me washing it in my neighborhood, asked me what I would sell it for, and I told him $10k seemed reasonable (I had paid $10,000 2 years and 30,000 miles prior). He came back an hour with a cashier's check! The next morning he sent me pics of the truck with new bead-lock wheels and beefy tires, said his son loved it!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 PM
pulpz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
FWIW, I was in a similar position as you last year in the summer. I wanted either a 6-speed GTS or an S with PASM/PSE/SC. A few tracked GTSes went for mid 60s, but the majority of people wanted low-mid 70s. Crazy for a car that stickered in the mid 80s.

I ended up getting a decent deal on a Cayman S with PASM/PSE/SC. Couldn't be happier. The only thing I regret is the amount of attention this thing gets.
interesting point...whats the delta in what one might expect for tracked vs non-tracked car?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM
aleksandr
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ToasterThief

Hi Toaster, when did you buy it, and how much for? Trying to figure what I would be paying for a S with those same options. Thank you.

Quick Reply: reasonable price for low mileage 981 GTS?