Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin AS/3 on 981 BS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I'd say VERY conservatively. Problem with cold summer tires (even when dry) is they give you absolutely no warning when they let go. And THAT is the most dangerous part. In the wet, they're much worse. I had an accident on a V8 M3 with summer tires during a freak storm. Was taking it very easily, when I hit a pothole, sending the car spinning out of control like if it was on ice, and hit a guard rail. Could drive back, but even though I was aware of diminished performance, it was less than I expected. I'd have made a U-turn if I had known they were that bad. It was in the 40s on a freaking straight stretch. All it took to break the tires' traction was a pothole going straight. So please learn from me that summer tires are simply not meant for winter. And yes, I've attended several bike and car track schools (including skid control, evasive maneuvering, etc) , so I'm probably a better than average driver. Be smart folks.
Hmmm, that definitely gives me pause about summer tires. Problem is, no one seems to be selling all season. Getting a whole new set of winter tires for a few weeks where temps get cold seems excessive. Maybe there is a particular tire brand/model that is better than others?

The reason I ask is that I am currently planning my first Porsche buy, and am considering everything. Right down to the tire. I'm going to pay off my IS350 and alternate between both cars. The wife will be stuck driving the Porsche when I drive the IS350.

Shes a stay at home wife right now, so she could probably just avoid driving on a cold day. We shouldn't have many cold days in a row. Most days that see a drop below 40, also see a rise into the 50s.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Unfortunately, no current UHP A/S option for either 19 or 20 981 factory tire sizes. Therefore, no choice for me but to keep summer tires year-round here, since it's not a DD. It hardly snows here, but gets quite cold sometimes. Dry is not a problem if you're careful, but you have to wire your brain that your awesome tires in summer are crap in winter, and your braking distances and handling capabilities are severely curtailed. Cold and wet can get outright dangerous, therefore better to leave car parked. Or be extremely careful. Another option is to deviate from factory tire sizes, but I typically don't like doing that. As far as options, all my research points to an overwhelming advantage in the wet by Michelin's excellent PSS tires, and fortunately, their successor (Pilot 4S), is going to be made in our stock sizes, so those are my next tires. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Michelin AS/3 on 981 BS