Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break Rotor issues - 2016 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:52 PM
w12jfd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are really very poor on the Spyder compared to the GT cars. I've done six track days and am now at 6k miles.

So far I've replaced:

2 x front pads
1 x front rotors - cracking

2 x rear pads (blame torque vectoring)
1 x rear rotor - warped / flat spot / or something

Not found an aftermarket solution as yet - I'd be pleased to hear suggestions
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by w12jfd
Brakes are really very poor on the Spyder compared to the GT cars. I've done six track days and am now at 6k miles.

So far I've replaced:

2 x front pads

Do you have any photos of your rotors cracking?

Also, your rear pads will prematurely wear if you use PSM while tracking. Is that different than torque vectoring?

Upgrade to a better track pad like a PFC11 or an Endless ME20. They should provide you better initial bite, less fade and will last a bit longer.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:11 PM
w12jfd
Track Day

Sorry, didn't take pictures before throwing them away but over 7mm from drilled holes and so a risk. Sadly torque vectoring is not disabled in the 'all off' setting. Have tried a number of retailers for race pads with no luck, I suspect because Porsche may use separate part numbers for the Spyder brakes despite being 991s parts.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by w12jfd

So far I've replaced:

2 x front pads

GT rotors crack too. Have you tried Apex Performance? or call PFC direct. I'd be surprised if they can't help on pads.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Upgrading to track pads will roast the drilled rotors even faster. I'd be willing to bet a six pack that there are several good options for upgrading the Carrera S rotors and pads. I'm thinking girodisc, performance friction, pagid. Might give these places a call.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 PM
trakmor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Upgrading to track pads will roast the drilled rotors even faster. I'd be willing to bet a six pack that there are several good options for upgrading the Carrera S rotors and pads. I'm thinking girodisc, performance friction, pagid. Might give these places a call.
Are the rears 991s pads/rotors as well? Would make things much easier. I called suncoast this weekend just to check on things and the fronts are the same...they seemed a little iffy on the rears. FWIW on the 991S I would routinely get only two days on the OEM pads and 4-6 out of the pagid rs29's. For the prices (doing the math over an entire season) I stuck with OEM rotors and for how much of a pain in the rear it was to change pads I went to pagids (or any other durable/squeally pad of your choosing).
Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 AM
w12jfd
Track Day

I'm picking up another set of rear pads and rotors from Porsche tomorrow so I will check the part numbers and post them here.

Front pad 991.351.949.02 uk price £200.40

Front rotors
991.351.404.01 uk price £215.80 each

Given the relatively high cost of moving to racing specification parts I'm not sure if I'm better just using the Porsche parts and accepting the need to be replaced more frequently. Standard braking performance it's not horrendous, although there is a bit of fade towards the end of a long heavy session.

Consumables in the form of rotors, pads and tyres are running at about £450 per track day!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 PM
trakmor
Intermediate

pads/day seemed a wash for me, just got to change them less often with racing pads. Also noticed less "outgassing" (or whatever) on large/high speed tracks with race pads. Again, rotors on the s just didn't make much sense...and not all that much harder to change than pads with a floating caliper. Would look into tarrett engineering for caliper studs if you are going to track often, those caliper bolts suck. would love to hear specifics on the rears.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used Performance Friction 08 compound pads with excellent longevity. Some of our local club racers use them for enduros. The main downside is that they put a lot of heat into the rotors, so you will be better off using non-drilled rotors. I have heard that the PF 011 compound is a bit more rotor friendly, but have no direct experience using it.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:47 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 380mm Rotor Kit Upgrade offered by RB

RacingBrake has 380/380mm rotor kit that you can upgrade to for extra thermal capacity, save the rotor and pad wear. Fully compatible with stock 6/4 pot caliper and stock pads

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-14.htm

Detailed in this thread:

CS/GTS BBK with GT3 Size Rotors

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9152...ze-rotors.html

The most effective and affordable for instant BBK and never have to worry about out-braking your stock brake again.

Quick Reply: Break Rotor issues - 2016 Spyder