Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder comparison 987 and 981

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Andrew_K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtmikev
I bet it's has more to do with the wheels and tires..... GT4 does not feel as agile as a 981 Spyder either as I drove both back to back..... Wheels and tires ( and brakes) are huge on GT4 (yes I noticed yours has PCCB). The 986 Spyder is smaller than both so should be more agile/fun... But all these cars are fun
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtmikev
I bet it's has more to do with the wheels and tires..... GT4 does not feel as agile as a 981 Spyder either as I drove both back to back..... Wheels and tires ( and brakes) are huge on GT4 (yes I noticed yours has PCCB). The 986 Spyder is smaller than both so should be more agile/fun... But all these cars are fun
I'm under the impression the 987 is lighter that the 986 as well? (at least the Spyder version si?)

Last edited by Marvinta; 03-14-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that issue.

The overtone was the 987 was great but dated when compared side by side to the 981.

The 981 is a large step up in performance and driving enjoyment. The 3.8 CS engine has a lot to do with it. They don't think the engine has been detuned from the CS and actually feels more powerful then in any Carrera.

The 981 is now they would called a 'serious' sports car.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
I have that issue.

The overtone was the 987 was great but dated when compared side by side to the 981.

The 981 is a large step up in performance and driving enjoyment. The 3.8 CS engine has a lot to do with it. They don't think the engine has been detuned from the CS and actually feels more powerful then in any Carrera.

The 981 is now they would called a 'serious' sports car.
the engine has definitely been detuned, with many many dyno charts to show this. however, as fabspeed and others have shown, the addition of headers and the proper throttle body and plenum + ECU brings that missing 50hp right back. might feel more powerful because the spyder is lighter?.. seat of the pants dyno is a tricky one to calibrate.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:08 AM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Drove both back to back over the weekend. Consisted mostly of driving around town and some narrow back roads.

Objectively, the 981 is better than the 987. It's bigger, louder and faster. The driving experience is dominated by that engine or at least in comparison the 987. The car feels like a hotrod, and I mean that in a good way. The exhaust in ridiculously loud. I wasn't initially that excited about the auto rev matching but with such tall gearing, it might help with dropping into first during autocross. Interior quality is a huge step above the 987.

Having said all this, the 987 not lose any ground to 981 from a subjective standpoint. Its smaller size and less frantic power delivery lets you push the car harder in more situations. The interior feels rather spartan compared to the 981 (doesnt even have cup holders) but it adds to the feeling of an uncompromising sports car.

Bottom line, both cars are great.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
the engine has definitely been detuned, with many many dyno charts to show this. however, as fabspeed and others have shown, the addition of headers and the proper throttle body and plenum + ECU brings that missing 50hp right back. might feel more powerful because the spyder is lighter?.. seat of the pants dyno is a tricky one to calibrate.

You talking about Dyno chart of the 981 Spyder? I haven't seen one yet.

Any links?

Also rolling dyno is useful for delta measurement on the before and after mods run on the same car only. Not too meaningful to compare figures between a CS which is RR and a Spyder/GT4 which is MR.

Best way to compare would be on a drag strip and check the top speed of a 1/4mile run. Seat of the pants dyno is a very good start
Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
Having said all this, the 987 not lose any ground to 981 from a subjective standpoint. Its smaller size and less frantic power delivery lets you push the car harder in more situations. The interior feels rather spartan compared to the 981 (doesnt even have cup holders) but it adds to the feeling of an uncompromising sports car.

Bottom line, both cars are great.
Thanks for the brief review haen. Can you commend on the steering feel? Very few have driven them back to back, so as not to rely on recollection. Even fewer have objectively stated how wholesome 987's steering feel is. What's your take? I have put about 350 miles on the 981 version so far. The steering feel is definitely light, compared to my recollection from driving 986 and 987.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:52 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Thanks for the brief review haen. Can you commend on the steering feel? Very few have driven them back to back, so as not to rely on recollection. Even fewer have objectively stated how wholesome 987's steering feel is. What's your take? I have put about 350 miles on the 981 version so far. The steering feel is definitely light, compared to my recollection from driving 986 and 987.
In terms of steering effort, the 981 definitely requires less effort to turn the wheel aka steering is lighter.

Feedback from the tires through the steering wheel is surprisingly similar between the two at moderate speeds (~6/10ths). I jumped in the 987 after the 981, expecting a dramatic increase in feedback and that was not the case. Driving aggressively (7/10th+) on proper back roads, autocross or track will be a better test of the 981's feedback.

Car has less than 200 miles on it, and I'm still learning its character. I'm convinced that the engine break-in is really more of a driver break-in period so people get acclimated to a car's performance and don't punt it off the road during its maiden voyage.

Quick Reply: Spyder comparison 987 and 981