Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Spyder Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 2016 Spyder Clear Bra

Has anybody done a clear bra on their 2016 Spyder yet? Several questions:

How much of the car did you do?

Any seams on the front bumper or elsewhere?

Any issues wrapping around edges especially the wheel wells?

Cost?

Specific to GT Silver (or a similar color that can change based on light and angle) if you did not do the whole car can you see the difference between panels?

Last edited by il pirata; 11-04-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not yet but I'm just doing the front bumper. I've done the whole front on my GT3. I didn't like it because you couldn't wax it properly.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Not yet but I'm just doing the front bumper. I've done the whole front on my GT3. I didn't like it because you couldn't wax it properly.
Thanks, I was wondering the same thing. Good to know.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

You can't wax clearbra in general?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

You can put a wax or sealant on a clear bra, just of course using proper technique.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:03 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I just never liked the fact it would not look as good as my painted surface. Possibly because I had a black car. Nothing looks better than a clean waxed black car. Even though it last about a minute or if it only sits in the garage. On my 2006 Cayman S I only did the bumper and after 9 years I never had an issues with the hood not being done.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:50 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Has anybody done a clear bra on their 2016 Spyder yet? Several questions:

How much of the car did you do?

Any seams on the front bumper or elsewhere?

Any issues wrapping around edges especially the wheel wells?

Cost?

Specific to GT Silver (or a similar color that can change based on light and angle) if you did not do the whole car can you see the difference between panels?
Not directly related but I just had Xpel applied to my GT4.

Some sample photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pistol...h/22187483483/

I went with the Xpel kit for the following areas

-Full hood
-Full bumper
-Full fenders. The fender wrap will cover area behind front wheels
-Mirrors
-A pillar and partial roof (doesn't apply to you)
-Side skirts up to and including air intake area
-bumper area behind the rear wheels that take a beating

My installer has a LOT of experience and you can barely see the seams on the bumper where the painted area meet the plastic trim pieces. For the rest of the front, the headlights, badge, side markers and washer nipples were all removed to facilitate tucking the seams under these parts.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I just never liked the fact it would not look as good as my painted surface. Possibly because I had a black car. Nothing looks better than a clean waxed black car. Even though it last about a minute or if it only sits in the garage. On my 2006 Cayman S I only did the bumper and after 9 years I never had an issues with the hood not being done.
I have Xpel on the entire front of my 981S, which is dark blue. I tried using a good sealant and wax before and it didn't look quite right. I got the Xpel Sealant to use on Xpel and it made a huge difference and looks great!

To the OP, I wouldn't own a nice car without doing the entire front. Clear bra has definitely saved my hood from some potentially nasty chips. One rock snagged the clear bra on my hood, but it didn't go through. I eventually replaced the hood clear bra when it got a few more and the paint was flawless under the clear bra.

Mine is rolled under all the edges (crest and headlights removed for the installation) and its incredibly tough to see that its there. How good it looks is largely a function of who does the work. It you have a great product, but a mediocre installer it will show. Some companies like Xpel also allow you to look up who are the factory trained installers in your region. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I had an Xpel shop install a complete front on my GT3 and as you post it looked great. Also had an older Cayman S and only did the bumper and never had an issue. Doing a European delivery this time so not sure what options I will have in Europe when I pick it up.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Not directly related but I just had Xpel applied to my GT4.
Where are the seams on the bumper, if any.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

The only seams on my Xpel template is on the lower two diagonal sections of the center radiator intake. The angle of the curve is enough to basically hide the seam line.

Time will tell how it will look after dirt collects in that area but it's low enough that I'm not too worried about it being visible.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

I covered the following area's:
Hood, bumper, fenders, lower rockers, rear impact (body line behind back wheel) mirrors, windshield frame & headlights.

When done right, no seams at all on the bumper but I think few installers are capable of this. Two guys, 14 hours

I use exclusively Kris & Mike Ong from CFT Films in CA. Yes I fly them to my house. They have wrapped 6 cars from me and several for local friends. Their work is second to none! Mooty will also vouch for these guys. They also are the exclusive installer for Singer. NO precut kits, all custom work. Two guys, 14 hours to do the car.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I'm going with XPEL Ultimate on the front bumper, hood, fenders, , mirrors, A-pillars, rockers and right behind the rear wheel wells. Car will have full paint correction and then 2 layers of Q2 MOHS+, Phobic and Cure. My car is Black.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm most likely going to do the xpel as well. It does take a little away from the look of a freshly waxed car, specially black but with roads around NYC metro area it can be very helpful. I had it on my 981S front half hood and bumper. There was a seam but it looked ok. It seemed to work for the most part but unfortunately I got a scrape that when partially through the xpel on the front fender so I needed a respray anyway. And that's a bit of a pita. They have to take it it off respray then reapply it. All in all I think it's helpful and will likely get it done before my car sees much more mileage.

I look it this way, if you are going to enjoy your car things can happen Dings, scrapes, actual damage. Don't get me wrong xpel is good at minimizing stone chips and road rash but those are just a couple of the potential hazards out there.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very common to add ceramic coatings on top of Paint Protection Films.

CQuartz Finest for example will give you the wax/sealant you want to achieve and the paint is corrected before you apply PPF.

Not sure why there are all these "Spyder" specific threads when the questions apply to any model within the 981 model.

Like "How do I break in a Spyder" or "PPF for a Spyder". This is the same for anyone who owns a 981, is it not?

Keep in mind that "Xpel" seems to be the popular choice, but it is not the best choice. They do a lot of forum sponsorship, so the opinions are a bit tainted in that regard.

My local installer swears by 3M Pro Series especially on light colour cars such like white and silver in your scenario.

Quick Reply: 2016 Spyder Clear Bra