Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Spyder Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:59 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete C
...NO precut kits, all custom work. Two guys, 14 hours to do the car.
How could this be better than perfect laser-cut kit installed by pros ? I can't get how people accept to cut their paint with knives for a "custom" work.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is also being wrapped in Xpel, as we speak

Name:  nxkmLFS.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  192.0 KB

Still haven't seen the thing IRL. Went straight from the dealer to the detailer, on a trailer.

Full wrap, all body panels.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:57 PM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
How could this be better than perfect laser-cut kit installed by pros ? I can't get how people accept to cut their paint with knives for a "custom" work.
You've clearly never experienced work at this level which most others have not. I have taken my cars to shows and most if not all are in disbelief that there is film on the car.
They are the contracted installer for all mateial added to all Singer Porsche's. They've literally have flown around the world performing installs and giving trainings.
It's not just how they cut the film, it's the technique they use to stretch the film. There are no relief cuts in my front bumper like all of the kits will have. They removed the chin spoiler and wrap it so no edges are exposed. Another example, On my Gallardo they covered the A pillars. They lifted the 1/8" rubber gasket and tucked the film behind it. No precut kit will offer this.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 AM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You've clearly never experienced work at this level which most others have not. I have taken my cars to shows and most if not all are in disbelief that there is film on the car.
They are the contracted installer for all mateial added to all Singer Porsche's. They've literally have flown around the world performing installs and giving trainings.
It's not just how they cut the film, it's the technique they use to stretch the film. There are no relief cuts in my front bumper like all of the kits will have. They removed the chin spoiler and wrap it so no edges are exposed. Another example, On my Gallardo they covered the A pillars. They lifted the 1/8" rubber gasket and tucked the film behind it. No precut kit will offer this.

Installers are key for installs like Pete C said. Good installers are few and far between. A good installer will NOT cut paint. For most installs a pattern can be used. We only do custom kits or full custom depending on the situation. I used to travel every where to do installs as well but to do the level of perfection we strive for a shop is key. There are several installers around the country that can replicate their work and do just as good of job if not better. Im not saying they arent good because they most certainly are but do not knock other companies. I would put any one of my installers on any car and they will do just as good if not better.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Potsnu
It's very common to add ceramic coatings on top of Paint Protection Films.

CQuartz Finest for example will give you the wax/sealant you want to achieve and the paint is corrected before you apply PPF.

Not sure why there are all these "Spyder" specific threads when the questions apply to any model within the 981 model.

Like "How do I break in a Spyder" or "PPF for a Spyder". This is the same for anyone who owns a 981, is it not?

Keep in mind that "Xpel" seems to be the popular choice, but it is not the best choice. They do a lot of forum sponsorship, so the opinions are a bit tainted in that regard.

My local installer swears by 3M Pro Series especially on light colour cars such like white and silver in your scenario.
If you ask 50 installer that question you will get 50 different answers. There are several great films out. I have tried them all. Some are thinner, glosser, more orange peel, less orange peel, smother, clearer, easier to install, ect. To say one is better then the other is all an opinion. Most installers will install the film they think is the easiest and fastest to install. 3m is good film, but I use Xpel for SEVERAL reasons and defiantly not because its the easiest or fastest to install.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Auto Armour Inc
Installers are key for installs like Pete C said. Good installers are few and far between. A good installer will NOT cut paint.
Then I agree with you if paint is NOT cut... but pictures like this are disturbing.
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto Armour Inc
If you ask 50 installer that question you will get 50 different answers. There are several great films out. I have tried them all. Some are thinner, glosser, more orange peel, less orange peel, smother, clearer, easier to install, ect. To say one is better then the other is all an opinion. Most installers will install the film they think is the easiest and fastest to install. 3m is good film, but I use Xpel for SEVERAL reasons and defiantly not because its the easiest or fastest to install.
Absolutely correct, but I also never said ease of installation was the reason for the recommendation. Looks like most people have not heard of or tried 3M Pro Series which is a newer generation of film.

Xpel is a great PPF as well, but it should be brought up that they are a common forum sponsor on many car forums so the opinion is a bit skewed in that regard.

Installer is key of course and buying pre-cut is always less than ideal. I'm not even sure why ease of installation or fast installation is even a factor at all. Most of the time, you leave your car to the installer for an entire day anyways. So if it takes 4 hours, 6 hours, etc. doesn't really matter as I pick up the car the following day.

The colour of your car is also important, whether or not the film yellows and handles UV over time is the most important for me. Also if you're not wrapping the whole car, white can show differences in shades on certain brands of PPF.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Pete C
Pro

Then I agree with you if paint is NOT cut... but pictures like this are disturbing.
First problem is he is cutting on the hood. My guys over cuts the film then lays the film on the car. They use scissors to trim to exact length then wrap to the underside, no blade used!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely correct, but I also never said ease of installation was the reason for the recommendation. Looks like most people have not heard of or tried 3M Pro Series which is a newer generation of film.

Xpel is a great PPF as well, but it should be brought up that they are a common forum sponsor on many car forums so the opinion is a bit skewed in that regard.
Use of Xpel by many people here has little or nothing to do with them being a forums sponsor. Most of the guys I know who own Porsches, BMWs, and Ferraris don't care what PPF makers are sponsoring various forums. I went with Xpel ultimate because I had seen it on a few friends cars and it looked far better than products I had previously seen or used from 3M Venture Shield, Roadblock, Autobahn, Scotchguard etc. It was recommended by one of the top detailing/PPF installers in the Northeast, and he also had 3M products if I had wanted those. Since my Xpel Ultimate install I've had lots of guys ask both what PPF was used and can they get the contact info for the installer (because as we all know the installer is as important as the product).

I hope your 3M Pro series makes you very happy, but in my previous ownership experiences, I wasn't impressed with their PPFs. Obviously, over time newer and better products come out from different companies. Personally, I am always happy when competitors come out with great products because competition forces all companies to improve their products. Cheers!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Absolutely correct, but I also never said ease of installation was the reason for the recommendation. Looks like most people have not heard of or tried 3M Pro Series which is a newer generation of film. Xpel is a great PPF as well, but it should be brought up that they are a common forum sponsor on many car forums so the opinion is a bit skewed in that regard. Installer is key of course and buying pre-cut is always less than ideal. I'm not even sure why ease of installation or fast installation is even a factor at all. Most of the time, you leave your car to the installer for an entire day anyways. So if it takes 4 hours, 6 hours, etc. doesn't really matter as I pick up the car the following day. The colour of your car is also important, whether or not the film yellows and handles UV over time is the most important for me. Also if you're not wrapping the whole car, white can show differences in shades on certain brands of PPF.
Regardless if xpel is a forum sponsor or not if thieir film isn't good people wouldn't be buying it and giving such good reviews on it. Forums weed out bad products very quickly so I 100% disagree. You don't know why installers would use a film because its easy to install? If you do 3 cars in a day and one film takes 4 hours each car and the other takes 6 all 3 cars would take 12 hours or 18 hours. I'm not trying to point out the obvious but you work less and make more with easier film. That is why SOME installers use easier films. 3m is very good film I'm not saying your installer is wrong but to say one film is the "BEST" on all fronts is blatantly wrong. Depends on car, color and what the customer is going to use the car for we recommend different films.

First problem is he is cutting on the hood. My guys over cuts the film then lays the film on the car. They use scissors to trim to exact length then wrap to the underside, no blade used!
Agreed, no one should cut on the hood like that. We use scissors in the same manor. But sorry to tell you they do cut the film on the car in the same exact way in areas. Scissors cant be used for everything. Just like them we do not cut paint.

Last edited by Auto Armour Inc; 04-08-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

since I have been painting cars for over 30 years,

I decided to get a quart of ppg Concept Deltron in the current guards red (pre 1996 was a different shade in case you didn't know) and thinner, catalyst and flex additive as well as a new high quality air brush for touching up chips or scratches...

then I got a full suite of pro series compounds and polishes.

All in I was just under $700... in materials...

Spyders love owners with skills.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

this is where the installer comes in. The standard pre-cut kits are not designed to go around the edges and they very very visible. Xpel designs them to go on with no removal of the headlights/emblems/bumpers, etc.

They ARE custom modifiable, though, if you want to extend the kits. Mine was done by a very good installer in the bay area and I'm thrilled with it, although unfortunately, it was the second time it was done. The first installer used a standard pre-cut kit and I was not happy with the appearance.

I've seen too many razor cuts in paint to go full custom. With the laser cut kits, modified to allow the edges to be tucked, you get the best of both worlds.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Pete C
Pro

Agreed, no one should cut on the hood like that. We use scissors in the same manor. But sorry to tell you they do cut the film on the car in the same exact way in areas. Scissors cant be used for everything. Just like them we do not cut paint.[/QUOTE]

I should have clarified that there is no reason to use a blade on the hood the way it is depicted in the above picture. Yes a blade is used in other areas but like a good surgeon, they know the exact amount of pressure to "score" the film not cut through it.
I am sure there are other good installers of this product out there. In my personal experience of over a dozen cars either purchased with film already installed or me having it installed l, the guys I rely on now are in a different league. This is not just my opinion but this comes from other enthusiasts that have seen their work first hand on my cars and also cars they have wrapped for several of my other friends.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Agreed, no one should cut on the hood like that. We use scissors in the same manor. But sorry to tell you they do cut the film on the car in the same exact way in areas. Scissors cant be used for everything. Just like them we do not cut paint.

I should have clarified that there is no reason to use a blade on the hood the way it is depicted in the above picture. Yes a blade is used in other areas but like a good surgeon, they know the exact amount of pressure to "score" the film not cut through it.
I am sure there are other good installers of this product out there. In my personal experience of over a dozen cars either purchased with film already installed or me having it installed l, the guys I rely on now are in a different league. This is not just my opinion but this comes from other enthusiasts that have seen their work first hand on my cars and also cars they have wrapped for several of my other friends.

I'm glad you are happy with them. They are very very good at mobile application. They're parts of wrapping cars that cant be done mobile. Dismantling full bumpers, rockers, door handles, mirrors, to tuck in virtually every where can't be done mobile. I used to travel all the time but I no longer can because I have more work in my local area I know what to do with. People ship cars to me to have me and my training staff work on their cars
Old 04-09-2016, 12:34 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Hello Evan! Welcome to Rennlist.

Adding to the above comments:

There are many variables and factors that go into a good clear bra installation. One of the many being the film choice, there is no one size fits all solution. This is why we don't just offer one film to our clients. Some may prefer looks slightly over thickness or a brand name or longer warranty. Surprisingly enough, there is a film on the market or soon to be released that offers the most thickness, highest gloss and a 10 year warranty. We've been testing for months now!

Whats important is finding an installer that you trust, whom has your best interest in mind. The installers job is to find the best product, package and installation that fits YOUR needs and to figure out exactly what those needs are.

Cutting on paint, when done correctly does not mean the paint underneath is cut. There is a technique, feel and sound that goes into this and its a very meticulous process to perfect. Many shops do claim to not cut paint, and usually and unfortunately those are the ones that oftentimes do. Whether its a one of a kind Bugatti, or a Toyota 4 Runner, its the experience and skill of the installer whom is the deciding factor.

Dismantling cars is completely unnecessary and a large risk for the vehicle itself. Its completely possible to do a complete and extensive installation without the need to remove large items off the car like bumpers. Its much harder to do this with these items in place, but much less risk involved in doing so. Here is an example mid installation:

There is no need to dismantle the vehicle, these edges were completely trimmed and wrapped with bumpers still in place. Proof is in the install!

Last edited by TimAD; 04-09-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Spyder Clear Bra