Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X73 Suspension package in 981?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Zeus, sorry to further the highjacking of your thread!

Originally Posted by the_rider
Here are my predictions:
- There "will be" a 718 Spyder. As Afshin pointed out, it is a regular production, end-of-cycle model. With two generations in the history books, it has cemented it's legacy as one of the most exciting, road-going, open-top Porsches. The future of Spyder, at least in the near term, is secure and will continue to excite.
Agreed!

- The engine will be current NA for at least one more cycle. . . NA is a done deal.
Agreed. This is consistent with the information coming from high levels at Porsche:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...flat-6-engines

Plus, AP was interviewed in the May 2016 issue of GT Porsche and asked:

"And what of the rumours of a four-cylinder turbocharged 718 GT4?

Preuninger says future Boxster and Cayman GT cars will still use six-cylinder normally-aspirated engines."

- GT4 will be part of 718 family. No rational reason not to be.
Agreed.

- Oh, and, the next Spyder will be a GT car!
I'm on the fence about this. I think AP expressed somewhere, perhaps during an interview at the last Rennsport Reunion, a missed opportunity to bring the Spyder within the GT fold. On the other hand, I can't see a soft top GT car.

The 981 Spyder was born into a Porsche no-man's-land in the sense it's clearly more special than regular cars in the Boxster lineup, but hasn't been breathed on by GT, despite many similarities with the GT4. I think this ambiguity needs to get resolved, and will one way or another, in the 982 version of the Spyder.

My guess is that GT/Spyder cars would continue to stay a step closer to enthusiasts-side on engine choices.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Underblu
The next Spyder will almost certainly be a turbo 4 to show continuity with the 718 platform and hopefully generate some excitement around the 718 line.
Underblu, I certainly hope you are right. If so, 981 Spyder values/prices are guaranteed. However, there's too much buzz which suggests the NA 6 will live on in the 982 Spyder. See above. How do you reconcile that buzz? As just miscellaneous ramblings?

To make both the next GT4 and Spyder NA 6 would completely undermine Porsche's marketing efforts to legitimize the turbo 4 as an engine worthy of a Porsche sports car.
Gotta disagree, particularly with respect to the GT4, which I would bet heavily will remain NA 6 as opposed to the Spyder, which I'm admittedly less confident about. I can't see a turbo 4 GT car.

The GT4 being a GT car gives Porsche the latitude to keep the NA 6.
Ahhh, OK. So we do agree the GT4 will continue NA.

Additionally, the GT4 was far more successful sales wise than the 981 Spyder so there is that additional business case to continue the GT4 with the NA 6.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the GT4 was "far more successful sales wise" than the Spyder. Certainly the GT4 sold in much larger numbers, but that was because there were more cars made. If you're suggesting the Spyder, if offered in similar numbers, would not have sold, I'm not sure I'd agree with you on that.

So from Porsche's perspective, why would they subvert their 718 marketing efforts and further diminish the value of the turbo 4 to sell a very limited number of 718 Spyders with a flat 6.
Perhaps for the very reason you mention: Spyders are sold in such low numbers that the chances of them undermining 718 marketing efforts which extoll the virtues of turbos would be marginal at best.

No, the Spyder would be far better utilized by Porsche as a showcase to show the potential of the turbo 4 engine and to use that retro speed hump styling to further tie the new 718 line to the illustrious original 718.
Good point on the 718 styling tie-in to the historic 718.

It would also counterbalance a flat 6 718 GT4 with a hot setup 718 that uses the turbo 4.
True.

Porsche doesn't strike me as a stupid company so for those reasons I can't see them offering a 718 Spyder with anything other than a turbo 4.
Brother, I don't agree, but I love how you think and sure hope you're right!!

Adding an MT to the next GT3 makes perfect business sense. Putting a flat 6 in the next Spyder absolutely does not.
The only sense that concerns me are the cents that would line my pockets if the next Spyder is turbocharged!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Putting a flat 6 in the next Spyder absolutely does not.
Unless it's made a GT car. And Porsche probably will. Another member mentioned Porsche already trademarked 'GT5', so that might be it. We'll see.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would be very surprised if they made the next Spyder a full on GT car. A soft top doesn't lend itself to high speed track use and they already have a GT4 to fill that position.

I think it will continue the "driver focused" tradition the two previous cars provided although it may have more bits and pieces from the GT4. I could definitely see them taking design cues from the 718 of yesteryear and honestly I think that would be pretty cool. Hopefully they also put an emphasis on reducing even more weight, that could make it a unicorn.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:00 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I agree, I really can't see Porsche doing a convertible GT car. It's an anathema to the motepsports division and I have to speculate that if they were to build such a GT car they would do it for their flagship 911 platform first.

Rumours are just that. At best we speculate and try to make predictions.

Like I said in my previous post, there is no business case for Porsche to sever the 718 Spyder from the 718 platform by offering it with a flat 6. There is on the other hand, a very strong business case for Porsche to provide an exiting 718 based car that showcases the turbo 4 platform and really draws a connection to the original 718. A turbo 4 718 Spyder could be just that car.

For those that want a mid engine Porsche with a NA 6 a GT4.2 makes perfect sense and would follow up on the very popular highly successful GT4.1.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would be very surprised if they made the next Spyder a full on GT car. A soft top doesn't lend itself to high speed track use and they already have a GT4 to fill that position.

I think it will continue the "driver focused" tradition the two previous cars provided although it may have more bits and pieces from the GT4. I could definitely see them taking design cues from the 718 of yesteryear and honestly I think that would be pretty cool. Hopefully they also put an emphasis on reducing even more weight, that could make it a unicorn.

Last edited by Underblu; 10-17-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:21 AM
Underblu
Banned

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Unless it's made a GT car. And Porsche probably will. Another member mentioned Porsche already trademarked 'GT5', so that might be it. We'll see.
Well we won't know what happens until it happens but Porsche trademarked GT5 in May of 2015. The specualtion at that time was the possibility of a Boxster GT car. It didn't happen. The
Spyder happened.

With the 718 platform, Porsche has positioned the Boxster above the slightly less expensive Cayman. So even in the lightening strike of a chance Porsche decides to do a GT Boxster, Spyder would be a far more fitting monicker than GT5.
The following users liked this post:
Stevebuccheri (05-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:02 AM
Underblu
Banned

I gotta earn how to multiquote. Anyway a couple points.

First off, iif you read further down on the motorauthority article you site you will see that they say an NA6 will be available specifically in the GT4, GT3 and GT3RS.

There is no Boxster GT. Porsche has never built a Convertible GT car so I would take the statement that future Boxster and Cayman GT cars will STILL use an NA 6 to mean that the GT4 will still use an NA 6.

Sales wise, I beleive Spyder production was less than half of GT4 production. GT4 cars sold at a premium unless you had reserved an allocation. Conversely, Spyders were widely available given such limited numbers and could even be had at a discount. So clearly. the GT4 was far more successful than the Spyder. In fact some Spyders were bought by enthusiasts who couldn't get a GT4 allocation and didn't want to pay a premium.

Porsche's GT division may have a lot of sway with regard to building Porsche's GT cars but the marketing department would likely get the final word with regard to how the various models are positioned. I cannot see the business case for Porsche to undermine the turbo 4 718 platform with a NA 6 Spyder especially when a turbo 4 Spyder could rgenerate excitement for the whole 718 platform. And considering the ease of generating additional HP from a turbo engine, a 400HP turbo Spyder seems completely realistic.

Look, I'm an open top guy. I would love a convertible GT Porsche. I'm on the waiting list for the next GT3 but if Porsche launched a next gen Spyder GT car with an NA flat 6 I would certianly choose it over the GT3

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Zeus, sorry to further the highjacking of your thread!

Agreed!

Agreed. This is consistent with the information coming from high levels at Porsche:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...flat-6-engines

Plus, AP was interviewed in the May 2016 issue of GT Porsche and asked:

"And what of the rumours of a four-cylinder turbocharged 718 GT4?

Preuninger says future Boxster and Cayman GT cars will still use six-cylinder normally-aspirated engines."

Agreed.

I'm on the fence about this. I think AP expressed somewhere, perhaps during an interview at the last Rennsport Reunion, a missed opportunity to bring the Spyder within the GT fold. On the other hand, I can't see a soft top GT car.

The 981 Spyder was born into a Porsche no-man's-land in the sense it's clearly more special than regular cars in the Boxster lineup, but hasn't been breathed on by GT, despite many similarities with the GT4. I think this ambiguity needs to get resolved, and will one way or another, in the 982 version of the Spyder.

Agreed.

Underblu, I certainly hope you are right. If so, 981 Spyder values/prices are guaranteed. However, there's too much buzz which suggests the NA 6 will live on in the 982 Spyder. See above. How do you reconcile that buzz? As just miscellaneous ramblings?

Gotta disagree, particularly with respect to the GT4, which I would bet heavily will remain NA 6 as opposed to the Spyder, which I'm admittedly less confident about. I can't see a turbo 4 GT car.

Ahhh, OK. So we do agree the GT4 will continue NA.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the GT4 was "far more successful sales wise" than the Spyder. Certainly the GT4 sold in much larger numbers, but that was because there were more cars made. If you're suggesting the Spyder, if offered in similar numbers, would not have sold, I'm not sure I'd agree with you on that.

Perhaps for the very reason you mention: Spyders are sold in such low numbers that the chances of them undermining 718 marketing efforts which extoll the virtues of turbos would be marginal at best.

Good point on the 718 styling tie-in to the historic 718.

True.

Brother, I don't agree, but I love how you think and sure hope you're right!!

The only sense that concerns me are the cents that would line my pockets if the next Spyder is turbocharged!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:33 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I gotta earn how to multiquote. Anyway a couple points.
In the bottom right click on the center " with a plus on the posts you want to respond to. After adding the last one, click on the " " to the left and off you go.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Underblu
Banned

Originally Posted by il pirata
In the bottom right click on the center " with a plus on the posts you want to respond to. After adding the last one, click on the " " to the left and off you go.
Thanks, il pirata, I will try that again. tried it before but it didn't seem to work for some reason which I'm sure is operator error.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

The next Spyder will almost certainly be a turbo 4 to show continuity with the 718 platform and hopefully generate some excitement around the 718 line.

To make both the next GT4 and Spyder NA 6 would completely undermine Porsche's marketing efforts to legitimize the turbo 4 as an engine worthy of a Porsche sports car.

The GT4 being a GT car gives Porsche the latitude to keep the NA 6. Additionally, the GT4 was far more successful sales wise than the 981 Spyder so there is that additional business case to continue the GT4 with the NA 6.

So from Porsche's perspective, why would they subvert their 718 marketing efforts and further diminish the value of the turbo 4 to sell a very limited number of 718 Spyders with a flat 6.

No, the Spyder would be far better utilized by Porsche as a showcase to show the potential of the turbo 4 engine and to use that retro speed hump styling to further tie the new 718 line to the illustrious original 718.

It would also counterbalance a flat 6 718 GT4 with a hot setup 718 that uses the turbo 4.

Porsche doesn't strike me as a stupid company so for those reasons I can't see them offering a 718 Spyder with anything other than a turbo 4.

To the poster that mentions Porsche's change of heart with regard to putting an MT in the next GT3, it is clear they did this because of the tremendous outcry for such a car. I also suspect that many of the folks in the Motorsports division were in favor of such a move. Not to mention the fact that utilizing the MT transmission in the 911R just makes business sense as does offering a MT 991.2 GT3 to many loyal Porsche enthusiast who felt cheated out of the 911R.

Adding an MT to the next GT3 makes perfect business sense. Putting a flat 6 in the next Spyder absolutely does not.
Bit of thread resurrection, as I'm currently weighing up 981 Cayman S suspension options ...
With the benefit of hindsight, I think we can agree you drastically underestimated Porsche and it's ability to respond to its customers demands ...
Spyder : N/A flat 6, and as close to a GT car as Porsche would ever allow the Cayman/Boxster range to be.

Probably best we don't mention the 4.0 GTS Cayman/Boxster ...

Has anyone fitted Ohlins R&T to their 981 Cayman S primarily for road use ? If so, any reviews would be welcomed.

Quick Reply: X73 Suspension package in 981?