Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman S 2014 question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 AM
judo3434
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayman S 2014 question!

Hey guys,

which color do you guys like the most on the new cayman S 2014s?

My favorites- guards red, gt silver, white

Also, which options would you want to get in yours

My must haves-pdk, sports exhaust

possible haves-sports chrono package (only because traffic in LA is bad and u can never drive fast really) Black rims, navi package....

give me your opinions!! appreciate the help!

thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by judo3434
Hey guys,

which color do you guys like the most on the new cayman S 2014s?

My favorites- guards red, gt silver, white

Also, which options would you want to get in yours

My must haves-pdk, sports exhaust

possible haves-sports chrono package (only because traffic in LA is bad and u can never drive fast really) Black rims, navi package....

give me your opinions!! appreciate the help!

thanks
Colors are a personal matter. I like all colors but I would have to say black is at the bottom of my list. Not because of the color per se but of the difficulty in keeping it looking nice. However, I would have bought a basalt black car had I come upon one I liked. Darker colors, like dark blue are likewise down low. Although my 02 Boxster is Lapis Blue and this is a very nice color and not too hard to keep looking nice. My Turbo is arctic silver.

I bought an 08 Cayman S in speed yellow. I didn't go out looking for a speed yellow car but came upon a nice example, a new car, marked down by $12K and bought it. (This was back in early 2009.)

6-speed. Black leather interior. Sports Chrono. Heated seats. (I didn't care for mine but female passengers loved the heated seat.) I can't recall now if the car had auto climate control or manual A/C. (I lost the car 4 weeks after purchase due to an accident. Not my fault!)

I didn't really care for the sports chromo feature. Made the throttle too touchy to use in town and I never planned on tracking the car.

PDK wasn't an option then. Now?.... I think this is something you'd have to decide based on your personal tastes/preferences and how you plan on using the car. I note you mention LA area and traffic. An automatic has some attraction given this day to day usage.

I really like the auto climate control heater/AC in both my Boxster and my Turbo. From below freezing to 118F in the shade it is set and forget. I put the temperature setting on 72F and after a short amount of time the cabin is comfortable and remains so no matter what.

And the A/C operation is un-intrusive. I do not like other cars in which one can tell every time the A/C compressor comes on or switches off. With auto climate the compressor is variable displacement and its displacement is dialed down or up to control the amount of cooling. One doesn't even know the A/C is on other than the cabin temperature remains at whatever it is set at.

Oh, and even if one doesn't have the compressor on the system still has an automatic feature to it. I turn off the unit by setting the fan speed to off. Then press the temperature control button to select 72F and the fan speed and vent openings are automatically adjusted to bring the cabin to that temperature and hold it. 'course, this assumes the climate conditions are not extreme that outside air and heated air can be used to bring about the desired cabin temperature, but in my area where I live and drive this is often the case. (Like yesterday with my dad in the car. Mid-60s temperature and I had the cabin temperature set to 72F and this kept the cabin temperature at 72F and my dad happy -- he's 94 and gets cold easily -- and yet I was not sweltering. I take after my mom who can't stand excessive heat.)

Other must haves are cruise control and an on-board computer and variable perhaps even rain sensing wipers, oh and bi-xenon headlights. I have all of these in my Turbo. The Boxster lacks the fancy headlights and lacks rain sensing wipers and variable wiper controls and often when in rain the wipers are moving too fast or too slow. The Turbo with its rain sensing wipers is always just right.

Around town the bi-xenon lights don't bring much to the table but when I venture out of town on the open road the difference between the Turbo's headlights and the Boxster's headlights are like day and night. And I was quite impressed with the Boxster's headlights too. They are still good but the bi-xenons lights are the best.

The Turbo has auto-dimming mirrors This is a nice feature. And memory seats. Kind of nice but not a must have for me.

Oh, and I'm apparently alone in this but I like the rear wiper on my Turbo. If the Cayman can be had with this you might consider it. I like to be able to clear the rear window of water and then once under way unless I stop again the rear window stays dry.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Color is a very personal choice. You should go and look at the car in person in various colors before making a choice. That being said, a poll on one forum showed white and agate gray are 2 of the most popular colors right now.

Personally, I've never been a fan of red on Porsches...and white I really only like on the old 930. Our last car was GT Silver and I liked it a lot but my wife though silver was becoming boring. If I got silver I'd probably get Rhodium silver as I don't think the huge upcharge for GT Silver is worth it. I'd put that money into other options.

If you are getting PDK, be sure you get a car with the sport design wheel and paddle shifters. I hate the steering wheel with buttons set up that is on some PDK cars. I'd also ad Sport Chrono, as the car is quicker with it (even if you can't drive all that fast on LA highways, I'd want it...but that's just me).

I'd probably skip black rims, I find the wheels have no real definition in black. I'd rather have them in platinum, or just the regular silver.

I chose most of the performance options, Sport Chrono, PTV (big difference in cornering), PASM, and PSE. I went with PASM which is 10mm lower than the stock height, and it has a nice ride that soaks up bumps in normal setting even with 20" alloys, but in support its a much firmer aggressive ride. I briefly considered the sport suspension, but with our less than perfect roads in my area, I was concerned the ride could be a too firm and with a ride height 20mm lower than stock I might be scraping the bottom of the car more frequently. Our old 987 with PASM was 10mm lower and it would occasionally scrape the little rubber flaps behind the front wheels, I imagine things would have been worse if the car were 20mm lower.

I also ordered full leather, as my wife thought a car in this price range shouldn't have a largely plastic interior, and I agree. It also gives the interior a more upscale feel.

You should play with the configurator to check out various options, and try to drive some cars that have the options you are considering.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster

I didn't really care for the sports chromo feature. Made the throttle too touchy to use in town and I never planned on tracking the car.

Other must haves are cruise control and an on-board computer and variable perhaps even rain sensing wipers, oh and bi-xenon headlights. I have all of these in my Turbo. The Boxster lacks the fancy headlights and lacks rain sensing wipers and variable wiper controls and often when in rain the wipers are moving too fast or too slow. The Turbo with its rain sensing wipers is always just right.

Around town the bi-xenon lights don't bring much to the table but when I venture out of town on the open road the difference between the Turbo's headlights and the Boxster's headlights are like day and night. And I was quite impressed with the Boxster's headlights too. They are still good but the bi-xenons lights are the best.

The Turbo has auto-dimming mirrors This is a nice feature. And memory seats. Kind of nice but not a must have for me.

Oh, and I'm apparently alone in this but I like the rear wiper on my Turbo. If the Cayman can be had with this you might consider it. I like to be able to clear the rear window of water and then once under way unless I stop again the rear window stays dry.
Lots of things have changed since your last Cayman S.

The Cayman S has a sport button (like on the old sport chrono). On the manual's its not "touchy" the way it was on your old 987 Cayman S or on my old 987 RS60. But if he gets PDK, it gives him launch control, a sport + setting, dyanamic transmission mounts, and the car is much quicker than without it.

The 981 Cayman S (and Boxster S) both come standard with bi-xenon headlamps. The option with them is now is a cornering feature and headlamp washers. I liked the cornering feature because there are lots of winding roads around our home.

I also like the dimming mirrors and those are part of a package that includes rain sensing wipers.

Yes, a rear wiper is available on the Cayman S. I rarely drive good cars in rain, but I liked having it on my old 944 years ago so I ordered one on my CS.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver used to be my favorite; but I think the white looks really good..
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

the option that I didn't get that I miss is the keyless ignition option - that's really handy to not have to fish around for keys, you can stuff the thing in a back pocket or somethign and just forget about it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
RVExotics
Intermediate

Quick question about the headlamps as I'm new here and new to the concept of possibly owning a Porsche. Does the 2014 Cayman in base trim come standard with xenons? Both the Cayman and Cayman S have an option bi-xenon headlamp option that adds the things Dino944 mentioned, but I'm assuming the car would have xenons without checking that particular box, it just wouldn't do the enhanced features?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to learning much from you guys.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by RVExotics
Quick question about the headlamps as I'm new here and new to the concept of possibly owning a Porsche. Does the 2014 Cayman in base trim come standard with xenons? Both the Cayman and Cayman S have an option bi-xenon headlamp option that adds the things Dino944 mentioned, but I'm assuming the car would have xenons without checking that particular box, it just wouldn't do the enhanced features?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to learning much from you guys.
No, the base Cayman has projection halogens. The "S" comes with xenons, and the only option on the S is enhancing them with the cornering feature and the headlamp washers.

Notice the Bi-Xenon's with cornering are about $1,560 with the base model because you are also ADDING xenons along with the cornering feature and washers. With the S, the headlamp option is $690 because you are only adding the cornering feature and washers, as that car comes standard with xenons.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Sport chrono a must IMO and really fun with the PDK I wouldn't buy a used cayman s without it personally. Don't forget the red seat belts!

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman S 2014 question!