Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would you go OEM or aftermarket for winter wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 PM
user2013
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you go OEM or aftermarket for winter wheels?

My family needs to drive the new Cayman in the winter and I need a winter set. I was about to buy a set from Tirerack called "Sport Edition" which is the store's own brand, but then I read the posts here and elsewhere about severe vibration issues above 60 mph.

My other aftermarket options are Andros, BBS, and OZ. I don't know if any of these will do better than that Sport Edition brand. I think my local parts supplier just order from Tirerack and charge me a higher price. Porsche OEM set from the dealer costs a thousand more than the cheapest aftermarket sets.

Which would you go in this case?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by user2013
My family needs to drive the new Cayman in the winter and I need a winter set. I was about to buy a set from Tirerack called "Sport Edition" which is the store's own brand, but then I read the posts here and elsewhere about severe vibration issues above 60 mph.

My other aftermarket options are Andros, BBS, and OZ. I don't know if any of these will do better than that Sport Edition brand. I think my local parts supplier just order from Tirerack and charge me a higher price. Porsche OEM set from the dealer costs a thousand more than the cheapest aftermarket sets.

Which would you go in this case?

Go for a used OEM set. I have always found OEM wheels to be of better quality in harsh winter environments (pot holes and road salt).

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 10-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Sport Ed wheels are crap! POS heavy and not strong made in CHina. Walk.

The BBS and OZ wheels are nice and prob lighter than OEM. However given the strength, cost, and availability i would go w/ USED OEMs.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
phlegm
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not tried the Tire Rack ones you mention, but the vibration could be the result of dirt/ice/snow that accumulates in one area inside the wheel. Obviously this leads to wicked vibration at higher speeds.

I find that I have to regularly check and/or flush out his buildup when I feel the start of vibration. (Initially I thought it was a balance issue, such as a weight being thrown/lost.)

I suspect a better solution to mitigate this is to use the old standard black steel winter wheels, but there's no way I'd use them - fugly.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by phlegm
I suspect a better solution to mitigate this is to use the old standard black steel winter wheels, but there's no way I'd use them - fugly.
That would be a great solution but you will probably not find them in the size required.

Quick Reply: would you go OEM or aftermarket for winter wheels?