Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder/Cayman R owners tempted by the 2015 981 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I love the new Cayman, it is IMHO the best looking and probably the best handling Porsche currently offered. The GT3 will be a big performance improvement but Porsche is definitely moving away from the actual experience and moving towards the numbers and capabilities. If that's what is being demanded by customers then you just have to be more selective.

Getting back on topic, I wouldn't trade my Spyder for a Cayman GTS. Now if they offered a Cayman GT3 or RS version with lightweight goodies, suspension upgrades, more power and it didn't cost significantly more I would be very tempted. Still the Spyder will be tough to beat with its unique looks, focused experience and capabilities. I really don't need more for the street.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Very mild bumps in power, equipment, and price. If they do offer 981 Spyder and R models, based on the price on the leaked slide for the GTS, they will be $80k.

So the new tradition of constantly coming out with new variations, making your customers kick themselves for not waiting 6 months, continues. Seems like a good business model for short term profits, and a poor business model for keeping happy, loyal customers. But what do I know...
I'm with you on this.

Beyond my personal disdain for the direction Porsche has gone with the 981/991, when you look at the pricing delta with each HP iteration, it is far cheaper to let the aftermarket handle everything - a 3.8 conversion will cost me far less (depreciation, sales tax, new car price increase) than swapping a CR to a 981 derivative). And my experience with Porsche's warranties since VW took over is that if it isn't an interior part, Porsche won't cover it, anyway.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:44 PM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand behind my prediction that the 981 lineup will go to a turbo-4 at the mid-cycle refresh, after which the Spyder and R successors will be introduced with horsepower under that of the bottom-rung 991 (which should be higher than 350 by then), but with more torque. This will allow the mid-engined chassis to finally be challenged, but with fewer cylinders and less horsepower than the sacred 911.
Can you give me some stock advice? Your predictions were spot-on.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I stand behind my prediction that the 981 lineup will go to a turbo-4 at the mid-cycle refresh, after which the Spyder and R successors will be introduced with horsepower under that of the bottom-rung 991 (which should be higher than 350 by then), but with more torque. This will allow the mid-engined chassis to finally be challenged, but with fewer cylinders and less horsepower than the sacred 911.
Originally Posted by donoman
Can you give me some stock advice? Your predictions were spot-on.

Actually the Spyder and R successors came out first still NA engines. Horesepower above the 991 but below the 991S. The refreshed with turbo models are following. According to recent articles the GT type cars (GT3, GT4, Spyder) will remain NA with all other models will going turbo.

Better job of guessing than me.

Last edited by il pirata; 08-07-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyder/Cayman R owners tempted by the 2015 981 GTS?