Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My final build is locked.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 648 Posts
Default My final build is locked.

First, I want to publicly thank Brad Kennett from Porsche Beachwood for his help as sales consultant (good guy who actually likes the cars he sells) and especially Eduardo for both his brilliant threads on custom ordering a car and his generosity in sharing both his knowledge and his time through the forums and PMs. He has responded quickly and thoughtfully to all of my many questions over the last few weeks. So, thank you both!
So, here's what I'll be getting in late May or early June:

2013 Boxster S
P91 BOSE infotainment
P94 Premium Package
6V Roadster top in Brown
Y8 Mahogany Metallic
NE Leather interior in natural leather Espresso
603 Bi-Xenons PDLS
636 Park assist (front and rear)
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors
220 PTV
475 PASM
480 Manual transmission
640 Sport Chrono icw PCM
400 19" Boxster S wheels
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
541 Seat ventilation
582 Smoking package
630 Light Design Package
P06 14 way power seats
XYG Center console trim painted exterior color
844 Multi-function steering wheel
998 Leather interior in natural leather
UN1 Online Services

I have had 4 911s, but this is the first car I have ordered. Fun.
I was between black/black (but was terrified of cleaning it), dark blue/dark blue and the combo above (Brad confirmed yesterday PAG won't start painting Sapphire Blue until September). Now, that may change next week, but I wasn't willing to lose an entire driving season, even though that color does look great (I have already sold the 993 in my Avatar, which I have been too lazy to change).
My wife (and especially daughter) much preferred the Mahogany to the other two. If you haven't seen it in person, it's a very nice color with hints of red and almost black looking on a cloudy day. Brad has a base car on the lot in this color combo that we were able to look at inside and outside (cloudy/snowing today) and I saw it in bright sun the first day I stopped by to look or I would have never thought of getting it. It looks to me a little like a root beer Popsicle, which I always liked...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
981FTW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunning!! Can't think of a thing to change.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 981FTW
Stunning!! Can't think of a thing to change.
Thanks. Good thing, since the dealer is closed and no more changes!
The sticker ended up higher than I planned, but there's nothing on it i don't want.
I plan to keep it at least several years, but I have said that before...
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Congratulations! It will look great!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Eduardo. You were most helpful!
It's a very interesting color that probably won't be overbuilt. The difference in appearance from indoor fluorescent lighting to outdoor was incredible.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo, I am quite disappointed that you did not provide an outdoor picture! :-)

You are very generous with your help and knowledge!!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats! Very nice.

And, yes, Eduardo is great. Fountain of knowledge and very helpful.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

I'm looking forward to hearing from you on how you like the 981 vs the 997. I'm a 997 convert but the 981 looks like a great car that would work well for me. Keep us posted!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I'm looking forward to hearing from you on how you like the 981 vs the 997. I'm a 997 convert but the 981 looks like a great car that would work well for me. Keep us posted!
I had a 993, not a 997. I have driven 997S and GTS, as well as base and S 991s. I went with the 981S because I was stunned how fun it was to drive, how nice the interior is (especially with natural leather) and how well the top worked. When I sat in it, everything was where it felt it should be and the shifter was right where I put my hand. I tried the 18 way seats but like the 14 way seats better for my build. The others are great cars, but the 981S is just so much car for the money, IMO. I actually thought the base 981 was fine, but I started adding so many accessories, it didn't make sense not to get the 3.4 liter engine. I tried very much to like the PDK, since its faster and may well have better relsale value down the road, but I just couldn't see it in this car. The 6 speed is too good not to get (for "free")...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I had a 993, not a 997. I have driven 997S and GTS, as well as base and S 991s. I went with the 981S because I was stunned how fun it was to drive, how nice the interior is (especially with natural leather) and how well the top worked. When I sat in it, everything was where it felt it should be and the shifter was right where I put my hand. I tried the 18 way seats but like the 14 way seats better for my build. The others are great cars, but the 981S is just so much car for the money, IMO. I actually thought the base 981 was fine, but I started adding so many accessories, it didn't make sense not to get the 3.4 liter engine. I tried very much to like the PDK, since its faster and may well have better relsale value down the road, but I just couldn't see it in this car. The 6 speed is too good not to get (for "free")...
Yep. Agree. I specked ut a 981 S with full leather, PCCBs, Sport Steering wheel etc... And I came close to 100k CND. Super nice and a good 60k less than the equivelent 991 S.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yep. Agree. I specked ut a 981 S with full leather, PCCBs, Sport Steering wheel etc... And I came close to 100k CND. Super nice and a good 60k less than the equivelent 991 S.
Exactly. Every time I "built" a 991, I couldn't get under $125K US for what I wanted in a car. I wanted a car ASAP and dealer found an April build as a '13. The sticker is more than $40K less than a comparably equipped 991. The 991 is a great car, of course, but the 981S has nothing to apologize for. I simply couldn't believe how fun it was to drive (it was the first time I had been in a Boxster).
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

First, I want to publicly thank Brad Kennett from Porsche Beachwood for his help as sales consultant (good guy who actually likes the cars he sells) and especially Eduardo for both his brilliant threads on custom ordering a car and his generosity in sharing both his knowledge and his time through the forums and PMs. He has responded quickly and thoughtfully to all of my many questions over the last few weeks. So, thank you both!
So, here's what I'll be getting in late May or early June:

2013 Boxster S
P91 BOSE infotainment
P94 Premium Package
6V Roadster top in Brown
Y8 Mahogany Metallic
NE Leather interior in natural leather Espresso
603 Bi-Xenons PDLS
636 Park assist (front and rear)
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors
220 PTV
475 PASM
480 Manual transmission
640 Sport Chrono icw PCM
400 19" Boxster S wheels
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
541 Seat ventilation
582 Smoking package
630 Light Design Package
P06 14 way power seats
XYG Center console trim painted exterior color
844 Multi-function steering wheel
998 Leather interior in natural leather
UN1 Online Services

I have had 4 911s, but this is the first car I have ordered. Fun.
I was between black/black (but was terrified of cleaning it), dark blue/dark blue and the combo above (Brad confirmed yesterday PAG won't start painting Sapphire Blue until September). Now, that may change next week, but I wasn't willing to lose an entire driving season, even though that color does look great (I have already sold the 993 in my Avatar, which I have been too lazy to change).
My wife (and especially daughter) much preferred the Mahogany to the other two. If you haven't seen it in person, it's a very nice color with hints of red and almost black looking on a cloudy day. Brad has a base car on the lot in this color combo that we were able to look at inside and outside (cloudy/snowing today) and I saw it in bright sun the first day I stopped by to look or I would have never thought of getting it. It looks to me a little like a root beer Popsicle, which I always liked...
Glad to see you went the spartan route. Sorry, I am just jealous. I test drove a 981 S MT last weekend with all the bells and whistles and loved the car. I just couldn't justify the $45,000 additional $$$ from my 2010 base Boxster. Someday though. Enjoy the glorious ride! Congratulations!
PS Great color choice, so bold
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meteor10
Glad to see you went the spartan route. Sorry, I am just jealous. I test drove a 981 S MT last weekend with all the bells and whistles and loved the car. I just couldn't justify the $45,000 additional $$$ from my 2010 base Boxster. Someday though. Enjoy the glorious ride! Congratulations!
PS Great color choice, so bold
Thanks. I would have never ordered that color combo if I hadn't seen it on the floor at the dealer, but it really worked well with the Espresso. Plus, my daughter was home for a visit and she made a big push for it.
As far as price, just think of how many fake dollars Mr. Bernanke has printed since your 2010 was built...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. I would have never ordered that color combo if I hadn't seen it on the floor at the dealer, but it really worked well with the Espresso. Plus, my daughter was home for a visit and she made a big push for it.
As far as price, just think of how many fake dollars Mr. Bernanke has printed since your 2010 was built...
True that, but not enough of those fake dollars have come my way in the last couple of years.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meteor10
True that, but not enough of those fake dollars have come my way in the last couple of years.
I'm acquiring hard assets I plan to keep for several years, this car being one of them. I just don't see any way to avoid hyperinflation at some point with our current regime and fiscal policy. Inflation numbers already exclude food and fuel, thereby keeping the official number artificially low. Odd things to leave out when one considers they are two components of the economy people have to purchase on a regular basis.
But I digress. And this isn't OT.
Sorry.

Quick Reply: My final build is locked.