Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
But, everything I've seen says that PCCBs outlast iron rotors (with the same use - street or track), but that doesn't help with the value proposition.
Oh yeah, I'm sorry, I should've made that clearer. I have no doubt that PCCB rotors last longer than iron on the track. However, the problem is that they don't last 10 times longer (far less than that). So one ends up spending much more $$$ over time while running PCCBs.

PCCB pads also cost much more than OEM or track pads. I believe they're over $700 for the fronts on GT3s.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Of course I will. That's the first thing I'm going to look at. You know me well enough.

Yes, still using the original PCCB calipers.
Another option you can consider :

Switch to the red S/Spyder calipers and save the yellow PCCB calipers. You can sell PCCB with calipers for very nice pocket change (money back for the sport bucket pain ) or save the calipers for when you later put them back on (since they'll get nicked and discolored from track usage).

You'll also save money on (smaller) track pads and iron rotors. IMO you'll not lose much noticeable braking performance by going to smaller rotors and 4-piston calipers. I use Pagid Yellows front & back with stock rotors and they work great. One Chief Instructor actually told me he was surprised how late into the braking zone I could take it before (threshold-) braking.

One last thing: get Sebro slotted rotors. At least for the front. Stock "cross drilled" rotors (I'm told they're not actually drilled) crack quickly from track usage. Most people don't seem to have problems with cracking the rears but YMMV.

Of course, all this changing will mess up the info that Steve requested... And my apologies if I've just regurgitated a whole bunch of crap that you already know!!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
PCCB pads also cost much more than OEM or track pads. I believe they're over $700 for the fronts on GT3s.
Replacement PCCB pads are generic Pagid P40 pads. Nothing special about them. Cost for replacement front pads on my PCCB spyder was $300 shipped from Isringhausen Porsche.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Another option you can consider :

Switch to the red S/Spyder calipers and save the yellow PCCB calipers. You can sell PCCB with calipers for very nice pocket change (money back for the sport bucket pain ) or save the calipers for when you later put them back on (since they'll get nicked and discolored from track usage).

You'll also save money on (smaller) track pads and iron rotors. IMO you'll not lose much noticeable braking performance by going to smaller rotors and 4-piston calipers. I use Pagid Yellows front & back with stock rotors and they work great. One Chief Instructor actually told me he was surprised how late into the braking zone I could take it before (threshold-) braking.

One last thing: get Sebro slotted rotors. At least for the front. Stock "cross drilled" rotors (I'm told they're not actually drilled) crack quickly from track usage. Most people don't seem to have problems with cracking the rears but YMMV.

Of course, all this changing will mess up the info that Steve requested... And my apologies if I've just regurgitated a whole bunch of crap that you already know!!
Given that the large 350mm steel rotors will definitely be significantly heavier, I have contemplated doing such a thing. I'll be going girodisc slotted rotors, regardless. The ricer in me loves the look of the 6 piston calipers, though. I also worry about the paint fading/cracking, but maybe with the larger size calipers/rotors, heat won't be as bad?

Interesting that you like the pagid yellow RS29s. Many people have said they are great up until you reach the halfway point, where the start to perform poorly. Have you noticed this at all? The poster child right now appears to be the PFC08s, which is what I will be going for.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Replacement PCCB pads are generic Pagid P40 pads. Nothing special about them. Cost for replacement front pads on my PCCB spyder was $300 shipped from Isringhausen Porsche.
That's interesting. I remember someone (GT3DE) saying "there goes another $700" while changing GT3's PCCB pads at the track. Hmm..

Given that the large 350mm steel rotors will definitely be significantly heavier, I have contemplated doing such a thing. I'll be going girodisc slotted rotors, regardless. The ricer in me loves the look of the 6 piston calipers, though. I also worry about the paint fading/cracking, but maybe with the larger size calipers/rotors, heat won't be as bad?

Interesting that you like the pagid yellow RS29s. Many people have said they are great up until you reach the halfway point, where the start to perform poorly. Have you noticed this at all? The poster child right now appears to be the PFC08s, which is what I will be going for.
Girodiscs are larger than OEM and look cool. However, I don't think they're cost-effective. Multiple people have reported that they crack too soon to justify the higher cost, i.e. they don't last long enough to cost less over time vs. OEM. Those people are switching to Sebro slotted.

LOL about the ricer comment. I hear ya - I love 'em too. I once made the mistake of parking my Boxster S next to a buddy's GT3 at the track.... To be honest, the severe disparity in the rotor and caliper sizes was downright embarrassing!!

The heat will definitely be your enemy once you start going with track pads (Pagids, PFC, Endless, etc.). I'd avoid Pagid Blacks for this reason. I believe you have GT3 brake ducts in the front. You should look into getting brake ducts for the rear. You'll have to modify some other model's to get to fit on 987s. With time, the red calipers turn dark red then brown... our tech chair apparently calls them brownbos. Let me look up some threads in case you're interested. I put 996 turbo ducts on mine over the winter but think will also add 997 turbo ducts that I've recently become aware of. 981's may also fit but no one has reported trying them yet. Finally, it's not just the heat but brake fluid, CV joint grease leakage (can happen, and will fling), brake dust, stones and debris, and godknowswhat other crap.

Interesting what you said about Pagid RS29s (what I run). I've been running them for over 20 days and never noticed such behavior. I wasn't really paying attention either, but such behavior didn't jump out and become noticeable - at least not to me. I've personally never heard anyone describe them that way, but maybe I just haven't heard the sentiment. Finally, Pagid Yellows are what numerous professional teams run... a pretty good endorsement.

I wonder if the sentiment has to do with the brake fluid (pad gets thinner and transfers more heat to the caliper, etc.) or if RS29s degrade more quickly once they start getting thin. Interesting..

In any case, PFC08 or 06 seem to be very good pads and I'm probably going to try them as my next set. One instructor has commented that he thinks Pagids are "overrated and overpriced"; he prefers PFC instead. For my stock size application, a set of front and rear PFCs will be about $60 less than a set of RS29s. It's not all that much money but it all adds up when you get several sets over time, I guess.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Default Rear brake duct info for 987

Here are threads about fitting rear brake ducts on 987s (don't worry, 981 folks, you already have them ):

996 turbo/GT2 rear brake ducts:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ake-ducts.html

Better pics here but you need to be a PCA member to register and view:

http://caymanregister.org/showthread...ar+brake+ducts

997 turbo ducts (post #17 and later):

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-r-setups.html

Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the info, vet. I'll look into getting some rear brake ducts since I'll be generating more heat now with steels and track pads.

As far as rotors go, I only have one option when it comes to replacements for the PCCB sized rotors on my car, and that's girodisc. Ben has had pretty good luck with the girodiscs, so hopefully it will be the same for me.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info, vet. I'll look into getting some rear brake ducts since I'll be generating more heat now with steels and track pads.

As far as rotors go, I only have one option when it comes to replacements for the PCCB sized rotors on my car, and that's girodisc. Ben has had pretty good luck with the girodiscs, so hopefully it will be the same for me.
No problem, Joe.

You're about the rotor sizes. When I said switching to stock rotors, I'd meant switching out wheel bearings/carriers as well. Can be done but don't know about the cost.

Quick Reply: Got it!