Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Break-In Period

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Like i said... It's all voodoo... Nobody can prove that their break in regimen actually was of any benefit. My non scientific gut feel tells me that break-in procedures don't really have any benefit other than making people feel better. I still like to break my cars in because it makes me feel better. 1000 miles on the BRZ? Time to take it to the track.
Mate, in the UK, there is no rev limit for the first 3,000km. It just says to avoid high rpms and motorsport events. In that spirit, I break in both spyders and CR by driving under 4000 rpm for about 500 miles then increase by 1000 rpm every 100 miles and complete the break-in after 1000 miles. The CR used a little bit of oil (1 segment in the oil level indicator, not enough to top up) but both spyders didn't see any drop in the oil level indicator. The porsche technician told me that there isn't a break-in procedure anymore, but there's no reason to abuse a brand new motor.

only the U.S has the 4,000rpm limit, ROW doesn't. go figure
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 4000 rpm limit has something to do with the keyfob activated top, i guess.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, took a road trip to Sarasota on my first day with the car. Almost 600 miles on it now.

I'll post pics in a separate thread. What a great car!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolet
It was on a spyder.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolet
Originally Posted by khooni
It was on a spyder.
Ha. I think cabriolet meant that the key-activated auto cab top function of 981s is not available in the US. So, in the US: no auto top and 4k RPM limit. Europe: auto top and "drive sensibly" or something to that effect!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Scheduled to take delivery today and was wondering what the consensus is here on the break-in period for our 981's? Has everyone followed the 4K RPM advice for the first 2000 miles?!?

Seems harsh on the driver
If Porsche recommends a 2K break-in with a limit of 4K RPMs, why are you looking for a way to escape their recommendation? Because it's "harsh"? What am I missing?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
If Porsche recommends a 2K break-in with a limit of 4K RPMs, why are you looking for a way to escape their recommendation? Because it's "harsh"? What am I missing?
Because Porsche refuses to explain why US cars are best broken in by driving under 4200 RPM for 2000 miles, while identical cars sold in the rest of the world are magically free of any RPM limits during break-in.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm just a rebel, I guess.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Because Porsche refuses to explain why US cars are best broken in by driving under 4200 RPM for 2000 miles, while identical cars sold in the rest of the world are magically free of any RPM limits during break-in.
Really? I never knew that! That is interesting. Thanks for the tidbit.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

No matter what school of 'break in' you belong to, either the "drive it like you stole it" school or the "drive it like your grandma" school, the most important thing is this - do not put any undue stress on the engine until the oil is up to operating temperature. And don't start the car and let it sit there to 'warm up'. Start it up and drive. Once the oil reaches operating temperature, drive it as you see fit.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
No matter what school of 'break in' you belong to, either the "drive it like you stole it" school or the "drive it like your grandma" school, the most important thing is this - do not put any undue stress on the engine until the oil is up to operating temperature. And don't start the car and let it sit there to 'warm up'. Start it up and drive. Once the oil reaches operating temperature, drive it as you see fit.
You've just touched on the one Porsche golden rule. Never run the engine, broken in or not, until the OIL temp is up to its proper level. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Because in the USA cars must meet/adhere to emissions limits for up to 7 years and 80K miles or the factory can be liable.

Furthermore the EPA constantly brings in privately owned used cars -- through various contractors -- to test for emissions compliance.

No automaker wants to have its fleet have an emissions problem even though its liability may have expired.

I note my 02 Boxster with now over 264K miles still passes CA emissions testing. There is a minor problem: One converter is weak but so far not weak when the engine is being tested.

Thankfully the engine is still healthy and runs good and clean. A new converter I can afford. A new engine I can't afford. Well, I can but I don't want to have to buy a new engine or have this one "rebuilt".

Limiting the engine to under ~4K rpms for a few thousand miles given the engine has now covered over 250K miles is a small price to pay to have a car 11 years old with an original engine that still runs well and runs clean.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Because in the USA cars must meet/adhere to emissions limits for up to 7 years and 80K miles or the factory can be liable.
An interesting point. Is there any supporting evidence for it, though? I'm sure we can find stories from owners who thrashed their car from day 1 and now have 300,000 miles on their original engines and cats.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working an engine hard, as distinguished from thrashing it to death, could lead to ring, valve, guide/seat leakage, resulting in excess oil consumption, but (imho) nothing else. if so, you get oil in the exhaust and a failed smog test. but wouldn't that lead to a highly undesirable reputation for oil-burning, whether or not the government tests tailpipe emissions? that would argue for consistent breakin recommendations worldwide.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Furthermore the EPA constantly brings in privately owned used cars -- through various contractors -- to test for emissions compliance.

No automaker wants to have its fleet have an emissions problem even though its liability may have expired.

I note my 02 Boxster with now over 264K miles still passes CA emissions testing. There is a minor problem: One converter is weak but so far not weak when the engine is being tested.

Thankfully the engine is still healthy and runs good and clean. A new converter I can afford. A new engine I can't afford. Well, I can but I don't want to have to buy a new engine or have this one "rebuilt".

Limiting the engine to under ~4K rpms for a few thousand miles given the engine has now covered over 250K miles is a small price to pay to have a car 11 years old with an original engine that still runs well and runs clean.
nope.

You have no idea what your car would do if you ran it hard from day one. It might be just as good or better.

without a direct comparison, its just an anecdotal story.

Furthermore, you are arguing that your engine life is the result of your soft break in, which you really have no basis for.

Quick Reply: 981 Break-In Period