Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on a 981

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Advice on a 981

Hi, everyone. First time posting in the 981 Forum.

In the process of deciding which way to go on my new P-car and thought I would come over here for some advice.

I'm currently in a 2010 GT3 and have decided to take a break from the hard core DE scene and get a car that is a little more "drivable" around town.

In your opinion, what are the can't live without options on the 981? I'll start - its gotta be an S. As far as colors go, it will be either silver or white with the red interior/top.

Looking forward to your comments!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Pasm or Sport Suspension. The wheel wells are just too big for my tastes, and so both lower the ride height.

That's about it really. PDK or Manual is a personal preference, colors and leather are the same. Oh ok thought of 2 more.

2) Colored wheel caps
3) Porsche crest on headrests

Done.

Nav, sound, all that stuff are stupid on a car like this unless you are going to be doing a lot of worthless driving (long commutes, etc).
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Performance-wise I would have to say that I cannot discern enough of a difference between the exhaust note with and without the sport exhaust button on to warrant that option. But it's a moot point if you order the car with sport-plus, I believe.

Interior advice I would offer IF YOU OPT FOR TWO-TONE: I have agate/pebble, and I had to spend money to replace the pebble console cover with agate leather. In my opinion it really should have come that way. Also, if I had it to do over again, I would have ordered my same car with agate carpeting, instead of pebble. Just makes more sense to me. The pebble is VERY light in color.

That's about it. I have a boatload of options on my S, but other than the deletion of model designation, it's hard to identify the ones I "can't live without."
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a 981S to a 7.2 GT3 ..

Set out below is a short compare and contrast between the two which I previously posted:

"981S is incredibly agile, and easy to drive. You point, it goes. It does most things well, without asking much, if anything. Mine didn't have PASM. It was a bit loose and unsettled in high speed corners .. so much so that I scraped the winglet in front of the front wheels. It felt rattled.

For me, the experience was too similar to the 987S .. much better in all respects, but the same.

GT3 is on another planet .. the chassis, while more lively, is utterly unbelievable. There's no appreciable body roll, looseness or lack of traction at speeds far beyond the 981S can manage. It's so confidence inspiring, yet a little bit scary .. simply because I'm not used to rear engined antics.

981S's steering is superb: pin point accurate, well weighted and effortless. It's too perfect if anything. It's a like picture that has been photo shopped to perfection. GT3's steering is like being where the camera was that took the picture that was photoshopped to perfection ..

For me, moving from 981S to GT3 is a bit like swimming in pool and then leaping off a yacht moored in the Ocean."

And this is what I posted about why I moved from the 981S:

"Truth be told, I should never have bought a 981S ..

The 981S is a really fantastic car in almost all respects. Compared to the 987.1 I had, the 981S is signicantly improved in all (in some, dramatically improved) areas. It's so easy to drive, it does everything so well and it also looks pretty good too. It asks virtually nothing of you.

I have had a GT3 itch for about 16 months, ever since I drove one in June 11. I bought a 981S because I thought it would be enough of a Porsche for me, that my GT3 itch would subside and go away. Much of this thinking was to do with being "sensible" and "responsible", financially speaking.

Deep down, I didn't fool myself. It's no good going to the same place for a holiday and staying in a much better hotel, when what you really want is to go somewhere else for a holiday. I have been too many times to the same place, and convinced myself that what I wanted was merely a better hotel. It wasn't.

In future, I will listen more to my heart than my head when cars are concerned. It's an addiction which is deeply entrenched in the psyche, and which I will listen to very carefully in future.

In essence, I want the rear engined experience, and of course the incredible GT3 engine. Once savoured, forever addicted."
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

owned a 997.2 GT3. As have stated before, there is no better sportscar.

but a bit demanding on the street and plain no-fun in traffic. Like a thoroughbred pulling the milk wagon.

Just got my 981 and have not wrung it out but can say it is far more "delicate" and light feeling. Have PDK and she's a kitten in traffic but is glued down on twists it seems.

Don't agree that the rift is that great as described above (swimming pool vs. ocean? gimme a break!), but not given to such breathless metaphors when it comes to cars.

Not sure why you would get sports suspension for the street, the car is very responsive to small changes and just lowering it an inch will lower your axes of rotation enough to make a substantial difference. That's likely the way I am going. Too rough a ride bums me out on the street.

Musts;

-14 way, or adaptive seats - where you plant your a$$ should be comfy, if it weighs a few more pounds, sobeit. You're not at Daytona

- Bose. Would have gotten a Burmeister if it was available

- Sport plus, but IMHO the sport exhaust doesn't add much and wastes $2250. You can get Plus without the exhaust

- Paddles if you like 'em. I'm fine with either

- heated seats unless you live South of Missouri. Makes those cool nights perfect

- 20" wheels, of course

- an "S", of course

otherwise, get whatever you like... just one man's opinion of course! It's a great car, not a snorting GT3, but unless you run at the track the GT3 is not optimal.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that the 981S needs to be compared to a GT3 and not 991/991S... This is hadly the first such discussion comparing the two.

Speaks volumes for what this car may ultimately be capable of if this is just the start point. Which probably means you'll never see that "all new" 991 GT3 engine in a 981 R.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

991 is a nice taxicab... or toaster if you like...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I'm beginning to get the sense of my perfect build.

Let's be clear, I don't really think there is a comparison of the two cars. The GT3 is, IMHO, the ultimate Porsche - no compromises.

The problem is that life is a compromise and the Boxster really fits my needs for right now. In the long run, I probably keep the Boxster and find a nicely sorted 996 Cup to play with. Best of both worlds
Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you selling the GT3? Seems like a good time. When demand is highest. Everyone else seems to think that condition is fixed.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

1.Sorry but I can't agree about sports exhaust. I strongly recommend that you drive a 981S with and without sports exhaust. To my ears anyway there's a huge differance in sound.
2. PASM is a must for the street. For the track I'd opt for sports suspension.
3. In my neck of the woods heated seats is a plus, so you go with the convenience package.
4. Take a good look at the sports steering wheel. If possible look at the normal wheel and compare it to the sports steering wheel on cars at your dealer's lot.
5. Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
6. Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest. No biggie but a nice touch.
7. I went with the standard 19" wheels , but the consensus seems to be to go with the 20s.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Never been a fan of noise for its own sake. If it doesn't add power, I don't like it. But to each their own, that's why it's an option.

Why is PASM a "must" for the street?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The options you select really comes down to what you want out of the car.

For example I bought a Spyder which is technically suppose to be bare bones and focused. I wanted a bit more luxury so I added full leather into it.

If I were picking a Boxster for the street I would likely pick the sport suspension since I personally like the way the Spyders suspension feels and I thought the 981 S didn't feel as connected. I would also get either sport buckets or sport heated seats, upgraded stereo, PSE and full leather. If I were going to keep it for a long time I would spring for a more exotic exterior color too
Old 02-23-2013, 12:06 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Never been a fan of noise for its own sake. If it doesn't add power, I don't like it. But to each their own, that's why it's an option.

Why is PASM a "must" for the street?

LOL You are the first to call Porsche sports exhaust noise; symphony is what everyone I know calls it. PASM is a must for two reasons: 1. It provides a softer setting for "normal" driving and a sports setting when you are in the mood for a spirited drive; and 2. Aesthetically the 981 requires lowering since the space between the tire and wheel well is too great. PASM lowers it by 10MM. I'd prefer the 20MM of sports suspension but the roads in my area don't permit it.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fast1
LOL You are the first to call Porsche sports exhaust noise; symphony is what everyone I know calls it. PASM is a must for two reasons: 1. It provides a softer setting for "normal" driving and a sports setting when you are in the mood for a spirited drive; and 2. Aesthetically the 981 requires lowering since the space between the tire and wheel well is too great. PASM lowers it by 10MM. I'd prefer the 20MM of sports suspension but the roads in my area don't permit it.
I see

Well one's man symphony is another man's noise I guess

I'm lowering mine 20-25mm permanently anyway because of the look and feel. But I'll tell you what; there is no way in hell street driving is going to need this car in anything but stock condition. The limits of this car, stock suspension, no PASM are well above the skill level of the overwhelming majority of drivers.

Put a good driver in one and I'll give most a GT3 and 2 sec/lap on a technical track and they'll still lose. And there's no place on the street where you can safely exploit it's limits, stock or lowered. You don't need PASM for "spirited driving", you just need skill.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Hi, everyone. First time posting in the 981 Forum.

In the process of deciding which way to go on my new P-car and thought I would come over here for some advice.

I'm currently in a 2010 GT3 and have decided to take a break from the hard core DE scene and get a car that is a little more "drivable" around town.

In your opinion, what are the can't live without options on the 981? I'll start - its gotta be an S. As far as colors go, it will be either silver or white with the red interior/top.

Looking forward to your comments!
My two cents is the car has to have auto climate control. This is set and forget and with variable displacement compressor about as fuel efficient an A/C as you could wish for.

Around town driving? I would shun 20" and even 19" wheels/tires if possible and go with 18" wheel/tires.

Even those deliver a harsh ride around town unless you drive in an area with billiard table smooth streets.

Also around town tire punctures will likely be an issue and you have to consider tire replacement cost and even availability.

Since I started using my Turbo to chauffeur my parents to their doctor appointments I've had two flats. One in July then another in one of the placement tires just this last Dec. This last flat while the tire with the nail was replaced for free (road hazard coverage) I had to replace an otherwise serviceable left rear tire because the tire wear differences between the new and used tires was too great. $500 for one tire.

Since I venture out of suburban areas in my Turbo where one really can experience the absence of street and and business lighting and deal with true nighttime driving -- dark as the inside of a cow dark -- I like the bi-xenon headlights.

I am not a fan of additional exhaust noise. Since I spend so much time in my cars any extra noise becomes a torture and the stock exhaust system emits plenty exhaust noise for my taste.

I do not like heated seats but the women who I know do so if you carry a female passenger a lot consider her needs/wants.

Fancy stereo systems are not my thing. I like my cars for their peace and quiet away from the turmoil of the office and home so I seldom use the radio for anything other than traffic reports on AM. Even then I mute the radio between traffic reports.

I'm sure the car comes with these but to be sure: cruise control; on-board computer; variable wipers; traction control/stability control.

Quick Reply: Advice on a 981