Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
I also drove a base PDK boxer while my GT3 was in for service. The auto start is terrible and I predict it will be removed shortly. On the PDK when you come to a stop the engine shuts down. When you let off the brake it restarts. I need to briskly cross a busy highway, i move up to get ready to cross and the engine engine stops. Now I need to go quickly and it coughed during a restart and I was almost in an accident. This auto start feature is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I bet they eliminate this feature before the model year is over. I can't imagine an engine that restarts after every stop will last long. I am sure starter motor will be wear item as well. The car has a bunch of price point plastic interior and exterior parts as well. Not impressed
If you look at the display in the dash, when the engine shuts off there is an "A" symbol that appears. There is a button with the same symbol on the center console. Push it and the auto-start feature is completely disabled all the time. It even stays off if you turn the car off and on. So at least it is completely defeatable. I did scroll through all the computer menu options and did not find any place where you could disable it separately. I suspect the dealers have the ability to permanently disable this function.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I am not a fan of the stop-start. I just don't like the stuttering and its need in a Porsche, i.e. not a Toyota! However, I do not get your post. How does it create more air pollution? More engine wear? Uhh, no. Someone else commented about the starter. They have much beefier starters and your (general) concerns have already been accounted and engineered for.

If you're concerned about someone else driving your car and having a close call, maybe you should warn them before you give 'em the key? As for 'almost getting into an accident because the engine semi-stalled', I'm sorry... but it sounds like you pulled out onto a highway when you should NOT have!

If an accident-waiting-to-happen depended on a split-second stutter, you actually pulled out and probably cut someone off!! Puhleez... I've driven 3 or 4 Porsches with stop-start (2 or more Panameras, one 981S). Trust me. You tried to gun it and ended up cutting someone off (which I hate, may I add). If there had been an accident, whose fault do you think it would've been (whether or not that's how an insurance sees it)?????
Vetman,

Relax, stop being such a tool. According to you I need to remind everyone, family members, friends, whoever to disable the autostart before driving the car, otherwise it's my fault if i don't. As to your comment on a split second engine stutter, jumping out in traffic, this again was my fault for probably cutting someone else off. You were not there, not in the car, not in the State, so it's best to pass on your non-fact comment. On other issues, all engines create more air pollution when first started due to cold/hot transition that does not allow for correct air/fuel ratios. Exhaust cats also require hot exhaust gas to function properly, they don't work at all on start up gas temps. Last, most engine wear occurs at start-up when there is no oil pressure and no film protection, this is well documented. Let's see how long autostart feature lasts, much like well-engineered wheel centerlocks...

Last edited by MarkG123; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
Vetman,

Relax, stop being such a tool. ... all engines create more air pollution when first started due to cold/hot transition that does not allow for correct air/fuel ratios. Exhaust cats also require hot exhaust gas to function properly, they don't work at all on start up gas temps. Last, most engine wear occurs at start-up when there is no oil pressure and no film protection, this is well documented. Let's see how long autostart feature lasts, much like well-engineered wheel centerlocks...
Uh, yeah, thanks for the name-calling. Was I too harsh in the last post? Apparently so.

What you said about cold-hot transitions, cold cats, lack of lubrication, and these being well documented are all true. However, they apply to when the car's been sitting for at least a few hours, not stop-start. After 5-20 seconds of shutoff, there's no cold-hot transition, cats are still hot as heck, and cylinders are still well-oiled.

The point is that stop-start works in short bursts, 1 minute at the most in those longest-red lights-ever scenarios. Believe me, I ain't no fan of stop-start either. If they ever get rid of it, I'll be right there with you in celebration. However, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. It's already becoming a standard in Europe.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3

Push it and the auto-start feature is completely disabled all the time. It even stays off if you turn the car off and on. So at least it is completely defeatable.
not the case in the EU.

stop/start reactivated each time car is re started.

in the 4500 miles I drove in my 981S, I never once thought that the stop/start function intervened with driving in town. In fact, it's operation is seamless and extremely efficient.

As soon as you depress the clutch, the engine is started .. there never was any danger of stalling or cutting out.

I turned off stop/start during the 1st 15 minutes of each journey to allow the car to warm properly.

I enjoyed hearing the car start each time too
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
As soon as you depress the clutch, the engine is started .. there never was any danger of stalling or cutting out.
How does it work in automatic transmission cars?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VGM911
How does it work in automatic transmission cars?
engine starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sfo
in the 4500 miles I drove in my 981S, I never once thought that the stop/start function intervened with driving in town. In fact, it's operation is seamless and extremely efficient.

Oops, I'm sorry - I was indeed talking about PDK and gunning it as soon as the light turns green.

Driving a PDK with stop-start, it can be jerky if you take the foot off of the brake then immediately gun the throttle in an 'enthusiastic' manner. It won't stall - it's just jerky and hesitant for a split second. And speaking of "well documented" mentioned in a prior post, for the record this behavior in PDK stop-start is also well documented in reviews!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Oops, I'm sorry - I was indeed talking about PDK and gunning it as soon as the light turns green.
if you're driving in that fashion, you are likely to have Sport or Sport Plus turned, either of which disables stop/start
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sfo
if you're driving in that fashion, you are likely to have Sport or Sport Plus turned, either of which disables stop/start
Good point.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

I am not sure exactly how the start/stop feature works with Porsche. However, if it's like the system in the Mercedes SLK55, it does not use the starter motor.

With the Mercedes system, the engine management computer takes note of which cylinder is at or just past the top dead center position. As the engine is a DFI engine, that cylinder has it's gas/air mixture compressed and ready to ignite. Once the system detects either movement of the steering wheel or the slightest release of brake pressure (or clutch movement with a manual), it sends a spark to the compressed cylinder, starting the engine. It starts instantly without any hesitation or shudder. No added gas used for the restart and no starter motor used.

I can only hope the Porsche system is as elegant.

In any event, there is a 'disable' button.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
However, if it's like the system in the Mercedes SLK55, it does not use the starter motor.

No added gas used for the restart and no starter motor used.

I can only hope the Porsche system is as elegant.
For better or worse, Porsche system is different. So is BMW's and Honda or Toyota's (can't remember which). One of the car mags did a brief comparo (what it is, pros, cons) of different start-stop systems in Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and Japanese brand a few months back. IIRC, their opinion was that Porsche's system was best - though I could be wrong about this.

p.s. Sorry for going further off-topic, but Bill.. did you sell the SLK? Don't see it in your signature anymore!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
not the case in the EU.

stop/start reactivated each time car is re started.

I turned off stop/start during the 1st 15 minutes of each journey to allow the car to warm properly.

I enjoyed hearing the car start each time too
So, on a manual, if you just leave the clutch pressed in, start/stop is never activated?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
So, on a manual, if you just leave the clutch pressed in, start/stop is never activated?
correct .. easier to just push a button though to turn it off
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the base Boxster had non-electric steering you'd have less a of a problem with the power. The extra power of the S just does a better job of masking the limitations of a car that has been made to go faster by relying less on the driver. The closer a mortal driver can get to a N-ring time, true of any modern Porsche, the "faster it feels" and the more cars they will sell.

Having a roadster with under 300 HP is not disappointing so as long as the feed back is as tight as the suspension. Look at the TC Klein Boxster Spyder, no engine mods, and its lapping quicker than a modified 997 GT3 at LS. 550 Spyder all over again....It wasn't the 15 extra HP over the 300 HP mark that made the difference.

As long as HP, for a car at this weight with reduced understeer, is at least ~250 HP, it loses nothing off braking/out of slow corners. Less power and it goes flat (still workable though, just doesn't "come alive" out of corners) and too much more power and the car is doing enough of the work/covering errors, that its not really a roadster experience anymore. That middle ground is simply a different type of driving experience that is hard to appreciate nowadays since even V6 Honda Accords come with more power than an air-cooled Carrera typically had.

p.s.
eagerly looking forward to an RS 981. IMHO, That S and base have too much **** inside the cabin. "entire Panamera/991 center console" delete option?

or something like on the GP edition Lotus Evora

Last edited by perfectlap; 02-05-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
engine starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal
Thank-you!

Quick Reply: GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions