Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R v. 981 v. 991 v. others in Autocar BBDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
914v2.0
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman R v. 981 v. 991 v. others in Autocar BBDC

Good to see a comparison of these

Old 10-27-2012, 10:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

It's interesting that the reviewer compared the hydraulic steering system in the Cayman R to the electric steering system in the 981S, and concluded that the former provided better feedback to the driver. To the best of my knowledge the steering systems in both cars is identical. The only differance is that in a 987 the steering power assist is provided by a hydraulic pump driven by a belt off of the crankshaft whereas the power assist on the 981 is provided by an electric motor. I don't believe the power assist methodology should in any way affect steering feedback.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
It's interesting that the reviewer compared the hydraulic steering system in the Cayman R to the electric steering system in the 981S, and concluded that the former provided better feedback to the driver. To the best of my knowledge the steering systems in both cars is identical. The only differance is that in a 987 the steering power assist is provided by a hydraulic pump driven by a belt off of the crankshaft whereas the power assist on the 981 is provided by an electric motor. I don't believe the power assist methodology should in any way affect steering feedback.
It's very possible that the mild changes made to the 981 chassis have resulted in a mild change in steering feel. The 987 has an abundance of steering feel, I've never felt anything quite like it to be honest. It wakes up your senses and really tunes you into what the car is doing. It also inspires confidence to do things you normally wouldn't for fear of losing control. Maybe the slightly longer wheelbase in the 981 dampens some of this?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

wait a sec... have you test driven one?

they are indeed different, You no longer get the granular wriggly steering on a 981/991. no loss in accuracy but definitely a loss in feel. At least on normal road conditions, I haven't driven a 981 on track so I dun know how it reacts under slip but heck, the difference is immediately observable if you are looking for it. Does it make you a lesser driver? I don't think so but feel does give more confidence and sometimes that matters.

Quick Reply: Cayman R v. 981 v. 991 v. others in Autocar BBDC