Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono or PASM + PTV on 2013 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

A buddy of mine once said that once you understand how to track a car, speeding on regular streets just seems stupid. I'd have to agree
The following users liked this post:
lottadot (02-15-2022)
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A comment about beige interior: the sun's glare off of the beige dashboard onto the windshield is for me nearly intolerable. I drove a beige interior 991 that I was interested in but the glare of the beige interior was a deal breaker !
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can now order bi colour black/beige interior on 991
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
A comment about beige interior: the sun's glare off of the beige dashboard onto the windshield is for me nearly intolerable. I drove a beige interior 991 that I was interested in but the glare of the beige interior was a deal breaker !
Thanks for sharing. I was considering a gray interior.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterHopeful
Have since changed my build. Decided to go with Aqua Blue/Luxor Beige with a blue top. I'm going for 9% off MSRP!

Seriously doubt you will get 9% off MSRP! But if you do let me know who that dealer is as I will be ordering my next car from them.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hmmm... No LSD without PTV is a problem... :-(
All Boxster's come standard with "Antislip Regulation." This sounds like LSD to me? Maybe the LSD you get with PTV is more refined, but all Boxsters have Antislip.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
All Boxster's come standard with "Antislip Regulation." This sounds like LSD to me? Maybe the LSD you get with PTV is more refined, but all Boxsters have Antislip.
that's traction control, not LSD
Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by sfo
that's traction control, not LSD
Whats the difference?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

TC uses brakes, LSD is mechanical with a differential
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by sfo
TC uses brakes, LSD is mechanical with a differential
Got it. If that's the case it's the same system as my Toyota Tacoma. I had mechanical LSD on my Dodge Dakota. The brake Anti-spin on the Toyota works much better. The mechanical LSD will not work unless both wheels can get some traction, brake anti-spin does not require both wheels to have traction.

If this is what the Porsche is using I see no reason why that it wouldn't work as well as a mechanical LSD? The Toyota is clearly better, so why would I need/want a mechanical system on the Porsche. From what I have read most manufactors are going to the brake system.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Seriously doubt you will get 9% off MSRP! But if you do let me know who that dealer is as I will be ordering my next car from them.
Since the differance between dealer cost and MSRP is around 10.5%, I don't think you'll find many dealers willing to give 9% discounts, but if there is one please let us all know.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Got it. If that's the case it's the same system as my Toyota Tacoma. I had mechanical LSD on my Dodge Dakota.
Porsches already have Traction Control built in... and some models have, or can be ordered with, LSD. LSD is very useful when you're powering out of tight corners or when you're threashold/ABS braking (LSD will eliminate the backend squirreling).

Two different systems for two different situations.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Since the differance between dealer cost and MSRP is around 10.5%.
I've recently heard from a dealer that the margin is 9.96 (or 9.98)%.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Got it. If that's the case it's the same system as my Toyota Tacoma. I had mechanical LSD on my Dodge Dakota. The brake Anti-spin on the Toyota works much better. The mechanical LSD will not work unless both wheels can get some traction, brake anti-spin does not require both wheels to have traction.

If this is what the Porsche is using I see no reason why that it wouldn't work as well as a mechanical LSD? The Toyota is clearly better, so why would I need/want a mechanical system on the Porsche. From what I have read most manufactors are going to the brake system.
? I don't think you're getting it. Trying to compare traction control (PSM) to a LSD is comparing apples and oranges. They are designed for two different purposes. LSD is designed to gain traction out of a corner by transferring power to the side that has more grip. Traction control is designed to bring a car back under control that has lost traction. LSD will lower your lap time when it is active. Traction control/PSM will increase your lap time when active because it is trying to save you from calamity.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono or PASM + PTV on 2013 Boxster?