Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster criticism

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Boxster criticism

I've read all of the positive observations made about the Boxster, and I agree with them all. There is however one glaring shortcoming: 255HP. It's very disappointing that a mid $60K car, and that's what most are listing for if you do a search on cars.com, has only 255HP. Even appliances like a Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and Honda Accord offer 270HP engines, and the $25K for a Camry is only a few thousand more than the option price on many of the Boxsters on Dealers lots.

I know that Porsche has always been concerned about Boxster sales cannabalizing their 911 sales, but after all of these years I believe that each car should be able to stand on its own merits. A $60K+ sports car should have at least 300HP, and not mid 200s.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This topic is nearly as bad as talking about politics.

I agree by the way, not only should the Boxster have more HP, so should the Boxster S and any future Spyders.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
fast1
Race Car

I agree by the way, not only should the Boxster have more HP, so should the Boxster S and any future Spyders.

A nice spread would be 300HP for the Boxster, and 345HP for the S. Can you imagine the Spyder with 400HP? Of course I have no idea what that HP increase would do to the sales of the 991, but it would probably be bad. Therefore, it will never happen.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I could manage as much hp as my Boxster could get to the ground, I find that the stock hp is quite adequate for its stock performance envelope. Once you begin upping the power, you must start modifying many other systems to keep the entire package within the same level of "user friendly" performance.

The family sedans you listed, that have more rated hp, do not offer the handling balance or precision that Porsche delivers with all of their performance cars, especially the Boxster and even with that hp advantage, will lose out to the (base Boxster, of the same model year) on every performance test, including 0-60mph acceleration.

Porsche performance is worth that premium to me.
-
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
boxster-r
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
A $60K+ sports car should have at least 300HP, and not mid 200s.

A sports car maybe should, but Porsche don't care. Porsche is still alive, Artega is gone out of business today. Even with more horse power.

320hp in a 987.2 Spyder is close to the limit for masses anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
Although I could manage as much hp as my Boxster could get to the ground, I find that the stock hp is quite adequate for its stock performance envelope. Once you begin upping the power, you must start modifying many other systems to keep the entire package within the same level of "user friendly" performance.

The family sedans you listed, that have more rated hp, do not offer the handling balance or precision that Porsche delivers with all of their performance cars, especially the Boxster and even with that hp advantage, will lose out to the (base Boxster, of the same model year) on every performance test, including 0-60mph acceleration.

Porsche performance is worth that premium to me.
-
"Adequate" was exactly the word that I used to describe the 981 in the summary of my driving impressions of the 981, but don't you think some one paying $65K+ for a Boxster should get better than adequate? There are many who frequent this forum who have far more expertise than I, but I expect that the Boxster could handle an extra 45 HP with its current setup.
As to the comparison with the inexpensive sedans, of course the Boxster will out handle and accelerate a $25K Camry. Imagine how embarassing it would be for a Camry to out accelerate a Boxster.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by boxster-r
A sports car maybe should, but Porsche don't care. Porsche is still alive, Artega is gone out of business today. Even with more horse power.

320hp in a 987.2 Spyder is close to the limit for masses anyway.
Although I only know 2 Spyder owners, they are both track junkies and I expect that a larger percentage of Spyder owners track their cars than 911 owners with the exception of the GT2,3 series. My expectation is that Spyder owners would love the challenge of mastering a 400HP Spyder on the track.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I don't track my Spyder but I will readily admit that it could use an additional 20 - 30 Hp, especially in the lower RPM's (below 5000).

But it is still more than plenty to get the adrenaline pumping!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...but don't you think some one paying $65K+ for a Boxster should get better than adequate? There are many who frequent this forum who have far more expertise than I, but I expect that the Boxster could handle an extra 45 HP with its current setup.
Price is not the issue and that is what Porsche figured out over 40 years ago. You can buy a lot more horsepower and acceleration for less money with the Corvette but there are "those" differences that push a consumer one way or the other. Whatever "those" are depends on the person and can take up 6k pages on a forum like this.

I am no genius, by any stretch and don't claim to fully understand how Porsche comes up with their magical cars but I do know this...since I can remember, the mere sight of a Porsche stirs "something" inside me and makes me feel like I did when I kissed my first girlfriend for the first time...

...well, except for the Cayenne.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Yes, there is something magical about Porsche handling. It would still be magical with more hp. For the price, the Boxster and Cayman should have more. Why can't the 'S' versions be tuned the same as the base Carrera? It's the same 3.4l engine - the output should be the same 350hp.

For example, the TT-RS has more hp and is slightly faster in a straight line. However, the Cayman R is faster around the track and handles much better.

The R8 4.2 has 100 more hp than the Cayman R and the acceleration and handling are very similar. Part of that is due to weight, but part has to be related to the CR suspension.

I see a wrecked R8 4.2 for sale as a parts car. Imagine the Cayman R with a 4.2l 430hp V8!! Wonder if it will fit?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
Price is not the issue and that is what Porsche figured out over 40 years ago. You can buy a lot more horsepower and acceleration for less money with the Corvette but there are "those" differences that push a consumer one way or the other. Whatever "those" are depends on the person and can take up 6k pages on a forum like this.

I am no genius, by any stretch and don't claim to fully understand how Porsche comes up with their magical cars but I do know this...since I can remember, the mere sight of a Porsche stirs "something" inside me and makes me feel like I did when I kissed my first girlfriend for the first time...

...well, except for the Cayenne.
I agree but is it wrong to ask for a little more? I certainly have no insights into Porsche's financials, but I have to believe that the reason that the Boxster is short changed on HP is not because of significantly added costs. They just want to maintain that HP differential between the Boxster and 997.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Yes, there is something magical about Porsche handling. It would still be magical with more hp. For the price, the Boxster and Cayman should have more. Why can't the 'S' versions be tuned the same as the base Carrera? It's the same 3.4l engine - the output should be the same 350hp.

For example, the TT-RS has more hp and is slightly faster in a straight line. However, the Cayman R is faster around the track and handles much better.

The R8 4.2 has 100 more hp than the Cayman R and the acceleration and handling are very similar. Part of that is due to weight, but part has to be related to the CR suspension.

I see a wrecked R8 4.2 for sale as a parts car. Imagine the Cayman R with a 4.2l 430hp V8!! Wonder if it will fit?
Bill - I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I agree but is it wrong to ask for a little more? I certainly have no insights into Porsche's financials, but I have to believe that the reason that the Boxster is short changed on HP is not because of significantly added costs. They just want to maintain that HP differential between the Boxster and 997.
Quite the opposite, rather than install the 2000 996 engine into the new for 2000 Boxster S, Porsche went to the extra expense of casting a different crankcase with a smaller cylinder bore to lose 200cc of displacement. The engines are virtually identical otherwise.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

IPD and Softronic will unleash power of 981...Just a matter of time! They are working on tuning now.

And as said above, Porsche has to do something to keep 991 king, but the design team of the 981 has really produced a car that can run with the big boys...But retains the same 'Boxster' name.

I don't plunk down big coin unless there is a game changer. The 981 is exactly that!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 991 is not just a Boxster with more HP, they are quite different cars, with different demographics interested in them (since the 991 cab is double the cost of the boxster). I agree that Porsche should let the Boxster run loose from the stables as I think canabilization will be minimal.... But, the HP gap will never be closed by Porsche... perfect example my 14 year old 996 (boring old normally aspirated base 3.4 C2) still has more horse power than the NEW 981. One would expect that after that length of time, the gap would be closed ! The Boxster is a great car, and the 981 is light years ahead of its predecessor..... I think if you want more HP, then begin the mods !..

or get a 2012 5.0L Mustang with 440HP for half the price of the Boxster (please don't .. this is just and example to demonstrate how HP is only part of how you measure the car)

Quick Reply: Boxster criticism