Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 discounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 discounts

For those of you who have ordered the 981, how much or what percentage off msrp were you able to get??? Our dealerships in the DC area appear to be asking for full msrp. Thanks in advance for the infor....
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Expand your search. Buy out of state. When I purchsed my 2006 Boxster in 2005 the 987 was just coming out after the 986 series. Local dealership wanted full MSRP. I did a custom ordered car with a Dayton, OH dealership who had an open build allocation for a March 2006 delivery. It was perfect for my timing (want it for spring). Car was about $67. I negitiated a 9-10% discount.

The 981 will be a pretty hot car. So discounts may not be to easy to find in the first model year.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe later on in the year when the masses start hitting dealer lots, you may be able to haggle some % off, but if you want one personalized for you, I doubt it will happen unless you are tight with the dealer.

I recieved a generous trade in on my '01 S and tax help when ordering my '13 S, but I am going to tell you that these new 981's are expensive when properly optioned. Mine clicked in just over 90k...
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I was able to get a decent discount when ordering my Spyder which had very limited allocations. I agree that expanding your search out of state may net better results. It's a little more hassle but can save you several thousand off msrp.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Here's my .02 on allocation discounts...

I have a friend who works for the distributor that imports P-cars into the US. He has the dream job. Being nameless, I can say we have had numerous discussions about discounts because like all of you, I hate and hardly ever pay retail. And when wanting to place my order on my new S, I wanted to see if we could cut a deal.

What would you say if I told you he can purchase any P-car for 20% off, regardless of options?? Pretty nice eh?

BUT...there is a downside...He has to write the check and there are strings attached with regard to resell, so after hearing all that and going from "hell yeah, I'll take the 20% off a 90k car, plus trade in, plus some cash down payment" and I'm golden to hearing the strings attached, which I cannot talk about publicly, it made come back to reality quick.

So in a nutshell, that should tell you something about the retail mark-up on these P-cars. I'll bet the reality of it is that invoice has to be something like 35%+ off retail, which is pretty strong.

For example....Take note of this site below. I've been watching the first car on their list (black 997 S cab) for months now. It started over 110k and now look where it is? 89k....And if they sell it for what they currently are asking, they are still going to make money even after taking 22k off...See below.

http://autobahn-porsche.ebizautos.co...Status=3,2,4,5

Problem with Porsche is that they are so damn addictive, it's insane. And addicts like me will pay... I did get some nice trade in and tax incentives which further reduced my exposure. I wanted to deal locally as I WILL get better service than buying out of state. And to further the pot, they threw in a bunch of novelty items and also registered me for a Skip Barber driving event, at no cost to me other than a hotel and gas getting down to Birmingham.

So all in all, I felt good about my purchasing experience, but if I had only known Porsche was going to release the PSE and some other items prior to July, I would have taken the first of two allocations and stuck with May rather than end of August builds.

If you guys can get discounted allocations on 981's, then that is outstanding, but I think these cars are just a different breed than the 987's as like Afshin, I shopped and almost purchased a Spyder with discounts, but just could not get over the manual top and my distributor buddy kept telling me to wait for a new Boxster that basically only shares the name, but can quickly out do one of the outgoing models. So here I am, in waiting mode and it's killing me....

Last edited by jwade; 06-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is anybody besides me bothered by the electronic steering?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Evo says its OK.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Going tp place my order today. My dealer has a July allocation with August delivery. I have bought a lot of cars from this dealer and while he told me they have been getting retail for the 981 he said they would "work" with me on the price. I'll update later on what that means.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

electric steering is not ok imo.

steering feedback is a wondorus thing that needs to be improved on in further iterations.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by khooni
electric steering is not ok imo.

steering feedback is a wondorus thing that needs to be improved on in further iterations.
Electronic assist steering--not full electronic steering. There is still feedback.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I am in the business, and let me chime in.

There could be so much wrong info on the forums and the web. Somebody always bring up a "stealer" story, and someone always know someone who got $xxxxx discount.

Here is the reality, generally, Porsche has about 10% markup in what we called in the business, front end gross. That is the amount between MSRP (sticker), and invoice. Those prices are determined by PCNA. PCNA sells the cars to their franchaised dealers at invoice. Dealer pays PCNA when the car is stocked, often floorplaned. So a car that has a MSRP of $100k, the dealer owns it for $90k.

As the car aged, PCNA would come up with more money, known as trunk money, dealer cash, rebates, etc. Which effectively lowers the bottomline. There may or maynot be stipulations on it. Such as, must financed, must be deliverd by... etc. Truck money usually are not apply to cars that has to be ordered. As it is designed as a "move the units now" incentives. So for example, PCNA might come up with a rebate of $5000 for the month of June on all model year 2012s. So now, the dealer owns that car for $85k. But if you are planning to order one, the bottomline is still $90k.

Then theres is hold back. The dirty word in car biz. Once the car is sold, dealers get extra money from PCNA. PCNA or dealers do not disclose that amount. But I'll have to guess between 5 to 10%. Rarely would a dealer give that up to the consumers. The idea is that if the sales deparment fail to retain any profit, there is still another layer to keep the dealer afloat.

NOT EVERY dealer gets hold back. Hold back is usually tied to a very very strict franchaise agreement, such as facility, brand identity, training, customer satifaction, market share, could be anything. In 2008 and 2009, 2400 dealerships closed in the US, it is safe to assume that the dealers that are still standing, are "certified", "compliance met" dealerships.

Unless you are a CFO for a dealer, or the dealer yourself, it is hard to tell what the hold back amount is. Some manufacturer have a very structured hold back program, such as Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers. So structured to the point that some websites can almost guess that amount with pretty good acurracy.

Some manufactures have very loose hold back programs, can be paid monthly sometime, then switched to quarterly, etc. That is usually the case with smaller volumed manufacturers, because they are adapting to supply and demand.

The only time you'll see hold back being given up is on aged inventory. Where the dealer has no more ability to sell that car.

Dealer to dealer swap is done at invoice.

If a dealer historically sells 10 cars a month, then came a fluke that they got 20 units allocated for the month, then you might see some price drop. But this is not likely with Porsche. They control the supply very well.

Just because the dealer is selling or advertising a certain car at a certain price , it does not always mean they are making a profit on every car they sell. With the age of internet and slow economy, more an more dealers are going into the red.

Near invoice pricing is very very rare. This is the premium segment. PCNA and its network of dealers are one of the most successful in the business. However, the guys who got the best deals generally brags the loudest, and most often. In reality, they could be exaggerated, false, and you can't really tell the whole story. People will always brag about how much they spent on a home, but always downplay the amount they spent on a car, especially on a lease payment. See it all the time.

Never, expect a dealer to give up huge gross for a Porsche. If I was looking at at new 981, I would be very happy with any discount.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Got 3% off on one of my dealers allocations. I was pretty happy with that as I don't think my dealer gets a lot of cars. I have bought two others P-Cars, two Volvo's and two Toyota's so that probably helped my case.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post ClintonM3! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

-B
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, sent you a PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

ClintonM3 - I'm not a Porsche salesman but I would be shocked if there is only a 10% differance between invoice and sticker.

Quick Reply: 981 discounts