Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 discounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Dealer invoice is 88-89% of MSRP on MOST Porsches. In other words 11-12% below MSRP. There are some exceptions to that. This is what I learned a while back from the GM of a dealership that lost their Porsche franchise. He had no reason to tell me a lie at that point.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I just went to truecar.com which shows Invoice and MSRP, and it confirms that the sticker price is around 11% over invoice for a base 911 coupe without options. I didn't price options, but they typically have a higher margin.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Dealer invoice is 88-89% of MSRP on MOST Porsches. In other words 11-12% below MSRP. There are some exceptions to that. This is what I learned a while back from the GM of a dealership that lost their Porsche franchise. He had no reason to tell me a lie at that point.
Originally Posted by fast1
I just went to truecar.com which shows Invoice and MSRP, and it confirms that the sticker price is around 11% over invoice for a base 911 coupe without options. I didn't price options, but they typically have a higher margin.
This is what I have been told as well. Dealers will typically take 5% off without too much effort and cars that sit longer may get bigger discounts as noted by Clinton
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10-12 % is actually one of the largest in the industry. My first hand experience is with BMW, our front end gross is only about 6.5 to 7.3 %. When I started over a decade ago, it was near 9%. Profit margin for the dealers are shrinking. Certain Japanese products, went from near 10% pre-tsunami, to about 5% post-tsunami, due to supply chain interruptions. The days of a "stealer" is just a bad cliche.

FYI, trucar.com is not a credible website for car shopping. Do a search on trucar and lawsuits. IMO trucar is after IPO money, by offering "over the top" and embellished info. They are yanking info off of dealer DMS system, with disregard of incentive and taxes stipulations.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
10-12 % is actually one of the largest in the industry. My first hand experience is with BMW, our front end gross is only about 6.5 to 7.3 %. When I started over a decade ago, it was near 9%. Profit margin for the dealers are shrinking. Certain Japanese products, went from near 10% pre-tsunami, to about 5% post-tsunami, due to supply chain interruptions. The days of a "stealer" is just a bad cliche.

FYI, trucar.com is not a credible website for car shopping. Do a search on trucar and lawsuits. IMO trucar is after IPO money, by offering "over the top" and embellished info. They are yanking info off of dealer DMS system, with disregard of incentive and taxes stipulations.
I don't know about the lawsuits, but truecar.com was very helpful when I was shopping for a new S5 for my wife. I was going to offer $1000 over invoice to a nearby Audi dealer, but I gave truecar a shot. Within an hour I received two offers from Audi Dealers that were $100 over invoice and $100 for documentation fees. I asked my nearby Dealer if they would match the offer and they did. Since the nearby Dealer was firm on their $200 documentation fee, they agreed to sell me a custom built S5 at invoice. I placed the order in February and my wife took delivery at the end of April. As an existing Audi owner, my wife also received a substantial owner loyalty discount. So truecar saved me a $1000, and it didn't cost me a penny for the service.

Quick Reply: 981 discounts