Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding the connector for front ride height sensor on X73 w/PDLS Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024 | 04:25 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Default Help finding the connector for front ride height sensor on X73 w/PDLS Boxster S

I could use some help finding the connector for front ride height sensor on PDLS and X73 equipped Boxster S.
I created this thread a few weeks back but wanted to start a new one without a typo in the subject:
Help identify what is missing in this photo- Boxster S X31 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

What I have is an empty bracket on the right front wheel. No sensor or wire harness anywhere to be found. Could someone who has PDLS show me where the wire harness enters the wheel arch so I can try and see if mine is just pulled back out of the way and hopefully not cut off or removed please? I bought a new height sensor, but there is nothing to connect it with.
After taking the car home, I found that the headlights were aimed way up, likely blinding all oncoming cars. I was able to manually adjust the headlight height by turning the adjustment screw to at least get the light cutoff at the proper height.
After inspecting all four wheels, I found that one of the rear wheels does have a seemingly working level sensor in place. I have read that PDLS cars should have one sensor on the front and one on the rear to function properly.
I initially thought having X73 might be the reason for no sensor but that doesn't make sense to me.
Any help here?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2024 | 07:45 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Not PDLS, that empty bracket is for PASM. As answered in your previous post.
Old 09-27-2024 | 03:56 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by toma nova
Not PDLS, that empty bracket is for PASM. As answered in your previous post.
Sorry, I never saw your reply and this issue is still open for me.
No, the question was not answered in my previous post. The bracket is for a level sensor which is used by both PASM and PDLS. Folks in that thread say there is supposed to be one in the front and one in the back for PDLS and one on all four wheels for PASM.
I have no idea if that is true, but I do know that there is an empty bracket that is supposed to hold a sensor. What I don't see is the pigtail connector or where it would even come from.
Perhaps the X73 deletes the front sensor, but the bracket still exists to hold the coolant pipe?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2024 | 07:07 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skidpalace
Sorry, I never saw your reply and this issue is still open for me.
No, the question was not answered in my previous post. The bracket is for a level sensor which is used by both PASM and PDLS. Folks in that thread say there is supposed to be one in the front and one in the back for PDLS and one on all four wheels for PASM.
I have no idea if that is true, but I do know that there is an empty bracket that is supposed to hold a sensor. What I don't see is the pigtail connector or where it would even come from.
Perhaps the X73 deletes the front sensor, but the bracket still exists to hold the coolant pipe?
Any help is appreciated.
It looks as though your question has been answered. PDLS only uses/needs 2 sensors. Those would be left side, front and rear, and they are wired to the headlights and front BCM. If the car has PASM, then all 4 corners will have a sensor and all are wired to the PASM control unit. That's what the wiring diagrams reveal.
Old 09-27-2024 | 07:51 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
It looks as though your question has been answered. PDLS only uses/needs 2 sensors. Those would be left side, front and rear, and they are wired to the headlights and front BCM. If the car has PASM, then all 4 corners will have a sensor and all are wired to the PASM control unit. That's what the wiring diagrams reveal.
OK, well that seems to somewhat jibe with other statements in that there are only two sensors for my vehicle. In my case it is left rear and front right, apparently. My question, however, was can anyone help with locating the connector. Although I have the empty bracket, I see no connector dangling. Perhaps someone pulled the wire back into the front clip somewhere? I have no idea where it emerges.
Old 09-27-2024 | 09:19 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Your car was never built with PASM so the factory would not have left a pigtail dangling. It either doesn’t exist or is tied back on the harness where nobody can (should) get to it.

You’ve got X73 with the correct PDLS sensors. Done.
Old 09-27-2024 | 11:17 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Your car was never built with PASM so the factory would not have left a pigtail dangling. It either doesn’t exist or is tied back on the harness where nobody can (should) get to it.

I really do appreciate you trying to help, but I'm pretty sure we have established that PDLS needs one sensor in the rear and one sensor in the front. My car has one sensor in the rear (left) and one empty sensor bracket in the front (right). Do you disagree that PDLS cars need a front sensor? Not sure how one sensor can determine vehicle level.
Old 09-28-2024 | 02:19 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Not so sure that is correct. I'm no expert but the wiring diagrams show left side front and rear for non-PASM cars. Jeff Richardson's 981 Boxster front end video shows a sensor on the left front and none on right front. I have PASM so no reference in my garage.
Old 09-28-2024 | 02:28 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

I really do appreciate you trying to help, but I'm pretty sure we have established that PDLS needs one sensor in the rear and one sensor in the front. My car has one sensor in the rear (left) and one empty sensor bracket in the front (right). Do you disagree that PDLS cars need a front sensor? Not sure how one sensor can determine vehicle level.
How much have you looked at the left front? Get the wheel off and give it a good look. I raised my Cayman on the QuikJack and took a few pics. Getting late here and will post tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2024 | 11:28 AM
skidpalace
Instructor

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
How much have you looked at the left front? Get the wheel off and give it a good look. I raised my Cayman on the QuikJack and took a few pics. Getting late here and will post tomorrow.
I've had all the wheels off and there are no brackets on the left front. No random wires dangling either. Strange.
Old 10-04-2024 | 07:33 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

I've had all the wheels off and there are no brackets on the left front. No random wires dangling either. Strange.
Did you resolve this? Sorry for the delay with photos. I took the front bottom cover off to see underneath but it's hard to see. There's one photo in the set from that viewpoint. The wires are in a black jacket with a white stripe, and travel up the side of the fuel tank off to never never land. Couldn't see anything better than these photos. Right side (I have PASM) was even more difficult as it disappeared almost immediately into spaces that hands don't fit.

Old 10-05-2024 | 08:06 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Thank you for the photos. No, I have not resolved the issue yet. These pics help. Odd, however that my empty bracket is on the front passenger wheel while your sensors are on the driver's side.
I will get underneath the car tomorrow and see if I can find that wire tucked away somewhere.

Quick Reply: Help finding the connector for front ride height sensor on X73 w/PDLS Boxster S