Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have replaced the head unit…

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 08:47 AM
softsand
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question For those who have replaced the head unit…

I’m considering replacing the PCM3.1 with a different unit.

My question is - as there are various car functions now shown on the PCM, is there any important functions/screens you lose when changing over that can’t be then done using the trip computer screen in the instrument binnacle ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been looking in to this as well, and I think the primary discrepancy is that you lose the factory TPMS. The aftermarket head units do have their own solution to this, but you have to replace the sensors with ones that the head unit can connect to.
Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

EDIT: See below. Thankfully this is incorrect!

This is how I am managing infotainment currently: https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...tegration.html

Last edited by Natural1; 07-17-2024 at 01:13 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 07-17-2024, 12:38 PM
softsand
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks !

Originally Posted by Natural1
I've been looking in to this as well, and I think the primary discrepancy is that you lose the factory TPMS. The aftermarket head units do have their own solution to this, but you have to replace the sensors with ones that the head unit can connect to.

This is how I am managing infotainment currently: https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...tegration.html
Oh, you lose TPMS ? - even though it shows on the RH instrument screen ? Haven't seen that mentioned... :-(
Old 07-17-2024, 12:47 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Natural1

If you have the factory TPMS it can still work and show up on the gauge cluster. I have installed the CHSTEK Android unit. The only items that I lost are the things that the head unit communicates to the digital gauge to the right of the tachometer. They are the radio station, phone connection, and navigation. All of those items will still work on the new head unit, they just won't show up on the gauge screen. My factory TPMS works just fine. You just need to get a unit that has the canbus with it. Not a standard aftermarket unit like Alpine or Sony. There are a few Android units out there that work well and look good.
Here is a LONG thread about them. You can jump ahead to page 158 if you don't want to read all day. A couple members even created a manual to help others with installation and setup.
Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1 - Page 158 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Here is a photo of my unit.

The following 2 users liked this post by boxdriver:
Natural1 (07-17-2024), softsand (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
If you have the factory TPMS it can still work and show up on the gauge cluster. I have installed the CHSTEK Android unit. The only items that I lost are the things that the head unit communicates to the digital gauge to the right of the tachometer. They are the radio station, phone connection, and navigation. All of those items will still work on the new head unit, they just won't show up on the gauge screen. My factory TPMS works just fine. You just need to get a unit that has the canbus with it. Not a standard aftermarket unit like Alpine or Sony. There are a few Android units out there that work well and look good.
Here is a LONG thread about them. You can jump ahead to page 158 if you don't want to read all day. A couple members even created a manual to help others with installation and setup.
Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1 - Page 158 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Thanks very much for clearing that up! I had gone through a lot of the thread you linked to a few weeks ago, and I thought I read that TPMS went away with the aftermarket units. This was the primary thing holding me back on these.

I will likely give the CHSTEK unit a shot. The physical buttons seem to be a better match with the interior.
Old 07-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 210 Posts

I assume you would lose the Sportschrono display, if your car is equipped with SC.
Old 07-17-2024, 03:25 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike981S
I assume you would lose the Sportschrono display, if your car is equipped with SC.
I don't know, I don't have SC, but I put the question out on the 991 thread, and I will post when I get an answer.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (07-22-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 07:30 PM
Kshaw
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it have an XM tuner?
Old 07-17-2024, 07:49 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kshaw
Does it have an XM tuner?
No, you would use the app on your phone via CarPlay or Android Auto for. Or you can install the app on the head unit itself but you would need to add cell service or connect to a hotspot on your phone. I listen to Sirius XM on CarPlay via my phone app.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:36 AM
Paul125
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by softsand
I’m considering replacing the PCM3.1 with a different unit.

My question is - as there are various car functions now shown on the PCM, is there any important functions/screens you lose when changing over that can’t be then done using the trip computer screen in the instrument binnacle ?

Thanks in advance.
I just replaced my head unit with the Kenwood DMX809S and added backup camera also. The trip computer screen in the instrument cluster still shows SC, TPMS, trip computer, etc. - the only features that no longer show up in the cluster are those that were linked to the PCM (i.e., radio info., phone, map/navi). The Kenwood is a touch screen and I really miss the volume **** from the PCM unit but am slowly getting used to the touch screen volume, but it's great to have full CarPlay functionality + the backup cam now. While the Kenwood is Sirius compatible, you need to add a separate tuner/antenna to it which I did not bother to since I can stream Sirius from my phone and see the graphics and change stations directly on the Kenwood unit vs just being able to stream Sirius via the PCM but without any other functionality on the PCM screen.

Last edited by Paul125; 07-18-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 09:04 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike981S
You do not lose the Sports Chrono display.
Old 07-20-2024, 01:46 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

@boxdriver How is the sound and display quality with the CHSTEK unit? Any audio, volume, static, or hissing issues? Any touchscreen issues, glitching, or crashes?
Old 07-21-2024, 05:35 PM
Kshaw
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How does it work with Bose systems?
Old 07-22-2024, 05:58 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
You do not lose the Sports Chrono display.
Thanks... are you referring to the small instrument cluster display or the one you have in the PCM? I was referring to the later. It normally shows you an outline of the line you are driving (somewhat useless) and the option to download the saved telemetry.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:32 PM
ktm981
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Fairly certain you lose the parking sensor display in an aftermarket HU. Why is this important? The parking sensors are FRONT and REAR and cover areas a camera does not address.

Quick Reply: For those who have replaced the head unit…