Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone/Tablet/Radar mounts and integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 03:31 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Phone/Tablet/Radar mounts and integration

Hi everyone,
I thought I would share my issues list and current solutions related to infotainment, phone mount, and radar detector integration with the 981. Hoping this will give others looking for similar solutions some ideas to work from…

Phone mount:
Needed a mount with wireless charging compatible with my Samsung S23, puts the phone in proper view, and also isn’t in the way of the cupholders, vents, or anything else.

Solution:
- Standard Rennline mount (just the mounting base and the aluminum ball)
- Angle bracket
- Charger:
Amazon Amazon
.Trust me, if you are running a recent Samsung phone, most of the wireless chargers advertised as compatible simply will not work. This one works perfectly, has a very strong magnet, and does not generate much heat.
- Mount does not interfere with the cupholders.
- Because this is essentially a “long arm attached to a small mount” it does wobble slightly under certain conditions, but it’s not bad at all. At some point I might see if I can “beef up” the mount - the mid/upper part of the charger arm needs a contact point (triangular). But honestly it really doesn’t bother me.

Power:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Radar detector mount:
- I have a Uniden R4 detector with Bluetooth capability (integrates with phone or tablet vi the Highway Radar app)
- Wanted a stealth mount that would get it out of the way and out of my vision, etc…

Solution:
- Mirror mount point (only used the clamp part):
Amazon Amazon
- Arm to mount the detector on (screws into the bottom of the mirror mount):
Amazon Amazon
- 3M dual lock to attach the detector to the arm:
Amazon Amazon
- Hardwire power (uses the 12v feed to the auto-dimming mirror):
Amazon Amazon

What you end up with is a detector that is tucked in behind the rear view mirror, but still accessible from the passenger seat if you ever need to get to the buttons/screen...

--------------------------------------------------------
Bluetooth Audio:
- Using the PCM internal Bluetooth for audio is very frustrating. When you turn the key, the PCM hasn’t had time to connect via Bluetooth, so it immediately (and stupidly) defaults back to FM radio, and at a much louder volume.
- If you use the 3.5mm aux input, it won’t default back to radio.
- This Bluetooth DAC works great. No alternator noise, good sound quality, connects reliably. Connected in the glove box and does it’s thing:
Amazon Amazon

Beyond that, I wanted to get away from using my phone for audio, Waze, and detector integration. I considered doing the Isudar Android Auto install within the PCM, but the more I looked into what Android Auto does (and what it can’t/doesn’t do), I decided that I really needed a stand-alone solution for my particular use case.

Tablet Integration:
- Cheap 8” Android 13 tablet with plenty of storage for all my mp3 albums:
Amazon Amazon
This particular tablet has no issues with polarized sunglasses in landscape mode. Make sure to remove the tear off screen protector that comes on it first.

- Anti-reflective screen cover:
Amazon Amazon
With this in place, visibility in all conditions is excellent.

- Tablet mount from T-Design: https://t-design9.com/tablet_mount_o...m_porsche.html

- 2 magnetic mounts for the tablet:
Amazon Amazon
Remove the rubber front cover, Dremel out the center of the plastic mount to create a level spot, drill small hole and insert 2mm screw with washer, replace rubber cover, attach to the T-design mount with a washer and nut on the rear. You could probably get away with just the adhesive, but I went the extra mile.

To do list: Need to re-run the tablet power cable such that it exits right next to the tablet. Also want a smaller/stealthier USB-C connector (might use one of those tiny/flat-cable 90-degree connectors)

Edit: The scratches on the T-Design mount are all me. It arrived in pristine condition.

Tablet use:
- Highway Radar app: Connects with the detector via Bluetooth and uses feed from Waze for police tracking on it’s integrated map. I also have it set to flash the screen on detection, and all audio alerts from the detector are routed through the tablet’s internal speaker (so it doesn’t interrupt Bluetooth audio) . This is such a great app and an overall excellent solution if you have a compatible Uniden detector. The detector itself is on mute/dark display, it’s out of the way, and all the info it provides is routed to the tablet screen & speakers.
- Waze: Obvious use case here.
- Apps for audio: Shortcuts to various music streaming platforms and radio stations, and Musicolet for locally-stored albums.

I also have 2 other shortcuts on the main screen. One is for the wifi connection, and the other is a shortcut to close all running apps (the app itself is “KillApps”). Basically, once I get back home, I shut down the wifi and close all running apps. This takes 3 “screen taps” in total and effectively puts the tablet in a super low power mode. It consumes about 3% battery per day in this state.

When I’m getting in the car, I use the shortcut on my S23 to enable its mobile hot spot (2 taps), then enable the wifi on the tablet (2 taps), and start up Highway Radar and whatever audio feed I want to listen to. So far this all works very good and is fairly efficient in terms of "process".

I hope some of you find this useful. Any questions, let me know.

Last edited by Natural1; 03-08-2024 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (03-10-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:00 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

A quick update to this. I saw an app named "Auto HotSpot" referenced in another forum/post. It will automatically enable your mobile hotspot based on a Bluetooth trigger. I have it set to enable when the phone connects to the PCM for calls.

So far it seems to be working well on my Samsung S23. Within 10 seconds of the phone connecting to PCM, wifi is disabled and the hotspot is activated. The reverse happens once the phone disconnects from PCM. Definitely helps to streamline the use of an Android tablet as the infotainment system, and would also be beneficial for those using an aftermarket head unit as a stand-alone device (meaning not using AA or Carplay)

-Don't know if this same app is available for iPhones.

Quick Reply: Phone/Tablet/Radar mounts and integration