Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel upgrade for 981

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 08:41 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a wheel similar to the one pictured at the beginning of this thread. Is there any chance that its air bag fits any of the more modern wheels with multi-function controls? For example, ebay lists serveral decent-looking wheels from mid and late teen Macans and Cheyannes, but would the air bag from a 2013 BS fit those wheels? Since new air bags retail for more than the wheels, it would be good use the one I have.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:47 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

No chance. The new wheels all use smaller airbags.
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
radiostar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question: I have the old Sport Design steering wheel for pdk and Sport chrono. I would now like to switch to a Macan or 718 standard pdk steering wheel. Is plug and play possible without an additional adapter?
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Since some of you have upgraded steering wheels, I have some questions concerning the conversion. I recall reading somewhere that in addition to the GPS adapter, one has to go to a Porsche dealer for some programming changes. Just wondering what that is for. I live a 100 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer, so I would like to avoid that task and expense if possible. My 981 BS has mult-function controls on existing wheel and the car is a 6-speed manual. Additionally, I have no sports chrono or GPS. In fact, my BS has only a few screens that are accessed by way of the existing mult-control selectors (i.e. radio channels, BT phone control, tire pressure and two engine status screens). I tried to understand the install instructions on GPS.com website, but found the various screens rather confusting. Finally, if I get a used wheel with PDK paddles, can these be removed and blank panels installed in the steering wheel cover. I ask this becasue I have yet to see a used wheel without paddles.
Old Today, 12:37 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Another option. Custom update to your existing steering wheel by Lindermanz... Any colors, any design, it's all completely bespoke.

Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; Today at 12:44 PM.
Old Today, 02:06 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
Since some of you have upgraded steering wheels, I have some questions concerning the conversion. I recall reading somewhere that in addition to the GPS adapter, one has to go to a Porsche dealer for some programming changes. Just wondering what that is for. I live a 100 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer, so I would like to avoid that task and expense if possible. My 981 BS has mult-function controls on existing wheel and the car is a 6-speed manual. Additionally, I have no sports chrono or GPS. In fact, my BS has only a few screens that are accessed by way of the existing mult-control selectors (i.e. radio channels, BT phone control, tire pressure and two engine status screens). I tried to understand the install instructions on GPS.com website, but found the various screens rather confusting. Finally, if I get a used wheel with PDK paddles, can these be removed and blank panels installed in the steering wheel cover. I ask this becasue I have yet to see a used wheel without paddles.
You will need coding by the dealer (or someone else with a PIWIS outfit) if you want to install a multifunction steering wheel and/or a heated wheel in a car that didn't have it from the factory. If you want to add heating to a car that didn't originally have it, or if you neglect to disconnect everything completely before removing your old wheel, you will need a new clock spring as well.

To upgrade the multifunction wheel in a car that was originally equipped with one, you will only need the GPS adapter. No coding will be needed.

Originally Posted by radiostar
Quick question: I have the old Sport Design steering wheel for pdk and Sport chrono. I would now like to switch to a Macan or 718 standard pdk steering wheel. Is plug and play possible without an additional adapter?
Yes, if there are no controls on either the old or the new wheel, no adapter is needed AFAIK. Just swap the hardware.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; Today at 02:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
radiostar (Today), TEF (Today)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel upgrade for 981